ADVERTISEMENT

Visitor(s) from the transfer portal - (make that 4 COMMITS )

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Sounds like the first publicly known Uconn visit. This player knows Uconn well putting up 25 points vs. the Huskies as a FR. Tristen Newton, is a 6-5 PG ( East Carolina ) Led them with 17.1 points and 5 assists. Also 4.8 Rebs per game, shot 88% FT's this past season as a junior

Last edited:
Some highlights with a former Husky - Vance Jackson sighting (ECU's 2nd leading scorer this year):

Last edited:
UConn could literally hand him the starting PG job, and still need another PG, such is the dearth at the position. I like that he can both board and pass. You put him with AJ and you really have a nice huge backcourt for defense and rebounding.

Although his FT shooting was blistering - 88-89% his sophomore and junior years, his 3 point shooting was 26% and 33% the last 2 seasons. You really hope he improves there because it's below average.

I was gonna mention his 3pt%, but he looks like he's a capable shooter from distance especially in the clutch in those highlights. And he's was pretty much the same % (as a FR and JR) as RJ Cole and Jordan Hawkins were this year. Who were supposed to be 2 of Uconn's better shooters.

Usually guys who shoot such a high % on FTs develop as 3 point shooters but one report I read on him said that like Andre J his shooting form isn't perfect- which came from none other than ECU assistant and former UConn legendary assistant Raphael "The Chill" Chillious:
“Super, super smart, quiet kid,” Chillious said. “His game, I would consider unorthodox, because you watch his shot, it doesn’t look like the perfect form. But it goes in. He’s always had a knack for scoring.”

Chillious added that Newton is the perfect scoring guard UConn covets, though he can also play off the ball.

UConn could literally hand him the starting PG job, and still need another PG, such is the dearth at the position. I like that he can both board and pass. You put him with AJ and you really have a nice huge backcourt for defense and rebounding.
True, I've also read that DH wants to go bigger/ positionless at the guard slots for mutiple switching and not getting posted up, like Gillespie and Villanova did to Cole amongst others.

Last edited:
True, I've also read that DH wants to go bigger/ positionless at the guard slots for mutiple switching and not getting posted up, like Gilllespie and Villanova did to Cole amongst others.
I intensely disliked it when Villanova did that- it's a form of bully ball.

Usually guys who shoot such a high % on FTs develop as 3 point shooters but one report I read on him said that like Andre his shooting form isn't perfect-
Well anything (KO's yes man) that tool Chillious says is like whatever. But his form is nowhere close as busted as Jacksons... I can see that clear enough with my own eyes. LOL!

Last edited:
By the way, The Chill is back coaching in Connecticut at South Kent Prep, a job he apparently took due to his wife's health issues:
I remember at the very end of Ollie's tenure The Chill was left to talk to the sideline media which is when he became known to many UConn fans.

New writer- UConn men’s basketball for the Hartford Courant.

Well here is the replacement for Diggins, Gafney and now Floyd...hope he's ready for alot of PT

Report from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED-

SI-T-Newton.jpg

• Love
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Nice break down.....I LOVE that Tristen has the height and can break down his man with a mid range game. It's something Uconn didn't have last year as the shot clock ran out, other than RJ who could be swallowed up because of his lack of height or great quickness.

Next visitor comes by way of the ACC, this 6-4/195lb. lefty guard has played 3 years for VA Tech.
Best stat- Career 39% 3pt shooter....85% FT's last year...... he started ever game.

Nahiem Alleyne Stats

Last edited:
Looks like another guy who shot the 3 ball very well (44.7%), thus serving to fill the much needed Polley role of a 3 point shooter off the bench.

Any word on how visit went? Also how many transfers will Hurley take?
DH told media:
>>> UConn plans to add two more transfer guards (besides Newton) capable of playing right away, and probably one or two other “developmental” players to fill out the roster. <<<

Also nothing I read yet..... but Stephon Castle and his peeps are close friends, from his dad

He visited us and FSU? Get out of the ACC young man. 😊

when will we know if Castle is coming this summer?

While there has been an intense focus on what Alleyene can bring offensively, he is reportedly a tough and physical defender and was one of V Tech's better defensive players. He possibly has defensive stopper potential. In other words he might be a classic 3 and D guy off the bench.

Although it's nice to have some big guards, if Alleyene commits, UConn has its quota of them. The backcourt should have at least one high quality small, quick ball handling guard. As shown by what happened to Seton Hall last year when they lost Bryce Aiken. Not having their small, quick playmaking point guard resulted in their offense losing steam in a big way. They were a totally different team without Aiken. UConn may not find a guy that good in the portal, but all that is needed is a guy who can provide some good minutes off the bench when needed to break presses and trapping defenses.

Well here is the 2nd free agent signing after the Diggins, Gafney and Floyd waiver deals !

Last edited:
  • Love
Now that the smoke has somewhat cleared on the transfer portal departures and arrivals, we may have a case of unexpected addition by subtraction on our hands since last year. Gaffney, Diggins, and Akok were not really significant contributors or consistent rotation players last season. Diggins barely played at all, and Gaffney and Akok had extremely inconsistent and mostly nonproductive seasons (Akok probably in part due to assorted injury issues). The only guy who left that we do not know about was Floyd. We never knew what we had with him. In their places comes, so far, 2 highly productive players who were 3 year starters at solid D-1 programs in solid or better leagues.

Reactions: the Blades
when will we know if Castle is coming this summer?
Here's an update and the full read (April 23):
“I’m not 100 percent sure yet, but as of right now, I am not reclassifying. I’ve thought about it previously, but lately, I haven’t been thinking about it too much.”

ADVERTISEMENT