ADVERTISEMENT

Where's our depth?

victorio1234

Mar 7, 2010
I've heard so much talk of the depth that this team has. Well, where is it? Whaley is out, Akok a non factor, Reese a dribbling time bomb with the ball and RJ not winning me over with his TO's! So where's the depth?? What about Samson Johnson and his "wall potential"? How about Sool for RJ at times? What about some burn time for Springs? Well coach, where's the depth???

Hurley has said in pressers that UConn is a 9 man team and with Whaley out yesterday it was 8. I think the coaches do not feel Diggins and Johnson are ready for prime time like Hawkins is. As for Akok, he has had a couple good games but yesterday he was asked to fill Whaley's role, but it's not something he can do and this should be evident. Whaley was sorely missed yesterday.

Anyway I think the bench is a work in progress and will be developed. Richie Springs has looked good in his limited minutes and looks like he can add a rebounder who can mix it up inside. I hope these guys can develop to where they are ready for big games.

As for Akok, he has had a couple good games but yesterday he was asked to fill Whaley's role, but it's not something he can do and this should be evident. Whaley was sorely missed yesterday.
Yeah, on Akok, I think there is some misconception. I saw pre-season on TOS people thinking he was taking over the starting spot from Whaley. It just ain't happening and Akok can't guard a strong post player as it stands if he has to back up Sanogo. He's obviously lost alot in regards to shotblocking, timing and mobilty ( not that he was ever good away from the hoop) compared to his FR year/ pre-injury.

And even during his FR yr. he wasn't a good shooter or scorer down low. ( 43% FG/ 26 % 3pt). I thinks he's still a work in progress, because of the re-hab he's been through. I also think Springs might be the best choice at this point as a back up 5 with Whaley out. At least he can battle them on D and for boards.

Last edited:
Blades I totally agree with everything you said. Springs and not Akok is the true backup 5. The notion that Akok can step in for Whaley and not skip a beat is totally unrealistic and not fair to Akok based on where he is in his recovery from a horrendous injury.

Yeah, on Akok, I think there is some misconception. I saw pre-season on TOS people thinking he was taking over the starting spot from Whaley. It just ain't happening and Akok can't guard a strong post player as it stands if he has to back up Sanogo. He's obviously lost alot in regards to shotblocking, timing and mobilty ( not that he was ever good away from the hoop) compared to his FR year/ pre-injury.

And even during his FR yr. he wasn't a good shooter or scorer down low. ( 43% FG/ 26 % 3pt). I thinks he's still a work in progress, because of the re-hab he's been through. I also think Springs might be the best choice at this point as a back up 5 with Whaley out. At least he can battle them on D and for boards.
I love Akok too, but for whatever reason, he didn't play well yesterday. I haven't given up on his potential contribution to this team. Maybe his injury is still in the back of his mind? Who knows? Shouldn't coach have given some burn time to Samson since Akok was off? After all, it was coach who bragged on him.

I love Akok too, but for whatever reason, he didn't play well yesterday. I haven't given up on his potential contribution to this team. Maybe his injury is still in the back of his mind? Who knows? Shouldn't coach have given some burn time to Samson since Akok was off? After all, it was coach who bragged on him.
Samson looked good in the scrimage at Gampel I went to, but so far he's looked a little lost in real games during mop-up time. Kinda like alot of FR and he's rail thin. So we shall see if DH works him more during a few cupcake games coming up, but I'd say he's not ready for primetime. Which as DH mentioned, Hawkins is the only FR who is.

Samson needs around 25 more pounds and muscle. In the first game he got in against CCSU he was dominated down low by a very low rated D-1 team. Does not look ready

ADVERTISEMENT