ADVERTISEMENT

WATCH: UConn Women's Basketball Postgame (Providence) - 1/30/22

I was very disappointed by this performance by UConn, even though Edwards had a pretty solid game starting for Dorka and looked like she wanted her starting job back.

I was very disappointed by this performance by UConn, even though Edwards had a pretty solid game starting for Dorka and looked like she wanted her starting job back.
First time I've watched a WBB game in awhile. To put it bluntly I can't believe how low IQ on offense and how bad the defense has become with these girls compared to Geno's teams of just a few years ago. He seems like he's recruited more depth, height and 5 star players than ever, but these girls are just plain dumb when looking at most of Geno's teams from the past.

Always reaching and fouling, which is just the opposite of his past teams when they would play great position D with their feet and hardly ever foul or use their hands, except on steals or blocks. Then the flat out laziness and snails pace the offense goes to in stretches, with to much dribbling, the ball not movin' and just doing stupid things with the ball. Compared to the well oiled machine of just a few years ago and forever. I've got a sneakin' suspicion this group overall, doesn't take coaching very well, think they are better than they really are or Geno's had to lighten up to this generation of new players and he can't be the same hard ass that he was known for, to drill it into them. Or some combination of it all. But I got news for these gals, most of them are mediocre compared to their lofty rankings, probably because they don't listen to their coach. Providence a 4-7 Big East team looked more focused and played harder.

Last edited:
It was a poor performance that baffled me. They played poorly in stretches against DePaul (including a 21-2 run against, similar to what South Carolina did to them), but they recovered and played decently in the second half. I expected them to easily handle Providence by 20-25 points but they struggled to get a half time lead and then seemed to tread water. They do not have the mojo of past UConn WBB teams. What is most noticeable to me is that they really struggle to make outside shots and their halfcourt offense is not good. They have not played well enough on D in forcing TOs to get enough transition offense, but on the rare occasions when they have been able to get transition buckets, they have looked good. They just do not have very good chemistry and do not show signs of finding it. I would say that the streak of 12 straight Final 4s is in very serious danger of ending, in fact I would be surprised if they make the FF.

ADVERTISEMENT