ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the Husky commits (2021)

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Welcome to the first Husky of 2021:

Rahsool Diggins....6-2/180...PG...Archbishop Wood Catholic, Philadelphia, PA..(4 star /ranked #41 in 2020) per - Rivals.com
Other offers from: Florida, Kansas, Villanova, Virginia Tech, DePaul, Rutgers, Miami, Penn State, Wake Forest, Xavier

“He’s a special guard that’s crafty with the basketball,” said John Mosco, Archbishop Wood’s coach. “Makes everybody better around him, and he’s a winner, a team player. He gets by people. His shot’s getting better. He gets people involved, gets people the ball in the right places to score and he’s learned when to take over."

Last edited:
“That was a challenge right there that Hurley gave to me,” Diggins said. “He said it was a gutsy move. But at the end of the day, I think UConn was the best fit for me, rather than ‘Nova.” (HS Coach) Mosco noted that Hurley told him: “It’s gonna take a player with big (guts) to walk away from Villanova from the Philly area, and I think you have them.”

"A national top-50 recruit with point guard skills who can also shoot and score, Diggins boasts a high basketball IQ and good feel for the game. He can shoot from deep and mid-range, finish at the rim, is very shifty with the ball and is an elite passer who can hit teammates for lobs, kick-outs or passes off the pick-and-roll. He averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 assists and 5.3 rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from the floor last season and earning Philadelphia Catholic League Player of the Year honors as a junior..... In short, he’ll remind Husky fans of A.J. Price, the former point guard who led UConn to the Final Four in 2009 and played six seasons in the NBA. Interestingly, Moore was the point man for both players’ recruitment. "

Last edited:
Welcome to the next Husky of 2021:

Jordan Hawkins .... 6-5/170...SG... DeMatha Catholic, Hyattsville, MD ( 4 star- ranked #49 in 2020 ) per Rivals.com
offers from: Xavier, Louisville, Notre Dame, Maryland, Georgetown, Memphis, Marquette, LSU, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, Georgia, Clemson, Wake Forest...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishy. and CaNOLEE
UConn assistant Kenya Hunter was the lead recruiter for Hawkins, who said he also considered Maryland and Seton Hall, among others. He is four-star prospect ranked as the No. 11 shooting guard in the Class of 2021 by 247Sports.com. Hawkins averaged 12.5 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists last season while shooting 46 percent from beyond the arc and 89 percent from the line....“Jordan is the perfect blend of elite athleticism with an ability to shoot the ball at an elite level,” DeMatha coach Mike Jones said. “He also has embraced being a tremendous defender. Whichever college program he chooses will be getting someone who will be able to contribute at a high level immediately and that will only increase as he gets stronger.”
Full read:

" When asked how he thinks he will fit in with the roster, Hawkins said, “I think Rahsool and I, when we get there, we will be the best backcourt in the nation. I think we can do big things with him as a point guard and me as a scorer. When you add in their big guys and Andre, we are set up for the future........Connecticut now has two four-star commitments. Also, this commitment vaults the Huskies into the No. 13 spot in the 247Sports Class Recruiting Rankings."

Last edited:
I'd say!

I dont think we get to watch BBALL this year but man if we did......this is exciting with next year being even better. Unreal the talent he has assembled

Welcome to the 3rd Husky commit of 2021:

Samson Johnson
...F...6-10/205...Elizabeth, NJ (by way of Lomé, Togo) ( 4 star- Rivals.com, 24/7 Sports, ranked #71 by ESPN)
other offers: Marquette, Miami, St. John's, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Cincinnati, Georgia, Providence

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
" Johnson said the staff recruited him as a four (power forward), but he can play the five (center), as well. “I’m gonna bring some shot-blocking, I can run up and down (the floor), I can shoot the ball — 3’s, 2’s,” Johnson said, adding that his biggest areas of improvement are his handle and his strength. "

Last edited:
“I think in all of my years at St. Patrick’s and the Patrick School, his ceiling is as high as I have ever seen and I’ve been here for 30 years," Patrick School head coach Chris Chavannes told Rivals.com. "He’s a vacuum, he’s a sponge and it is all so new to him. His upside, it is huge. He works, he shoots and he picks things up a lot.....“Anytime somebody new came into our facility to see him play they say he has a pro window and that kind potential."....Playing as a junior on a team loaded with talents like Jonathan Kuminga and Adama Sanogo, Johnson's role was to run the floor, block shots, rebound and finish around the rim. Still he showed promise away from the rim and the belief in him as a guy who can play at the four was big for UConn.... Jayhaws executive director Jay David said. "He felt comfortable with UCONN and their plan for him. His familiarity with Adama also helped in his decision ! "

."

That wraps up the Uconn MBB class of 2021 with 3 SR's (Josh, Tyler & Isaiah ) leaving from this years team.....( unless/until James becomes a lottery pick next year / or if anyone else leaves early )
Uconn-hoops-2021-22-b.jpg

Last edited:

"Ascent within the sport is becoming more realistic"- That's an odd comment by Corey Evans and the guy who replied to him is right. The team was on an ascent even before the 3 2021 recruits were signed. The team for 2020-2021 looks like top 3 In Big East, maybe top 25 nationally. Lunardi already has UConn as a 10 seed in the NCAA tournament which might be on the low side.

The 3 guys for 2021 insure that the team will continue to be very good. More importantly Hurley is dominating his home state of NJ, over the likes of Seton Hall, Villanova and Rutgers. Recruiting pipelines are being created.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Very true @ CaNOLEE and @ KhalidShockedTheWorld

What's incredible is the amount of high level/4 star depth ( plus high end transfers) DH has created with the Uconn brand and Hurley brand from his Dad and his own grass roots connections, working his way up as a HS coach himself for years. ( similar to Calhoun). It just shows that you can't fake it if your not real and nothing more than a parrot ( KO), no matter how many Uconn connections he had from the past. Finishing up a recruiting class this soon, instead of scrambling 3-4 month before the start of a season for some low end, low major transfers, JUCO's who couldn't play D or dunkers from Alaska (again KO) seems to be a bad dream of the past. It's amazing how little traction KO got from a NC (with Calhoun's proteges) and how bad you have to be to screw things up.

DH was already moving this thing along smoother than we knew, even before last summer with 4 star guys Akok, Bouk and Gaf already in the fold, but since he's added the BE brand to the Uconn and Hurley mix, it's next level stuff with the depth he's creating ahead of the game. In case and when he does lose players to the league/ draft. I also like that he's focusing on the recruits that are just outside the one and done types who seem to come with too much drama. Dan and his staff have already proved they can coach guys up and are real enough to move on from KO's guys that just didn't have it ( AG & Wilson). I'm ready to watch this thing take off, now all we need is a healthy planet....so LET's GO !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
I also think it's a good idea to recruit second tier guys just outside one and done status. Calhoun did this even before one and done became a de rigeur strategy for top 10-15 high school recruits. National championships were built off such guys staying 3 years like Hamilton, El Amin, Okafor, Gordon, Walker etc.

No commits today?

Wtf! This coach is obviously resting on his laurels! ;)

im just praying we get to see Bouk for another season. That could parlay into more recruiting. And wins.

There are no more available scholarships for 2021, unless Bouknight leaves or someone transfers after this season.

Welcome to the 3rd Husky commit of 2021:

Samson Johnson ...F...6-10/205...Elizabeth, NJ (by way of Lomé, Togo) ( 4 star- Rivals.com, 24/7 Sports, ranked #71 by ESPN)
other offers: Marquette, Miami, St. John's, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Cincinnati, Georgia, Providence

FWIW : Samson Johnson.....just got bumped up 40+ spots in 247 Sports new rankings.......

New Rank: No. 74

Old Rank: No. 115

Welcome to the first Husky of 2021:

Rahsool Diggins....6-2/180...PG...Archbishop Wood Catholic, Philadelphia, PA..(4 star /ranked #41 in 2020) per - Rivals.com
Other offers from: Florida, Kansas, Villanova, Virginia Tech, DePaul, Rutgers, Miami, Penn State, Wake Forest, Xavier

“He’s a special guard that’s crafty with the basketball,” said John Mosco, Archbishop Wood’s coach. “Makes everybody better around him, and he’s a winner, a team player. He gets by people. His shot’s getting better. He gets people involved, gets people the ball in the right places to score and he’s learned when to take over."

New story from:

and highlights

Full watch of SLAM HS all star game featuring future Uconn teammates Rahsool & Samson who was -MVP (double-double + 6 blocks)

Last edited:
The pair are also teammates out in AZ next week-end on the Pangos All-American east squad:

Sport Illustrated Top 99 with link to SI scouting report and highlights for each player

#43- PG Rahsool Diggins / Warminster, Pa. (Archbishop Wood Catholic) – Connecticut
# 56- PG Jordan Hawkins / Hyattsville, Md. (DeMatha Catholic) – Connecticut
#73- C Samson Johnson / Elizabeth, N.J. (The Patrick School) – Connecticut

Reactions: Stainmaster
More height and versatility in the backcourt is a good thing.... 🏀

Last edited:
Reactions: Stainmaster
ADVERTISEMENT