ADVERTISEMENT

Vital to the NBA ???

Just receiving feedback for what he needs to work on. Smart move for him and hopefully he makes the suggested improvements and helps the team next year.

Is this a joke?
No...just a kid thinking he's better than he is,...especially when he wouldn't even get noticed by the NBA since he's probably about 600th on anyone's draft board. The worse part will be when he comes back and isn't even starting if Jalen and Rique are back with UC at full strength. Then a kid who's delusional about his own talent becomes a problem because he thinks he's da' man.

Vital is a nice college player off the bench (could be a nice third guard), but he is far from NBA material at this time. His heart exceeds his talent at this point. I do like the way he plays the game, but he isn’t an NBA player. Number 600 on draft boards? Is he that high?

Vital is a nice college player off the bench (could be a nice third guard), but he is far from NBA material at this time. His heart exceeds his talent at this point. I do like the way he plays the game, but he isn’t an NBA player. Number 600 on draft boards? Is he that high?
+1 on all of this...though he became to much of a gunner and didn't like passing...even on a man advantage fast break... way to much last year....

Blades,

I saw it slightly differently. Although he hoisted a lot of bad 3s, he was the only remote 3 point threat on the team for most of the season. UConn got zoned by a lot of teams and were forced by the defenses they saw to shoot a lot of 3s, or more than they wanted to or should have. UConn was bad from outside the arc and had no consistent inside scoring threat, a bad combination that produced a losing record even though the team had credible overall athleticism. I feel like the team needed Vital to step up as a 3 point threat and he tried as best he could but in the process took bad and contested 3s. He will be better when Gilbert penetrates, draws defenders and kicks out to Vital for cleaner looks. He is no Napier but was the best 3 point shooting guard we had last year and likely will be again this year.

Is he trying to work in a cossession stand?

He shows glimpses of promise, but Hurley and co have to coach the terrible decisions out of him like JC used to do.

Reactions: the Blades
Blades,
He is no Napier but was the best 3 point shooting guard we had last year and likely will be again this year.

It probably seemed like it because CV (31.6 %) took so many quick forced shots but Jalen (33%) actually hit on a better % of 3pts and on overall FG's
by far.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
The so called “Hero Ball” culture affected the entire team last year and the affliction spread to Vital as well. I think that bad decisions aside, Vital might be more of a natural 3 point shooter than the others and his stats don’t reflect his true shooting aptitude. There is certainly room for growth in all parts of his game.

The so called “Hero Ball” culture affected the entire team last year and the affliction spread to Vital as well. I think that bad decisions aside, Vital might be more of a natural 3 point shooter than the others and his stats don’t reflect his true shooting aptitude. There is certainly room for growth in all parts of his game.
Stats don't lie, but True like passing the rock....1.6 assists a game for a guard who was gifted 30+ Mins. per, when Rique went down, sucks donkey balls...LOL ! . as you like to put it . Only guy worse in that regard was Larrier who was @ 0.9 asst. in 34 mpg. Maybe on that angle it'll be addition by subtraction if CV can open his eyes and with TL gone....You can only have so many "black holes" on the team until it totally kills the offense.

You want to see some pathetic assists stats, look at the bigs. Diarra played a full season without recording a single assist! In addition to poor 3 point shooting and weak rebounding, last year’s UConn team was one of the worst passing teams they have ever had. Even Jalen, who is the best passer on the team, saw his assist totals plunge. The lack of bigs who can score was one reason for some of these pathetic assist stats.

The bigs shouldn't get many assists because they rarely touch the ball( especially with TL and CV out there) Like I said they were the ball movement killers as much it went through their hands. Jalen on the other hand still tripled CV totals after leading the entire AAC the year before, so I'm not worried about him. I think Hurley can get this back on the right track, especially if he has 5 guards on the team, because the guys who don't want to move the rock won't play.

Did he hire an agent?

Worst decision since I Asked my mom to cut a rat tail in my hair in 1985.

Well Amore from the Courant did put this in his JA story today but sometimes I think he gets most of his info from the same place we do...social media:

"Vital announced on Friday he is eligible for the draft but has not hired an agent. He has until May 30 to return to school."
"Vital tweeted what sounded like a farewell on Saturday, but there is apparently no change in his plans from what was announced on Friday."

then one of the other beat guys tweeted this:

also from Borges:
While Vital has virtually no chance of being drafted, and most at UConn expect him to return to school, he left a rather cryptic message on social media on Friday.
“UConn, thank you for all the opportunities you have given me on and off the court!” he said in an Instagram post. “I have come to peace with the decision that I will enter the 2018 NBA draft. Thank you to anyone who has ever played a positive role in this process.” Whether that means Vital, who was second to Adams in scoring on UConn last season at 14.9 points per game but shot just over 38-percent from the floor, is leaving the program for good remains to be seen.

If it means more minutes for Polley and Wilson, this is addition by subtraction.

But that means we need a healthy Gilbert(gulp) and the grad transfer has to be solid, especially defensively.

If it means more minutes for Polley and Wilson, this is addition by subtraction.

But that means we need a healthy Gilbert(gulp) and the grad transfer has to be solid, especially defensively.
No doubt, but cant imagine he'd keep his name in. Until i hear him say he's hired an agent, he's coming back. He won't even get a sniff at this point. Come back, figure out how to be a distributor and then give it another shot next year, and most like after his sr year. I like the kid. Thing we all do in here. has alot of moxie and averaged over 5 rpg, which we cant seem to get out of our bigs. But, he's got so many weaknesses at this point & he knows it. But then again, i never thought i'd ever see Purvis in the NBA so who am i.

I agree but I would note that although Purvis at UConn was horrible with his decisions and his handle, he is bigger, stronger, shoots better and plays better D than Vital. Purvis has an NBA body, if nothing else. Vital is a 6’2” shooting guard and there is more or less no such thing in the NBA. He will likely not be drafted, will be told by teams to stay in school and will stay in school. If he is doing it just to educate himself on how he is viewed by pro teams, it’s probably a good idea as teams will be telling him everything we are saying. He may need to hear it firsthand.

Shaggy, good post. I also think he'll get vastly improved coaching.

Just kind of scary these are the decisions he's making off the court. Which makes you wonder about how much can we expect his decision making on the court to improve?

Reactions: Shaggydog84
The kid will NEVER play in the NBA and maybe not even the G-League but good for him for wanting the attention. He is a classic misguided basketball player but hell let the kid have fun. I am not sure ANY team would spend ANY time looking at him to even give him an analysis.

I really hope he get 10-15mins a game for us, I love his positive attitude and heck maybe us all laughing at him and the NBA fart in the wind idea will motivate him to become something special.

ADVERTISEMENT