ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the 2019 Huskies (Official)

Jalen Gaffney......PG....6-2/175..... Columbus, NJ (Westtown School , PA)
Final 6- Clemson, Connecticut, Florida, Pittsburgh, St. John's and Xavier

Must of been a great visit this week-end. Guess those planned visits to Xavier, Clemson and St. John’s won't be needed? Also noticed he jumped up about 70 spots recently on the 247-National rankings and is now a 4 star with them too. Plus he's grown from 6-0 to 6-2/ 6-3 (depending on who reports it), and as I posted in the other threads, his AAU coach( Mike Rice) said his body is just now catching up to his skill set and “He’s a great decision-maker with Russell Westbrook like athleticism.”

Borges NHR- Jalen Gaffney commits to UConn men's basketball team

Last edited:
Jalen Gaffney......PG....6-2/175..... Columbus, NJ (Westtown School , PA)
Final 6- Clemson, Connecticut, Florida, Pittsburgh, St. John's and Xavier

Must of been a great visit this week-end. Guess those planned visits to Xavier, Clemson and St. John’s won't be needed? Also noticed he jumped up about 70 spots recently on the 247-National rankings and is now a 4 star with them too. Plus he's grown from 6-0 to 6-2/ 6-3 (depending on who reports it), and as I posted in the other threads, his AAU coach( Mike Rice) said his body is just now catching up to his skill set and “He’s a great decision-maker with Russell Westbrook like athleticism.”

Borges NHR- Jalen Gaffney commits to UConn men's basketball team

Gaffney takes home POG as his team knocks off Brewster who feature 5 star PG Jalen Lecque and 5 total P-5 commits

“He was the best player in New Jersey,” Bob Hurley said. “We beat every post grad team in New Jersey, all guys going to high majors, and RJ would go out and score 35, being guarded by guys who were going to a higher level than he was. He would just torch them. UConn is getting a really good player.”

From the JI:
“Everyone that comes in here just asks me if he can get a waiver,” Hurley said with a smile this week.

Last edited:
I noticed that Danny Hurley has had good success recruiting these guys who played for his father at St. Anthony’s, but now that Bob is no longer coaching and that pipeline has dried up, what’s going to replace it?

I noticed that Danny Hurley has had good success recruiting these guys who played for his father at St. Anthony’s, but now that Bob is no longer coaching and that pipeline has dried up, what’s going to replace it?
Well at last count it's only 2, Tarin Smith and RJ Cole, so I think he'll do alright....but where's the beef ? ( and height ??? )

New story from the Courant:
“It’s been great working with Coach [Alosi],” Akok said. “I’m just trying to put on an extra couple of pounds and help my game defensively, banging down low with big guys.” He says he has gained about six pounds for his slender frame, which would put him near 200, and his shoulders look as if he has, indeed, added muscle. The Huskies, at the moment, are thin in the front court. Josh Carlton, who will be a junior, made a step forward last season under Hurley, sharing the American Athletic Conference’s most improved player award. Isaiah Whaley, who played little last season, is the primary backup at center. At times, Akok could be in the center of a small, quick lineup.......Without a true “rim protector,” Hurley had to get away from the pressure defense that is his signature during last season. With Akok’s shot-blocking helping them now, there is the promise that the Huskies’ guards can stay aggressive.

Akok Akok working quietly, diligently to improve his game for UConn men

H3ZQICE7MREWDJXQXCT35ZAITY.jpg

Last edited:
There are a lot of guys on the team who need to add muscle and get stronger- Polley, Wilson and Whaley for starters. There were a lot of pathetic rebounding stats put up and it was only with a surge at the end of the year that Carlton overtook Vitale as the team's leading rebounder. Hopefully Sal Alosi can get all of these guys strong enough to become a competitive rebounding team. UConn is not deep at the 4 and 5 positions- it's 3 guys for the 2 positions unless Polley plays the stretch 4, but you cannot be a 4 averaging 2 boards a game. It just is not allowed.

I read James had some injury issues last year, guess he's feeling OK...;):

Last edited:
Reactions: permit22
"I think I can stretch the floor and become a really good combo forward,'' said Springs. "I'll also bring a ton of energy whether I'm in the game or on the bench. I also want to become the best rebounder in the conference."

Official - Springs Joins UConn Men's Basketball

"Richie's background in basketball, playing for the PSA Cardinals at a high level in the EYBL circuit and his performance at the Peach Jam, plus his experience in the highly-competitive New England Prep School league is really going to prepare him to play at a high level here," Hurley said. "He gives us a young, talented, still-maturing, still-physically developing 6-9 athletic frontcourt player. He's a quality student-athlete, from a strong background in terms of his family and advisors. He's the type of quality person and player who we feel can help us compete for championships."

Was just looking at 24/7 team rankings as of 8/13/19...... noticed Uconn is now up to # 18 nationally since Springs was added. Also noticed Gaffney has jumped 52 spots since last NOV. and is also rated as a 4 star player now...Akok is still a 5 star in the 24/7 rankings ( # 22 overall player ranking ) but he dropped down to a 4 star in the 247Sports Composite because alot of sites don't rank him as a 2019 anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT