ADVERTISEMENT

vs. Oregon (THU Nov 24- 8pm) @ the PKI - TV: ESPN2

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
For a preview of Uconn's first opponent, they are playing @ 9:30 tonight vs. #3 Houston on ESPN.

Last edited:
Oregon is big. Their frontline starters are 7'0", 6'11" and 6'8". Houston did manage to get the 7 footer in foul trouble already.

Oregon is big. Their frontline starters are 7'0", 6'11" and 6'8". Houston did manage to get the 7 footer in foul trouble already.
Yep.... they gave them a battle keeping the Cougs scoring down losing 66-56. Ducks use pretty much an 8 man rotation.

Click image-
OOC-6-OREGON-2022-23-stats.jpg

What stands out statistically about Oregon's loss last night is that although they outrebounded Houston by 9, they committed 6 more TOs and also shot the ball poorly, going 3-22 on 3s, which is terrible for a home team. Oregon also got very little from their bench, and basically played 7 guys (8th man played only 8 minutes).

“When one team shoots 11 for 22 on 3-pointers and the other shoots 3 for 22, it is not hard to figure out the difference in the game,” Oregon coach Dana Altman said.

It's not the start to the season Phil Knight and the other Ducks fans wanted. Although Houston is an excellent team, obviously, and their coach Kelvin Sampson simply does not tolerate poor basketball.

Last edited:
couple of weekly notes.... one new and 2 repeat performances-

Line is UConn -3 at the moment. This is probably more a function of Oregon's poor shooting performance in the home loss against Houston and the 13 point home loss to UC Irvine than anything UConn is doing. Those 2 lousy home losses were not what Phil Knight wanted. The downside for UConn is that those losses might have been a wake up call, and unlike Oregon, UConn hasn't really played any good high majors yet.

Blades I have to warn you that the floor of the Oregon court will not be easy on the eyes so you may want to consider watching the game with sunglasses. When the women played out there last year I think the floor psyched them out.
Looking out for the eyesight of all Huskies fans! I developed a headache watching the UConn women's game last year and not sure if it was the glare of the floor or the poor shooting by the UConn women or both. I have central seruos retinopathy in my eyes so they are sensitive to certain visuals and glare.

Last edited:
Blades I have to warn you that the floor of the Oregon court will not be easy on the eyes so you may want to consider watching the game with sunglasses.
Nope you have bad info on the site tonight .....But I did see the Houston @ OR game the other night and I don't think those novelty courts should be allowed by the NCAA because of the line lay outs (the Maui tourney court sucks too) that are impossible to see, even for player/refs. ......BUT who told you that Uconn is playing at the U of OR's home court in Eugene.... the PKI games are in Portland with game one at the MODA Center home of the Trailblazers. So no need for sunglasses !

" UConn opens play in the PKI against Oregon (2-2) on Thursday at 8 p.m. (EST) at the Moda Center. "

Last edited:
I thought it was at Oregon but that's good news for my eyes and head. I had thought the women played on that Court in PKI last year so I assumed that's where the game is at.

It seems like game 2 against MSU/Alabama will be at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum which is an older, smaller venue. Not sure why they are splitting up the games like that. Maybe they figured the Oregon home game would draw a larger crowd- venue at Moda is over 19.000 plus capacity while VMC is more like 12,000 plus.

I don't think those novelty courts should be allowed by the NCAA because of the line lay outs (the Maui tourney court sucks too) that are impossible to see, even for player/refs. ......
I completely agree with your statement above but Phil Knight has tons of money, and his money was used to create that monstrosity. Generally, people who have lots of money get what they want and pay to have what they want pushed through. If wheels needed to be greased to get that floor approved, I am sure the necessary monies or favors found their way into the right hands, and the wheels got greased. I have seen it too many times, especially with fast tracked construction where a large private donation has made the construction possible.

Last edited:
It seems like game 2 against MSU/Alabama will be at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum which is an older, smaller venue. Not sure why they are splitting up the games like that.
...has to do with the 2 different NIKE tourney's ..... 16 teams MBB teams total this week-end- here's the other one- w/ Duke, Gonzaga, etc

Duke apparently beat Oregon State playing at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum today. Meanwhile North Carolina beat Portland at the Moda Center. I didn't realize there were 2 different tourneys going on but seems like Portland has 2 different basketball arenas and therefore can host 2 tournaments at once. Just glad UConn is playing in the prime time slot game in the bigger and more modern venue.

School record 17 3 pointers, 22 assists and outrebounded Oregon adds up to an easy 24 point win over Oregon. Very good high IQ basketball game by UConn tonight.

Reactions: the Blades
We have a lot of answers on this roster. 😊 never thought Clingan would be contributing this soon.
good test tonight.

Reactions: the Blades
5 quick thoughts-
1. I guess DH recruiting a 1 in-4 out roster, with now Adama making it 4 1/2 out, couldn't be more effective. :)
2. unless we see Jordan really popping from 3, like he did in the 2nd half (3-6) after the not so much (2-8) first.
3. Newton just knows how to play basketball and saved the team in the first half.
4. For all that AJ brings as an athlete, he's lacking everything Tristan has, namely composure and BB skill. So calm down son. Bring your good D ( especially vs an athletic Bama tonight ), rebounding, energy, but the TO's (5), weak offense ( 0-3 FG, 0-2 FT's) and reckless fouling/play, needs to go.
5. The ESPN producer's are fricken' horrific !... enough of the cut away interviews and crappy( iso, crowd , bench) shots of everything but live action, non stop throughout the game. If you need Walton and his BS old dinosaurs chat, with Knight or what Izzo is doing, do we really have to see them during the game you incapable buffoons....

Last edited:
UConn is getting more out of Joey C and Donovan Clingan than I, or anyone else really had a right to expect. Joey C, although he is not the greatest ballhandler or defender, is an excellent shooter and passer and seems to have an extremely high basketball IQ. Clingan also looks to me like he has good passing skills, but what impresses me most is that he has managed to stay on the floor and help his team, which was important last night when Sanogo picked up his 3rd foul early in the second half. Clingan, unlike some of the past UConn bigs like Brimah, Phil Nolan, etc., does not get pushed around, does not get bad fouls from being out of position, and does not leave his feet to block shots. When he came in the game last night in the second half I kind of expected some quick fouls and it did not happen.

Hawkins looks like a streaky shooter to me. Fans and media may have slightly overrated the ceiling of how good he can be. Like Bouknight who has proven not ready for the NBA in his first two season, Hawkins needs more development and in particular on his ballhanding and consistency of shooting (same issues as Bouknight). He is still not far removed from injury so we will see how things go, but to me he is far, far away from being an NBA top 15 pick.

One thing you noticed last night was that Sanogo, Karaban, Alleyne and AJ were all in foul trouble in the second half, but it never seemed to matter. In past years when 4 starting calibre players were all in foul trouble in a game like this, you hit the panic button. My only moment of concern was when Sanogo went out with his 3rd and Clingan came in. I was really worried he would pick up 2 quick ones and Sanogo would be right back in, but Sanogo was out from like the 19 minutes mark to almost the 9 minute mark of the second half. In that stretch, Clingan was fantastic. That was the only point I was even remotely concerned and it turned out that Clingan can be trusted, Joey C can be trusted, and Diarra can be trusted not to do too much and keep the offense running. Although AJ is still playing too fast I think tonight will be the game where his athleticism and D will be needed and he will shine. I am not even worried about his foul trouble because Alleyne can really play great D as well and Hawkins is not bad (better than Bouknight was).

Hurley comments:

"Obviously, we were thrilled with the performance," Hurley said. "The plan was to pick them up full court, really get after them. I think we knew we would foul a lot today, but I didn't really mind it because of our depth. We knew we had to drag them into a fullcourt game, not a slowdown game with the three monsters they have in the frontcourt. When you have the shooting we have around the center play that we have, you're going to have some nights like this."

ADVERTISEMENT