ADVERTISEMENT

Vital returning to Uconn for "'Unfinished Business"

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003

" With the spring semester done, it appears UConn, with all its scholarships filled for next season, has its roster set. "

Last edited:
Hard to believe that a 6'2" guard led the team in rebounding last year, but it speaks to how weak the bigs were on the boards. Vital was roundly criticized for his decision making at times and for seeming to think he is better than he actually is, but I don't think the latter is such a bad thing. He just needs to play a little smarter, but he is a good player and I think that although he did not shoot a great % last year, he will be the best 3 point shooter on this team.

The guard depth is very good, but the bigs will have to be a lot better than what they were last year.

Reactions: the Blades
To me, you still have to play the games, but the interesting vibe I get is that these players (along w/ HOF'er JC) are buying more into what Hurley is doing than they did with the guy that recruited them. It speaks to what a bad communicator KO was, that he lost 4 of his top rated players ( all 4 stars, including MAL) last year while Hurley has lost no players off KO's former team. (so far)

It just shows you the lack of leadership and work ethic that was coming from the Uconn top seat and it seems like the only thing KO's been willing to fight for in the last 2 years is his money. Not giving guys their defined roles nor being able to keep his team together, such as former players who left early for the NBA (Daniels-Hamilton) when they weren't gonna be in the the NBA is a major character flaw for a coach. This also never happened with Calhoun. The only time JC ever lost guys is when they had no role with the team or were leaving early for guaranteed 1st round NBA contracts. I also heard in a recent Hurley interview that he only had one transfer in 5 years at URI....which speaks volumes. See Cobb's retweet from a few days ago below( he corrected the "U" in his next tweet)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
+1 Blades. I'm really perplexed with KO. I guess i just assumed he would be the type of coach that he was a player, and i guess that's not always the case. The amount of recruiting DH & staff are doing is 10 fold more than the previous regime. And, i think you hit it spot on about the players who left early under KO and weren't ready. Sad when you think your best option is leaving school early for the G League to get better coaching. Hopefully they can win with addition by subtraction...

I have the same vibe of UConn’s team so far responding enthusiastically to Hurley. I have to say though that although he apparently butted heads with KO, Eric Cobb was without question the most disappointing player on the whole team, even including Anderson and Onuorah who just were not very good. Cobb has legitimate talents and skills- he can handle and pass extremely well and showed signs of being a good rebounder. But he was basically a zero. How much of that was butting heads with KO, being misused, being lied to? I don’t know. Can only judge him by what I saw on the Court which were flashes of great handling and passing and rebounding skills but never able to play sustained minutes due to foul trouble, inattentive/lackadaisical play, and poor decisions. Will he be a 10 point and 8 board a game guy under Hurley? I hope so but I am not expecting it. Last year I predicted that the law of bodies would ordain that someone would step up among so many new big men, and with the exception of mildly improved play from Carlton at the end of the season, it really didn’t happen. We’ll see! I am hoping for the best for all of these guys, and would love to see Cobb develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: UconNell
Some of what we are hearing is the players clinging to something new just like us. They should get a boost from the NEW but the true test will be how they respond under him during times of struggle. KO failed at this TERRIBLY.

ADVERTISEMENT