ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the Husky commits (2022)

Hey Russ I see that Rivals Crystal Ball is working pretty good! You can probably skip the oil change this month.......LOL

Here's a longer interview below than the one with Adam Finkelstein . Kinda reminds me more of an explosive (slightly taller) Tony Robertson type than a Brendan Adams. All I can say is he gives a very balanced and thoughtful interview for someone who just turned 17 years old. Also wonder if he would have moved up in the rankings with more live AAU competition this summer ( no Covid ). As I posted in the other thread he was team mates in the SLAM HS event with Samson and Rahsool back in OCT. ( Nice sequence at the 14:30 mark with Rahsool hitting Corey in the corner for a 3 ball followed by a Samson block leading to an alley oop dunk by Corey going the other way)....

Rahsool is always promoting and Corey also mentions getting a big, specifically Donovan Clingan (the 7-1 center from CT) on board with Uconn now that the backcourt seems to be stocked up for the future with Diggins, Hawkins and himself.

Last edited:
I was impressed by his mixtape. He has a college-ready body and his shooting form looks very good. Regarding the Tony Robertson comp, Tony was a couple of inches shorter and was much higher rated- at least top 50. Tony was a combo guard also with a college-ready body who ended up being a serviceable player for UConn. I remember him being a frequent whipping boy of Calhoun's wrath, but he stuck it out with UConn.

Floyd's size might give him the chance to be a little more impactful than Tony was.

Regarding the Tony Robertson comp, Tony was a couple of inches shorter
Floyd's size might give him the chance to be a little more impactful than Tony was.
Didn't I just say that ? " reminds me more of an explosive (slightly taller) Tony Robertson type"
Yeah I know Tony was listed as 6-2....Plus Floyd's 6' 9" wing span and 39.5" verticle won't hurt. One thing regarding his Soph mix tape ( in the other thread) until now, he looks like he's gained some LBS. over the Covid shutdown, that him and @MRStrengthUC might have to work on.

Here's another quick look:

Last edited:
" UConn is expected to have several prospects on campus over the next few weeks, including a talented pair of Class of 2023 recruits — 6-foot-7 small forward Tyler Bol-Bown (unofficial, June 8), point guard Jayden Lemond (unofficial, June 10) — along with 2022 targets- Ty Rodgers (official, June 10-11), point guard Denver Anglin (unofficial, June 17) and 6-8 small forward Alex Karaban (either official or unofficial, June 21). Donovan Clingan, the Class of 2022 7-footer from Bristol Central, will make an unofficial visit later this month, then take an official July 1-2. "

Welcome to the next Husky of 2022 !

Donovan Clingan (Rivals profile -#44 ).......C......7-1/265..........Bristol, CT

Clingan's final
list of 8 schools were UConn, Michigan, Syracuse, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Georgetown and Providence.

Storrs Central: Donovan Clingan commits to UConn
"Clingan will be the first Connecticut player to join the Huskies since Steve Enoch in the Class of 2015 and potentially marks a breakthrough for the program in in-state recruiting."

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Aman, Dan, and Daniel discuss the hugeness of this pickup, what kind of team will be around Clingan in Storrs, and the overall success of Hurley and the coaching staff’s recruiting efforts.

Hartford Courant:

Dom Amore: How UConn men’s coaches went the extra mile to keep Donovan Clingan

www.courant.com

Seriously, any comps on his game? He looks good finishing with both hands And might be able to pass a little.

Obviously great size, but not an elite athlete. Looks like he has good form on his shot, but most of his highlights are from the block.

Seriously, any comps on his game? He looks good finishing with both hands And might be able to pass a little.
Obviously great size, but not an elite athlete. Looks like he has good form on his shot, but most of his highlights are from the block.
Yeah me too, the cliche , you can't coach size, seems to apply here. Also a typical young big who needs to grow into his game, (most except the elite bigs usually take longer to develop) But I don't see him as an immediate impact guy, hopefully he becomes a better version of Jake V. And then the elite offers say alot good coaches were in, so there's that.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Looks like his classmate Floyd has an amazing offer list as well, despite not being an above the rim high flying wing. But he has a really strong body to create space.

These are the types of guys that are going to stick around The program and contribute.

Reactions: the Blades
But I don't see him as an immediate impact guy, hopefully he becomes a better version of Jake V.
Jake Voskuhl started 30 of 33 games his freshman year so he must have had an immediate impact. I think he was the best fundamental center UConn had, ever, and he also had a 9 year NBA career which a lot of guys would love to have. If Donovan has the same solid fundamentals in everything he does, as Jake did, it will be a good starting point for him.

Jake Voskuhl started 30 of 33 games his freshman year so he must have had an immediate impact. I think he was the best fundamental center UConn had, ever, and he also had a 9 year NBA career which a lot of guys would love to have. If Donovan has the same solid fundamentals in everything he does, as Jake did, it will be a good starting point for him.
I was waiting for you on a Jake reference, Mr. KSTW and for you to give us your Jake recap that we've heard here many times. :D....And yes I do know Mr. Voskhul did start often as a FR, but Jake did not have an Adama Sanogo ahead of him, so I'd guess given that, young Mr. Clingan will be able to develop at a much slower pace, which doesn't seem to be a bad thing....If he can, to become a better version of JV.

Last edited:
Welcome to the next Husky of 2022 !!!

Alex Karaban (Rivals profile)......6-8/210...F.....(#45 ESPN)....(IMG) Bradenton, FL​

Played for Expressions Elite on the Nike EYBL circuit this summer (18.6 pts / 7.1 rebs/ 100.0 % FT's- 36-36)
chose UConn over Notre Dame, G-Town, Stanford, Ohio State, Indiana, Butler, LSU, BC, Marquette and others.

Last edited:
New from Borges:

" But they’ve also backed off of plenty whom they could have had traction on, simply because he wasn’t quite the right fit.......Lately, there has been a bit of a shift in the type of player UConn has recruited. It’s nearly impossible to survive in college basketball these days without at least a few 3-point threats, and while the Huskies didn’t shoot the ball horribly last season (33.5-percent, 179th in the nation), it certainly could be better."

" Freshman Jordan Hawkins could help alleviate that this season. So could Akok Akok, who those around the program say has looked tremendous in practice lately....Karaban is an even better example......And he can shoot. And right now, that is what UConn is looking for. Shooters. "

It's true that UConn has not had a good 3 point shooting team since the 2014 title team had 3 guys go over 40%- well over 40%- in starters Giffey, Daniels and Napier. Giffey, who shot over 50% most of that season and ended at a ridiculous 48% after leading the nation most of the year, somehow lost his starting job to Lasan Kromah. Although Ollie, in what may have been a championship winning decision, reversed that mistake and started Giffey again in the postseason, realizing he provides both the 3 and the D.

Next year's UConn team actually has 3 returning players who could go over 40%. Polley, if healthy, is a 3 point shooting stud and would seem to be a lock to do so. Gaffney, who has a beautiful 3 point stroke that looks like it should be over 40% with some seasoning and practice, could very well get there this year now that he is an upperclassman. And R.J Cole hit 38.7% of his 3s last year and would seem to be not far away from going over 40%. Between those 3 guys, there will be very good to excellent 3 point production. Hard to say what Hawkins will give them, as freshman do not usually step in and shoot 40% (OK Ray Allen shot 40% his freshman year, .402, but he is in the HOF. Comparison: Rashad Anderson and Ben Gordon, who shot lights out on 3s in 2004 postseason title runs, shot 39.3% and 41.7% as freshman. Yep, Gordon was better than Allen, and Gordon shot a blistering 43.3% on 3s his last year, 2003-04, despite a horrific midseason shooting slump, which tells you exactly how hot he was in the 9 postseason games).

You would take it if Hawkins shoots 35% and praise the shooting Gods if he hits 37%, but that may not happen. Akok could maybe give them a 35%-36% mark and it is also possible that Tyrese Martin could hit that range. So if all that happens they will have a good 3 point shooting team. The guy who could drag them down some if he shoots too much is Andre Jackson, as he is the only one who should have a red light and maybe, with all these other guys who can shoot, he should have the red light.

Last edited:
Uconn's class of 2022 is now down to 2 but here's the new rankings( hint: Karaban jumped up 66 spots and Clingan is up 17 spots)

Welcome to the next Husky of 2022 !!!

Alex Karaban (Rivals profile)......6-8/210...F.....(#45 ESPN)....(IMG) Bradenton, FL​

It was mentioned awhile back, AGAIN...From Borges last night:
"UConn could get a new addition to the roster in as soon as a week. Alex Karaban.....who committed to the Huskies this summer, could possibly enroll at the school early and join the team. If he did, Karaban could be with UConn shortly after Christmas — though he almost certainly won’t play this season, much like Akok Akok did a few years ago and guard Cory Floyd Jr. is doing this season. "

ADVERTISEMENT