ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman Ineligible For Memphis

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is a game changer for Memphis and possibly for how Penny Hardaway is viewed as a recruiter, if he can’t keep his dudes eligible because he was involved in a recruitment as a booster.

Wiseman is the projected #1 NBA Draft Pick and this weakens Memphis substantially although they still have projected #14 pick Precious Achiuwa.

If it walks like a duck....everyone knew them grabbing Precious smelled fishy.......this isn't complicated..anyone who's donated money to a school's AD is a booster...we all get an NCAA handbook from Uconn every year that tells you the does and don't as a donor. The same one Penny was supposed to get from Memphis even before he was their coach. You can't go around giving tens of thousands to recruits, it's the rules.
Uconn got screwed because Nochimson who had a selfish interest as a wanna be NBA agent gave $3 or 4 grand to Nate Miles for medical bills which ended Miles college career. This wasn't to help Uconn.... it was to help Josh (a Uconn grad) make good with Miles who he thought he might've signed as an agent when he turned pro ( the joke was on you Josh).

But now Penny wants to give a Memphis recruit that kind of loot in 2017 ( and how much more did Penny gives these guys in cash) and he's the fricken Memphis coach ?.... The entire Memphis program is shady as F#$K if you asked me. Between Fed Ex and boosters even their FB team sucked for years, now suddenly Memphis community college has a top 20 FB program too. I guess they just followed the Calipari and Pitino footprint and figured " well even if we get caught we end up in a better place "....

But now they want to make their own rules and play this kid anyway because of some paid off judge they have in their pocket too. You gotta love these shady fricken good Ol' boys, can't wait to hear Aresco trying to cover for them because of the millions he's getting paid.... Uconn can't get away from these slimmy frauds quick enough..

Yahoo Sports- Memphis' mesasage to NCAA: Come and get us

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't that far off on Penny's MO:
D6y-Li4-UWw-AEn-Q6r.jpg

Reactions: permit22
When Wiseman’s family accepted that money in 2008 they probably were not thinking of college eligibility issues but once he started getting recruited why didn’t the family pay that back? There is probably no issue if they paid the $11,000 back to Hardaway and he also should have known this. There is no law against interest free loans being paid back long before college eligibility or recruitment.

When Wiseman’s family accepted that money in 2008 they probably were not thinking of college eligibility issues but once he started getting recruited why didn’t the family pay that back? There is probably no issue if they paid the $11,000 back to Hardaway and he also should have known this. There is no law against interest free loans being paid back long before college eligibility or recruitment.
No, they took the money in 2017 from Penny..he gave Memphis a large sum in 2008 which makes him a booster for life ( beside his ties as a player)...... But I don't want to hear Memphis's sniveling...does anyone remember when the NCAA made Boatright sit for a month or 2 checkin' his Mom's finances and then nothing improper was found ?
Boat never got those games back and he did nothing wrong...so Memphis needs to stop playing victim here. Now that they already lost a game with Wiseman they probably figured it's time to play ball because the NCAA can't forfeit the game they loss, so instead of being 1-1 they'll be 0-2 at worse do to an illegal player.

And they can still go after Memphis (which they should, just ask Shabazz or JC) for playing him anyway if the NCAA wants to be far and consistent, LOL :

Penny Hardaway was interviewed at halftime of the UConn game on CBS Sports Network last night, by Lisa Leslie and Tracy Wolfson. Although they questioned Hardaway sympathetically (especially Leslie), Hardaway said that he had been entirely transparent with the NCAA throughout the investigation and admitted giving money to Wiseman's family, but his point was that at the time he had absolutely no intention of ever coaching Memphis and only got into it because some friend dying of cancer asked him to do it as a favor. Hardaway said he had hoped for a fair resolution and although his words were somewhat measured and diplomatic, he clearly felt that the rule making him a booster was unfair because at the time he had no intention of going into coaching or recruiting someone to an NCAA school. His only intention was to help Wiseman out.

, but his point was that at the time he had absolutely no intention of ever coaching Memphis and only got into it because some friend dying of cancer asked him to do it as a favor. Hardaway said he had hoped for a fair resolution and although his words were somewhat measured and diplomatic, he clearly felt that the rule making him a booster was unfair because at the time he had no intention of going into coaching or recruiting someone to an NCAA school.

LOL!.... neither did Josh Nochimson or any other Uconn donor ever have any intention of coaching Uconn , but that didn't stop the NCAA sticking it to Uconn for Josh giving Miles money for medical bills and screwing Uconn because of it....nice try & lies Penny.... but read the frickin' rule book you fraud !

Last edited:
LOL...I guess Penny got his fair resolution....... Wiseman doesn't have to pay anything back and Penny's "goodwill" doesn't come tied with a 1st round draft pick playing for Memphis...:

Last edited:
Does Hardaway get his money back?
LOL....I know your probably joking....and I'm sure it wasn't Penny's plan..but you don't take back charity do you? ...;);)......but the Pat Forde article above says Penny still may have major problems......and as I said about the former Uconn student manager...... Do you think Nochimson got back Miles medical payments ? Not that Uconn cared if Josh the NBA agent wanabee did .....because Uconn or their HC had nothing to do with it.

But Penny's problem's are just beginning (again Miles never played for Uconn and it wasn't Calhoun giving the kid money but he still got sanctions for what Nochimson did).....according to Forde. " As a former player and donor at Memphis, Hardaway was a representative of the school’s athletics interests, making the payment impermissible.....While that burst of defiant bravado played well with the fans and probably felt good in the moment, it may ultimately prove very costly for the school and Hardaway. Multiple sources familiar with NCAA enforcement procedures told Sports Illustrated that a major infractions case targeting Memphis is now likely. As one source told SI: “This would fall under aggravating circumstances. Knowingly playing an ineligible player could give a Committee on Infractions panel the leverage to apply harsher sanctions.”

Last edited:
The classy thing for Wiseman to do once he signs his first contract would be to send Penny a check for $11.500 for helping his Mama in a time of need regardless of whether Penny asks for it. It’s what classy people do. And to avoid these issues in the future Memphis should give back the $1 million Penny gave them. Removing his booster status. Otherwise he remains a booster. I don’t buy into the money for nothing philosophy permeating our society. Where I come from money is earned and loans are paid back. Whether they were asked to be paid back or not. Otherwise your a freeloader

The classy thing for Wiseman to do once he signs his first contract would be to send Penny a check for $11.500 for helping his Mama in a time of need regardless of whether Penny asks for it. It’s what classy people do. And to avoid these issues in the future Memphis should give back the $1 million Penny gave them. Removing his booster status. Otherwise he remains a booster. I don’t buy into the money for nothing philosophy permeating our society. Where I come from money is earned and loans are paid back. Whether they were asked to be paid back or not. Otherwise your a freeloader
Read the NCAA rule book, giving the money back wont matter....( even for me as a booster) ...plus once you have ties to a school as a player, your a booster for life.( ask Ray & KO and this goes way beyond a phone call) And he certainly can't give money to player as a coach...duh... so the whole Penny removing his booster status can't happen, not in this lifetime anyway.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT