ADVERTISEMENT

WATCH: UConn Women's Basketball Postgame (Georgia Tech) - 12/9/21

Brutal game to watch. UConn is missing 4 injured rotation players, and nobody who is left can make any shots.

Brutal game to watch. UConn is missing 4 injured rotation players, and nobody who is left can make any shots.
Thanks for the update...Glad I didn't watch it, maybe Geno needs more 5 star players on his roster ...;)
Wasn't Williams a #1 ranked recruit too ? Looks like Geno is turning into Calipari.

• Haha
Reactions: CaNOLEE
The below comments of Geno on last night's game are, I think, accurate. What stood out is that the team looked disorganized and uncohesive in the face of good D, nobody could make any outside shots at all, and the team look disheartened on defense. It was easily the worst I have ever seen UConn WBB look on offense. Nelson-Ododa was OK but literally everyone else was terrible last night. Williams, unless she is out in transition or has a person on her that can't play D and can be beaten one on one, cannot make any shots. Juhasz has been a HUGE disappointment- gets her shot blocked by smaller players regularly. And Edwards, embarrassingly, missed two uncontested layups, one in which she was all alone and streaking in without a hint of defense.

Geno's comments sound incredibly depressed and like someone who is close to retiring:

"We're disorganized as a group right now, from the coaching on down," Auriemma said. "There is no sense of [having] a plan of how we're going to execute, how we're going to get a bucket, who's going to get it for us.

"Scoring is a function of people working together. I thought Georgia Tech did a great job of that. Their post players worked really well together, really controlled the game. In that fourth quarter, we didn't respond. Which has happened before with this team. So you can blame Paige not being here -- yeah, that's part of it -- but that's not the real story."

"I don't think it's gonna get fixed," he said. "I really don't. I've been doing this a long, long time. Coaches are supposed to be eternal optimists. I'm too old to be an optimist. I'm a realist. I truly believe what I see. I don't try to make up what I'm seeing and pretend it's something else. I know what I see.

"And what I see is a team that's somewhat disheveled. And that's on me. Somehow, some way I do not have the ability at this point in time to affect my players to make sure that we're in a better place mentally and physically, to play the kind of basketball we need to play.

"I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. We get really good players coming out of high school, but they get better and better and better every year. And right now, that's not happening."

Sounds like someone who's been to full of himself for to long with HBO specials and players who came to Uconn to be a bunch of front runners and for the glitz and glamour, despite their lofty rankings. So I'm glad he's being honest. How many #1 ranked players has he had since Stewie and none of them can produce in the clutch except Paige ( oh wait, he wants to keep her on the floor up 20 pts for no reason in garbage time, SMH !)

Last edited:
The game against UCLA Saturday should be interesting. It's hard to say UConn should be the favorite after the way they played last night. Everyone wants to see a UConn double header sweep Saturday in NJ, and it could happen (and likely would happen if both teams were at full strength), but it could go the other way with a painful sweep of both UConn teams. This is why we need to watch the games and see what happens!

By the way, The Register is reporting that the UConn-UCLA game will be the first women's college basketball game ever broadcast nationally on ABC. The men's game to follow will be on ESPN2.

Khalid nailed it.

Edwards was the third best frosh in the country last year. She wouldn’t be the third girl off the bench for Hartford this season. She looks terrible. And CW looked like John starks in the nba finals against Houston last night. Disappointing after playing so well late last season.

evina forced some 3’s. She should watch more Chris Paul(or Paige) vids and hunt the mid range shot, because she’s very good from there. We need a lot more of her today.

the ohio state girl has been bad, I’d rather see the Frosh Deberry,

this is looking a lot like The end of Bobby Bowden’s run. Let’s see if our old dog can learn a new trick. At least he accepted some responsibility in the presser. I’m just not sure if he believes it.

I don't think Edwards being bad is Geno's fault. She is out of shape and is missing uncontested layups. When she missed those 2 uncontested layups, was Geno supposed to yell "relax!!!!" from the bench? What coaching assists a player in making layups during a game?

Regarding Christyn Williams, she has mostly been up and down for 4 years now, and her main issue is she can't knock down any 3s. This year she is shooting 3s at an Andre Jackson level so far.

Evina has forced 3s, and the reason why is nobody else can make any and they need to make some. She is probably the best 3 point shooter left of the starters, and Ducharme off the bench is the only other player that can make one. Lack of 3 point shooting is making the team look much worse than it really is, and when Bueckers and Fudd come back, those problems will start to go away as long as they are taking 80% of the 3s.

One player you did not mention is McLean who was also inserted into that game and was totally ineffective.

I think we will see more of DeBerry today due to the ineffectiveness of Edwards/Juhasz.

I don't think Edwards being bad is Geno's fault. She is out of shape and is missing uncontested layups.
Then it's not just me. I don't follow the women 10% of what I do the men, but noticed Edwards seems
as wide as a house and looks like she can't move from what I remember last year. Overall something seems to have happened from the top on down, maybe I don't know, Geno becoming to friendly/or soft than the younger version.

Some players can handle that but others probably need a constant kick in the butt. Either way like Calipari, he seems to be a victim of his own recruiting success but unlike Cal he doesn't get one and dones. With certain players who don't reach close to their potential, as he mentioned. #1 ranked players, Meghan Walker and Williams being the latest, not close to being leaders. And with alot of players who seem to come to Uconn for what it can do for them not the other way around. ( obviously not Paige)

Or ONO who hasn't learned in 4 years to stop shooting from and starting the ball down at your hip when your 6-5 and keep the ball over your head. That's like a coaching 101 no brainer, but still it hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Then it's not just me. I don't follow the women 10% of what I do the men, but noticed Edwards seems as wide as a house and looks like she can't move from what I remember last year.
Your eyes are not lying. UConn WBB fans need to pray that Edwards is not on her way to becoming UConn's version of Zion Williamson, who has reportedly ballooned to 330 pounds and has not even practiced yet this year:

The players absolutely have to take responsibility for their ineffectiveness. As does the coach for the overall poor play.

Hopefully they start turning the corner today.

ADVERTISEMENT