ADVERTISEMENT

WATCH: UConn Men's Basketball Postgame (Cincinnati) - 2/9/2020

We definitely got a call at the end and I hate winning that way.

That being said, it made up for about 7 terrible calls in the last ten minutes.

Two nice wins in a row. Keep building confidence and momentum and our depth should help come the American tourney time.

We definitely got a call at the end and I hate winning that way.

That being said, it made up for about 7 terrible calls in the last ten minutes.

Two nice wins in a row. Keep building confidence and momentum and our depth should help come the American tourney time.

I agree, Cumberland was fouled on that last shot, probably would have made 1 of 2 at least at the line. However, there were a couple of bad calls in the final minutes as you mentioned. I felt like Cincy got a bit of a gift on the last possession as it was hard to tell who the ball went out on, and I felt like the no call on Cumberland may have been a make up on reversing an iffy call.

The main reason UConn won this game was the 18 offensive boards. If you noticed the last few games, the rebounding and in particular the offensive rebounding was very good. I don't recall the last time UConn had 18 or more O boards in a game and against a team like Cincy, you HAVE to have it.

The game was close at the end only because Adams missed 2 FTs and Vital took a couple of bad shots, although Vital also had a key O board on an airballed 3 pointer by Adams that fortunately caught some back board.

UConn needs more out of Akok and Gaffney in my opinion. They were not doing much to hurt the cause today, but not a lot to help it either. Gaffney has to sink a couple of 3s, the kid has a nice shot and they got to do something to free him. Akok doesn't seem to have much comfort for doing anything other than spot up shooting. And very occasional garbage off an O board. He doesn't have any offensive moves or instincts of note. It's a problem because Carlton is not giving UConn much inside except rebounds and a few blocked shots, which is fine, but you can't have all your 4s and 5s be offensive zeroes.

Last edited:
Good post, Khalid.

Nice to win a game when you shoot 36% from the field and 62% from the line, especially against a solid team. It won’t happen often, but sometimes you have to win in the muck.

Was Gilbert hurt? I would have played him more after the game he played at Tulsa.

I agree, Cumberland was fouled on that last shot, probably would have made 1 of 2 at least at the line.
Really? Check out the shot clock before there was any contact.

1581280213444-png.50749

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I was group texting with friends how we were getting hosed and my Duke buddy(he’s actually a decent fan) commented that ‘we got a make up’ at the end.

I texted back’how did he do that much with the ball with only 2.8 on the clock’. But they only showed the replay once. Btw Who was the doing the color? Mick Cronin?

Hurley in his presser said nothing about a shot clock violation. Instead he said that "there was no way Cincy was getting that call" on a lean in (although Vital fouled it did look like Cumberland was hunting contact).

However if you go back and watch the actual tape of Hurley reacting to the play, he thought the refs HAD called a foul and then his body language changed when he realized they didn't.

In any event, the bad and borderline calls mostly balanced out, even the Cincy coach Brannen said so. UConn won the game with offensive rebounding, overcoming 36% FGs and 61% FT shooting. 18 offensive boards, we have not seen that in a while.

Last edited:
Technically the game was over. If they went to the monitor its confirmed, game over.

Anyway, the overturn was weak right before that. You cant overturn that without an angle from above that concludes that Williams' forearm didnt hit it last. There just was not enough evidence to overturn that. For the record I think Vital pushed Williams' forearm into the ball so UConn ball. That was a bad overturn.

We need to talk about Carlton and Vital/Christian:

Carlton: He is progressively getting worse. That was a TERRIBLE game that he single handily made close. The start to the second half was the worst I've seen a UConn big play maybe ever. His offense is below bad, his passing is below bad, his defense is average at best, his toughness is below bad and his IQ is just not there. Saying all of that its DH who needs a ripping for KEEPING HIM OUT THERE. He cost us 8-10 points on our side of the scoreboard and gave up another 8-10 for Cinci.

Vital/Christian: Just look up what DH said after the game and get back to me.......DH said it perfectly what I have been saying for 3 years about the kid.

Overall this team looks REALLY impressive. I would love to see this new AG off the bench thing work with a subdued Christian being lead by The Bouk of James go deep and maybe pull off the AAC tourney.

*Whaley, while still sloppy as heck when he has the ball for more than 3 seconds, has been UNREAL. I have been hard on that kid but for all the decline we see in Carlton....we see an even greater RISE in Whaley.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Carlton did have 10 rebounds, but his offensive work is poor. And here is another bizarre stat- Akok played 39 minutes in a game against Cincy, the most physical team UConn will play maybe all season, and had ZERO fouls in those 39 minutes to go with 4 points, 6 boards and 2 blocks. Something is not computing with him- does he not like contact? I have never seen a shot blocker who fouls less and I am trying to figure out why that is. I do like that he is able to stay out on the Court for 39 minutes, but I am left wanting more. Especially since Carlton is not giving UConn anything offensively and has regressed.

Another issue- with Bouknight- he hit his average assists per game today- 1. Has any starting guard averaged 1 assist a game for a season at UConn? What happens when they start to double team him?

Great win for UConn today but Vital and Bouknight have to do better with their shot selection.

I thought Akok was supposed to be a good 3pt shooter. I wonder if Gaffney ankle is 100% healed because I don't see the expposiveness that I saw in high school.

I saw the stat of 10 boards and laughed. I wonder if anyone knew he had more than 1 or 2.

Akok is an odd one......somethings up with him as he has not found his way.....in fact he has steadily gone down this year. I like having him out there and dont mind the 3's but I hope he hits his stride.

Reactions: Walker15
ADVERTISEMENT