ADVERTISEMENT

Visitor(s) from the transfer portal - (make that 4 COMMITS )

Thanks Blades. I read some of the stuff on the Other site. i just don’t post.

I like that kids swag. said he’s going to turn us back into vintage Uconn. Now go prove it.

Reactions: the Blades
Well here is the 2nd free agent signing after the Diggins, Gafney and Floyd waiver deals !

A little more on Alleyne ( maybe behind the paywall ?)----
“I just want to win the Big East and the national championship,” he said. “Those are the only two goals for me, and to get better. I just want to win, get better and have fun.”

“I’m a guy that likes to shoot a lot of mid-range shots,” he said. “I can handle the ball. I think I’m a little better defensively......”

“My biggest strength is my defense,” Alleyne said. “I’ve always been a guy that’s better defensively than offensively when I was younger. As I got older, I got better with offense and whatnot. I’m a guy that communicates, good on the ball and good team defensive player. I feel like I have a good feel for defense.”

This past season at Virginia Tech, Alleyne averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists and shot 37.3% from 3-point line and helped lead the No. 7 seeded Hokies upset Duke 82-67 to win the ACC Tournament title in March, but he was ready for a new challenge.

“I felt, personally, it was time to go,” he said. “I needed to start a new chapter in my life. It was nothing personal. I still have mad love for the players and coaches.”

“Schools even reached out to his father, Daryl, in an attempt to recruit Nahiem.....Everybody called, man,” Daryl said. “Florida State. Illinois. Georgia. Georgia Tech. Kansas State. North Texas. Seton Hall. I missed a bunch of calls and texts. It got to be a lot.”

>>>Nahiem Alleyne couldn’t believe what was happening. He looked at his phone screen, saw the 860 area code flash on the screen and quickly picked up the phone. The 6-foot-4 junior guard from Virginia Tech listened intently to the voice on the other end, his eyes lit up and his mind began to wander with possibilities.<<<

Last edited:
Diarras brother, Blades? i read that he’s a PG.
Yep that seems to be the rumor. Probably makes sense in a secondary role, seems like an upgrade from what Gaf and Sool brought which was disappointing last year. Stats are so-so, don't like the 1 to 1 assts -TO for a PG/combo guard.

Played in CT prep @ Putnam Science Academy like his brother.

Last edited:
Also saw this : " the May 1 transfer portal deadline might cause some players to take action sooner than later. That’s because if a player doesn’t enter the portal by the May 1 deadline, they won’t be eligible for the 2022-23 season. The deadline only relates to entering the portal, so a player doesn’t have to find a new home by May 1 "

Last edited:
Yep, seems like a bench piece that will fit the rotation....
“He won a lot of games, has a lot of records here,” PSA coach Tom Espinosa said. “He’s just a winner. That’s the first word that comes to mind when I hear Hassan Diarra: winner. He’s not flashy, he’s not a phenomenal shooter or crazy explosive or an unbelievable ballhandler, he’s just kind of good at everything. He’s a gamer. He wants the ball in his hands. That’s who he is.”

Last edited:
The role I see him in as a guy who can match up to and defend smaller, quicker guards. And from what I read he has long arms, had good steal numbers and was solid on D. That's got to be his calling card on this team.

The role I see him in as a guy who can match up to and defend smaller, quicker guards. And from what I read he has long arms, had good steal numbers and was solid on D. That's got to be his calling card on this team.
Yeah, he seems to be built kinda like another BE PG from the Bronx. Carl Krauser from Pitt but not at that level of his game. Nothing great with his stats. Kinda funky looking shot and dribble but I guess he has hit some big shots for Buzz Williams.

Also true, he was the type I was talking about in the other thread.....post#6 next need for 2022-23

Last edited:
He averaged 6.1 points per game mostly off the bench in just over 16 minutes a game, which tells me he is not totally zero on offense and likely finds ways to score a little. But his stats show he is not a good 3 point shooter. He also started 9 games over his freshman and sophomore seasons, so Buzz probably thought he could be developed into a full time starter.

Bottom line is he looks like a 5th guard on this team depth wise, and when you consider his experience level while playing in the SEC against very good competition, when has UConn ever had a 5th guard like this. I always thought EJ Harrison was the best 5th guard UConn ever had, he played at West Conn I think before transferring to UConn. If someone can think of a better 5th guard let me know.

So now the team looks very legit and deep.

Bottom line is he looks like a 5th guard on this team depth wise, and when you consider his experience level while playing in the SEC against very good competition, when has UConn ever had a 5th guard like this. So now the team looks very legit and deep.
Yeah, I'd say the "waiver deals" (of 4.8 pts and 2.3 assts total last year) of Diggins, Gafney and Floyd (though Corey RS'ed & should be pretty good for PC), worked out very well for Uconn, compared to ( 33.5 pts & 7.9 assts total ) DH got in return from Diarra, Newton and Alleyne.

I guess the only other question is Diarra the player to be named later in the Javonte Brown to Tex A&M deal...:)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say the "waiver deals" (of 4.8 pts and 2.3 assts total last year) from Diggins, Gafney and Floyd (though Corey RS'ed & should be pretty good for PC), worked out very well for Uconn, compared to ( 33.5 pts & 7.9 assts total ) DH got in return from Diarra, Newton and Alleyne.

I guess the only other question is Diarra the player to be named later in the Javonte Brown to Tex A&M deal...:)
It's called addition by subtraction. Usually in the classic addition by subtraction situation, you remove players who are either unproductive or somehow hurting team chemistry. Based on the production maths you have done, they not only staged a classic addition by subtraction, but went one step further and made it an addition by subtraction PLUS addition. So it's a massive bonus and if you analyze it as a "trade", like you have, well what basketball GM anywhere in the world who knows anything about basketball would have made this trade and given UConn the talent they received after the transfer portal defections?

The only part we don't know about is the chemistry part, and how Hurley will fit all of this team together will be interesting. Will he start Alleyene or Hawkins? Will there be no set starting lineup? Will Clingan be ready to play meaningful minutes, or will Johnson be the backup 5? Will Newton, Hawkins and Alleyne provide very good 3 point production? What will UConn get out of Karaban, who looks physically ready? Will this be the year that Richie Springs gets more than mop up minutes? Will Diarra embrace a role as a defender of quicker PGs?

Last edited:
OUT:

GAFFNEY
DIGGINS
AKOK
FLOYD

IN:

NEWTON
ALLEYNE
DIARRA

The only comment we can make here is that when you subtract the losses to graduation (Cole, Whaley and Polley) and add the two true freshman coming in Clingan and Karaban, there is a net loss of 2 scholarship bodies as you have 4 transfer portal outs and 3 in, and 3 graduation outs and 2 freshman in. The answer to that is minutes distribution out and minutes distribution in shows that the net 2 body loss isn't as significant as it seems.

Here are the actual experience minutes lost and experience minutes gained from transfer portal:

OUT:

GAFFNEY 12.8
DIGGINS 1 (5.1 in 9 games)
AKOK 13.9
FLOYD. 0

IN:

NEWTON 34.8
ALLEYNE. 31.1
DIARRA 15.4

So the math on the transfer portal net minutes gained is that UConn lost players who played 27.7 minutes per game and gained players who played 81.3 minutes per game. That's a net gain of almost 54 minutes per game of experienced minutes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the next Husky....

Joey Calcaterra.....SG....6-3/180.....Novato, CA

Grad transfer and will be a new/rare West Coast Husky. Comes to Storrs from the WCC ( San Diego). Was the teams 3rd leading scorer in 2021-22 and he averaged double figures in his Soph and JR years. Started 23 games last year and is a career 36% 3pt shooter and who shot 87% on FT's last year. Will certainly give DH some major backcourt depth and alot of experience.

Last edited:

Courant read with quotes-​

“I felt like UConn was the best fit for my game coming into this last year,” he said. “It’s a historic, winning program that has established itself on the highest level. Coach [Dan] Hurley and his staff really sold me on it. I felt like it was a place where I could help an already great team and come in and help them even more.”

UConn lands another guard as Joey Calcaterra transfers in from San Diego

Last edited:
That explains his stat trajectory, which took a step back last year with lower shooting percentages than one would expect based on his first 3 seasons. He certain looks like a good role player off the bench who knows how to score and hit 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT