ADVERTISEMENT

WTF with Ollie!!!

victorio1234

Mar 7, 2010
Come on now. This is b.s. with E.C.U.!! New poster here, but I can't sit by and watch this coaching debacle. Maybe its time for some new blood in the UCONN coaching tree? I love Ollie and I'm pleased he's part of our coaching line, behind coach Calhoun, but some serious issues arise to me as to coach Ollie's awareness of being privileged to be the steward of the UCONN's men bb head coach!! WTF!!!!!

I've never been more dissapointed in a UCONN team since the days of Dee Roe. Even back then, with nothing more than the Yankee Conference teams
on our schedule, Uconn teams played with a fire in their bellies! Today, they seemed as though they were in a state of limbo! Again, WTF! Please, someone in power at UCONN, make Uconn great again!! Get some good coaching in Stores!

With Adams coming off injury, Vital out, and Purvis injured right before the game, this was a far from ideal game situation for the Huskies. It's not easy... look at the off-kilter lineups they had to use.

Next year will be a make or break season for Ollie but all the pieces are there for a huge rebound in 2018 and we've known that for a while.

Thank you for your interest in Uconn basketball.
I've been a fan of UCONN mens hoops since before I can remember. I've suffered and celebrated with all our ups and all our downs throughout my 66 years of life! I've lived through the years of Dee Rowe, Dom Perno, Jim Calhoun and now, KO. Even through those miserable years and good years, there was always hope at the end of the day, because the toughness and grit of the coaching staff and the players always came through and shined bright! However, based on how this year is going, I've lost all confidence in the ability of the coaching staff to right the ship!! To me it seems that ECU should have been an easy win, even on their home court. Guess I was wrong. Maybe ECU belongs in the ACC, not the AAC? Can you try to spare me the sarcasm and look at the overall picture of not only tonight's game, but the season as a whole. Are you really happy with how the season is going?

We've been discussing the "how's" & "whys" of this season ad nauseum and I've already waded through the silly accusations that I may appreciate mediocrity, I'm certainly not going to do it again with a supposed senior citizen who decided to make his 1st 5 hyper whiney posts during a loss.

We' e got 2 starters on the bench with medical redshirts, and during the past week 3 more suffered injuries.

Maybe you've been too busy being a fan to notice.

Perhaps we can conduct a national coaching search for a guy or gal who is trained to recognize future injuries

Last edited:
We've been discussing the "how's" & "whys" of this season ad nauseum and I've already waded through the silly accusations that I may appreciate mediocrity, I'm certainly not going to do it again with a supposed senior citizen who decided to make his 1st 5 hyper whiney posts during a loss.

We' e got 2 starters on the bench with medical redshirts, and during the past week 3 more suffered injuries.

Maybe you've been too busy being a fan to notice.
Perhaps we can conduct a national coaching search for a guy or gal who is trained to recognize future injuries
Your response sounds like a typical smart-assed hissy fit!! Insult those who you disagree with by attacking them anonymously on line. Who made you judge and jury in this forum? Yes, I may be a senior citizen and I may not be the most BBIQ guy on this board, but I do have my opinion. And yes, I did post during and after a loss, maybe with a dumb topic, but again Einstein, it is my opinion and I have a right to express it without your criticism!!!

No my response is appropriate for a guy who will magically disappear as soon as an Ollie led team experiences success.

You don't have the capital to warrant as much effort as I'm giving you

Uconn was clearly the more talented team.
ECU was clearly the more talented coaching staff.

Its that simple. Not sure what's going on or what needs to be done.

Uconn was clearly the more talented team.
ECU was clearly the more talented coaching staff.

Its that simple. Not sure what's going on or what needs to be done.

The last sentence was the only one you needed. Great 1st post.

Anderson and others, what # grades would you give Ollie 1-100(100 being the best) as a recruiter, game coach and developer of talent? So three different grades.

I dont care about the ECU game, we were down too many players for it to matter if we won or lost.

But I'll play CAN-MAN:

80- star rating get you a B, picking the right players with heart, Drive, UCONN men......get you not one point over an 80
70- Ive not been impressed since the last game Bazz played for Ollie.
65- really terrible at this especially bigs. Players leave early even without a 1st round rating......tells me a lot but then you look at ANY big you want to look at and the grade gets worse. Nolan, Brimah, Enoch.........all the exact same player as they were coming in day 1.

I think this has been a frustrating season and the finger pointing and lashing out have boiled over in this thread. I am trying to be as objective as possible and don't think Ollie is fully to blame. The two main issues with this team are (1) too many injuries and (2) the 3 seniors, Purvis, Brimah and Facey, haven't delivered in a consistent way and they are all lousy finishers. I think Ollie was hamstrung with his first recruiting classes due to sanctions and we are only now seeing teams with his own hand picked guys, and then they get hurt. I agree the jury is still out but he hasn't really played with a full deck in recruiting or roster wise since Day 1 at UConn. He has to turn it around next year and I think he will although it may take some time before he has a gelled team.

I hate giving grades & I feel like so much occurs beyond our knowledge that would potentially swing a grade 50 points left or right that it's a futile exercise. I'm doing it anyway

Recruiting- 80

Credit for the successful recruitment of top big man target Brown and late replacement Josh Carlton. Also a high mark for adding the best available grad transfers to patch losses related to APR sanctions. Credit for landing transfer Terry Larrier, who looks like a future NBA talent. Finally, a high score for collecting a top recruiting recruiting class the 1st year out of the APR sanctions shadow.

Not a perfect score for not using all available scholarships and I was unhappy with the effort and resource allocation for HD, which thankfully ended in a loss but they don't get credit for luck.

This grade could swing 20 points after seeing the contribution of next year's freshmen OR if unbeknownst to us KO has neglected to recruit guys who would have both had interest & are producing at a high level in cbb.

Game coach- 50

I don't like the substitutions, I think the attempts to run one off plays to start games and for inbounds plays and the insistence on running a pick and roll offense for the majority of his time here kills this grade. Calhoun left KO a built coaching staff and I do not believe he works well with it, he certainly has failed to take advantage of the collective knowledge on his bench thus far.

This grade doesn't swing at all, but it's trending up. This season he adopted a motion offense, adapted to run a zone, and has run every kind of defense known to man in order to hide AB's defensive deficiencies. Sometimes even when something doesn't work it's a positive decision.

Development- 90 (tentatively)

Toughest grade to give because it takes longer to offer data. People fail to give credit to KO for taking Bazz, Boat, Niels and DeAndre to the next level but want to throw patchwork projects like AB & Lubin on his resume.

People want to act like JC didn't have guys like Wolf, JCMD, Alex O, okwandu, Madeldove...make this list as long as you want. I'm convinced if KO had Dyson for 4 years he'd be raked over the coals for failing to develop him.

We really need to see what this current class becomes before we can make any sort of educated statements of support or condemnation.

Teacher's Comments-

I've read the moronic statement about Connecticut being a 60 foot heave away from not having a successful season and I'd like to point out just how juvenile that observation is. Every team needs luck at some point to win whether it be shots falling, good health or bad for another team or an opposing player attempting to take a time out in the closing seconds of the championship game when there were no time outs to give. The fact is that the team was in a position to capitalize on their luck, they were in it to win when given the opportunity and that's the entire point of the thing. Coaches give players a chance to win. Watch some basketball if you didn't know that.

Dom's statement about not being impressed with with a team since Bazz took the floor is fair but it's also a statement about the APR sanctions including limiting time on recruiting, loss of scholarships and a post season ban.

It's a statement about the recruitment of Lubin and projects like AB and Kentan without the benefit of being able to reach for a Drummond.

Dom is seriously pushing my buttons with the comments about guys (particularly bigs) not developing. Facey has absolutely developed into a solid ball player who'd benefit from having another solid and consistent big playing alongside him. The fact is that not all projects work out while others take a while to bear fruit.

The last point I want to make is to give credit to Nolan, how anybody could ever say that kid didn't live up to his potential through hard work and high iq is beyond me.

Last edited:
The writing is on the wall with Ollie
Everyone knows it

Any supporter can offer up any excuse they want, but the simple facts are these:
The administration had no intention of hiring him, Calhoun postered to get him hired.
He took over one of the top programs in the country and had immediate success.
Since 2014 it's been getting progressively worse.
He's made the tournament once in the last 3 years and was frankly lucky on the one.
He has not recruited a player that has been drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft, and scouts dont seem to think they have anyone on the current roster or committed that has that ability
He has yet to finish higher than 5th in the regular season in a horrible conference

He has next year to turn it around
If he does not he will be gone, period

The writing is on the wall with Ollie
Everyone knows it

Any supporter can offer up any excuse they want, but the simple facts are these:
The administration had no intention of hiring him, Calhoun postered to get him hired.
He took over one of the top programs in the country and had immediate success.
Since 2014 it's been getting progressively worse.
He's made the tournament once in the last 3 years and was frankly lucky on the one.
He has not recruited a player that has been drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft, and scouts dont seem to think they have anyone on the current roster or committed that has that ability
He has yet to finish higher than 5th in the regular season in a horrible conference

He has next year to turn it around
If he does not he will be gone, period

The only thing I wonder about now is has Ollie lowered the program to a point now where it is not as desirable because at this point a different coach would have to come in and rebuild this mess.

Poor Andersonfro
Anytime his BFF Kevin Ollie gets insulted he gets sooooooooooo upset
He's fine with UCONN playing in the lesser NIT tournament as long as Uncle Kevey has a job

For the real fans that have come to expect excellence, the list is being compiled and will turn into an action plan pending UCONN's Nov-DEC output in 2017

It's going to be a depressing senior day tomorrow that's for sure.
I suppose we can all reminisce about the Amidah Brimah putback and one against St Joe's
Outside of that............I should be on my way to Mohegan at about 1:30 while we struggle to break 50

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT