ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO: Diaco on Final Sequence

SB NATION- UConn just painted the Mona Lisa of terrible late-game clock management
This is how you lose a college football game in 17 seconds.

" Navy had one more moment in the sun: Will Worth scored on a 3-yard run with just over three minutes to play, restoring Navy to a lead it had previously relinquished in full. Connecticut drove down the field after that, though, and it looked like this Navy disaster was back on. But then Diaco and Connecticut salvaged the day for them. Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo couldn't believe his luck. And why not? "

Last edited:
Also I can't believe this quote: "The play to Hergy, we didn't know if it was complete, where, on the 1, on the half, incomplete," Diaco said. "The [play] clock is running down, the ball gets spotted. We're having that, 'What is it on the 1, on the half, was it incomplete, was it complete?' moment as the clock is running down. ...."They break the huddle and we were not going to get the play off. So I burned the timeout."

Question regarding this ^^^ ::: how many times is it going to take Diaco to understand that his huddling up the team when you need to show some urgency
is a game killer ??? His team is so used to huddling up that they take their time to get ready to run a play even when the clock is running out....He's wasted more
timeouts, got delay's of game, false starts....that KILL WINNING.... in the last 3 years because he doesn't get it.....but he will not adapt.....
IT'S called a NO HUDDLE OFFENSE !!!!

Last edited:
Well Bob sounds very confused...so maybe it's a trait...here's another Diaco confusion masterpiece ( at about the 2:08 minute mark)...... he's using a no huddle then he gets into a position to score, so what happens next ???....Diaco's back to his convoluted late breaking huddle, with under a minute to go. He's late getting the play in even though he has 40 sec to do so and when he finally does, they break the huddle with less than 10 secs left and the QB is rushed to just barely get the play off .... the rest was history.... Earth to coach Diaco...... get out of your god forsaken huddle when time matters...and with those millions the AD is paying you and your staff.....get someone on the sideline who has a clue regarding clock management....

Damn, this going to take along time to get over especially when he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again at the end of halves....

Last edited:
Honeymoon might be over for this coaching staff...............this team is not looking well coached the first two games and are probably better than what the scores have showed.....

Also I can't believe this quote: "The play to Hergy, we didn't know if it was complete, where, on the 1, on the half, incomplete," Diaco said. "The [play] clock is running down, the ball gets spotted. We're having that, 'What is it on the 1, on the half, was it incomplete, was it complete?' moment as the clock is running down. ...."They break the huddle and we were not going to get the play off. So I burned the timeout."

Question regarding this ^^^ ::: how many times is it going to take Diaco to understand that his huddling up the team when you need to show some urgency
is a game killer ??? His team is so used to huddling up that they take their time to get ready to run a play even when the clock is running out....He's wasted more
timeouts, got delay's of game, false starts....that KILL WINNING.... in the last 3 years because he doesn't get it.....but he will not adapt.....
IT'S called a NO HUDDLE OFFENSE !!!!
Blades, despite all the confusion, they, meaning the players, were still in pisition to run a play on 2nd down...and we're going to until the coaches called timeout. I believe they wee set to go at the 4-5 second mark...not optimal & yes it's frustrating. But I don't believe they would have gotten a delay of game as HCBD says. Even worse is the fact that their tI rout actually gave Navy the ability to review the previous catch....SMH...and I like HCBD..but I've never seen this much consistently horrendous time mgmt b4. It's awful. Not even mentioning their play calling when they had the ball with 5 minutes left on their own 5. He just refuses to accept the fact that he cannot will the O line to move people. And their refusal to pass makes it easier fortran to stunt i.e. Maine

Reactions: the Blades
I agree Shaggy with everything you wrote. I thought they could have gotten the play off too and was screaming at the TV for them to just run the play, they'd still have a TO
even if it was a handoff... But then suddenly we have the confused Diaco factor...He's his teams own worst enemy on game day. I give him credit for him changing the culture, but like you said beyond the 17 secs... he refuses to play north and south FB until his team is losing. He's got this pack-up 7 on the line mentality and knock people over that still doesn't work because as an opposing DC, he might as well just hand them his playbook. It's like all this crap about getting his team to a level 3, is nothing but yada..yada...while he's still playing like a scared little boy at level 1..... and he's holding them back..

here's another outside recap from College Football news, that proves that everyone in the country sees it except Diaco himself:

7. Connecticut (1-1)
Quick Take: This will be known as the time out game – with head coach Bob Diaco blowing the last time out unnecessarily and the O got stuffed from the one-yard line as time ran out – but on the plus side it was a terrific comeback with Bryant Shirreffs coming up with a whale of a game, completing 23-of-26 passes for 239 yards and a score. After a rough start, and up until the very, very end, UConn did just about everything else right.

Week 2 American Athletic Conference Rankings & Recaps

Last edited:
I agree Shaggy with everything you wrote. I thought they could have gotten the play off too and was screaming at the TV for them to just run the play, they'd still have a TO
even if it was a handoff... But then suddenly we have the confused Diaco factor...He's his teams own worst enemy on game day. I give him credit for him changing the culture, but like you said beyond the 17 secs... he refuses to play north and south FB until his team is losing. He's got this pack-up 7 on the line mentality and knock people over that still doesn't work because as an opposing DC, he might as well just hand them his playbook. It's like all this crap about getting his team to a level 3, is nothing but yada..yada...while he's still playing like a scared little boy at level 1..... and he's holding them back..

here's another outside recap from College Football news, that proves that everyone in the country sees it except Diaco himself:

7. Connecticut (1-1)
Quick Take: This will be known as the time out game – with head coach Bob Diaco blowing the last time out unnecessarily and the O got stuffed from the one-yard line as time ran out – but on the plus side it was a terrific comeback with Bryant Shirreffs coming up with a whale of a game, completing 23-of-26 passes for 239 yards and a score. After a rough start, and up until the very, very end, UConn did just about everything else right.

Week 2 American Athletic Conference Rankings & Recaps
It's so disappointing...can't imagine what the players are feeling. Blades, I was at the Maine game...and I literally took my time talking to a friend I saw there near the concessions. I was able to miss almost the entire 3rd quarter. THAT was the best part of that night. I don't get season tix just but I go to 3-4 games each season. At this point It's really not about going 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4, it's about the entertainment value. Hate to say that cuz I, like u I'm sure, sat thru some painful offensive showings in the early days of husky hoops (GTown comes to mind). But I had faith in HCJC. He actually had me at the CT Classic when they wiped out of beloved huskies with his own version. But football is a different animal. It drives revenue. It's 3 hours and people wanna see modern day football. I guess I could take all the running if we were good at it. But it drives me nuts that our start 7 yards back & by the time he gets the ball there is someone on D in the backfield.

Back at you Shaggy, with the Calhoun comparison or any great coach. They have an edge that Diaco doesn't seem to have. I'm all for the team unity and love stuff to build that, but you have to show some faith in allowing your players to make plays. Navy's secondary sucked and Sherriffs was pickin' em' apart at will but because HCBD got a small lead he went right back to his turtle mode as you mentioned above from their own 5....( even though on a series before he took a shot deep from his own zone and it changed the field position around to get him a lead)

Which reminds me of the way Calhoun didn't play and something he said early at Uconn. A team wanted to run with him and it was like " They want to run with us, Nah, they don't want to run with us, they don't know what they're getting into if they run with us" ... That's the edge that you need as a winner, to never let up on the throttle. And it's what will bring fans back because as you said, this is entertainment for us all and when it's boring and no longer based on aggression, many will find better things to do...

I know we are paying for his OJT as a first time head coach, but I hope he means it and trusts his eyes with this comment yesterday:
"It's just, we have to learn from this," Diaco said. "We have to use all the collective information, the things that are good and the things that are bad to grow and be
better and move on. We showed resiliency and belief and toughness. We showed some juice in our four- and five-open. We have receivers that can play and
catch and run."
.... and spreading it out a little could open up some holes for his running game.

So enough of this love and respect stuff after a loss or creating some nonsense trophy because you won a FB game. Act like you been their before, this is year 3.
Dare to win early in the game so you don't have to worry about what can go wrong at the end of it.
And maybe he should listen to what Calhoun sounded like after a loss or remember what this guy said:
quote-Vince-Lombardi-show-me-a-good-loser-and-ill-730.png

Last edited:
better and move on. We showed resiliency and belief and toughness. We showed some juice in our four- and five-open. We have receivers that can play and
catch and run."
.... and spreading it out a little could open up some holes for his running game.

So enough of this love and respect stuff after a loss or creating some nonsense trophy because you won a FB game. Act like you been their before, this is year 3.
Dare to win early in the game so you don't have to worry about what can go wrong at the end of it.
And maybe he should listen to what Calhoun sounded like after a loss or remember what this guy said:
quote-Vince-Lombardi-show-me-a-good-loser-and-ill-730.png
[/QUOTE]

good observation on the offense part, hopefully Diaco takes that info and runs with it and we see a new and improved offense going forward...

good observation on the offense part, hopefully Diaco takes that info and runs with it and we see a new and improved offense going forward...

+1 ..and look who's 3rd in the country at passing completion % ---- http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/756...
But 86th in rushing---http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23/p2

Also good job on this story too and from Sherriffs himself: " We were moving the ball the whole game. I feel we did better in tempo situations." An interesting note, for the second consecutive week Shirreffs mentioned the up-tempo and two-minute offense helping the Huskies. "

Last edited:
Blades, despite all the confusion, they, meaning the players, were still in position to run a play on 2nd down...and we're going to until the coaches called timeout. I believe they wee set to go at the 4-5 second mark...not optimal & yes it's frustrating. But I don't believe they would have gotten a delay of game as HCBD says. Even worse is the fact that their time out actually gave Navy the ability to review the previous catch....SMH...and I like HCBD..but I've never seen this much consistently horrendous time mgmt b4. It's awful.

It hurts to look at it again, but you were 100 % right about what you wrote above and that's the way I remember it too about him blowing a TO that he didn't have to......I want move on but now that the replay is up on the net.... Diaco is strait up lying with this quote:
"The play to Hergy, we didn't know if it was complete, where, on the 1, on the half, incomplete," Diaco said. "The [play] clock is running down, the ball gets spotted. We're having that, 'What is it on the 1, on the half, was it incomplete, was it complete?' moment as the clock is running down. ...."They break the huddle and we were not going to get the play off. So I burned the timeout."

There was no confusion whatsoever, the ref spotted the ball as clear as day at the 1/2 yd line
and like you said even though the sideline took their slow ass time, as usual, to get the play in when it's a time sensitive sequence... Sheriffs and the entire team broke the huddle (again why a huddle if it keeps causing these issues) & was set to get the play off in a power set with only 1 WR....
The center had his hand on the ball with 7 seconds on the play clock and they were gonna snap it at 4-5...the other thing is look at Sherriffs ....he doesn't look happy that the sideline stopped the play because he was ready to go..........meaning the only one in the whole stadium that was confused was Diaco.......I'd have more respect for the guy if he took ownership that he freaked out and didn't trust his players or the call, instead of making up lame excuses...

But If you can bare to watch the sequence again it starts at around the 2:06 mark,

Last edited:
Diaco takes responsibility for the screw up..... sort of:
UConn Coach Diaco On End Of Navy Game: Everything Thought Out

" Diaco took accountability for the late-game clock management and playcalling, speaking in great detail about the final 17 seconds. Diaco burned the team's final timeout after Hergy Mayala caught a Bryant Shirreffs pass inside the 1- yard line. Diaco acknowledged Tuesday Shirreffs probably would have gotten a play off in time.
That was designed to be a pass play, but it was changed to a run during the timeout.
UConn needed that final timeout, of course, after Ron Johnson was stuffed going up the middle. Time ran out. Diaco said the offensive group — players, coaches — believed in the running play, "to muscle the ball in and end the game. My only regret is we didn't have a chance to do it two times in a row."Diaco said, "Everything we did was well-thought out. We don't do anything haphazard."

So if that was supposed to be a pass play before he blew his only TO and it was incomplete, they would have been able to get a run and still had a timeout to use if the run failed meaning he could have run 3 plays....

So how does minimizing your teams chances from 3 attempts to 1 = well thought out ???

Last edited:
Are you done with Diaco at this point, or do you want to give him a few more games? How long is the leash at this point?

Are you done with Diaco at this point, or do you want to give him a few more games? How long is the leash at this point?
Unlike like the threads over on the Boneyard, I'm not in the fire Diaco crowd. He's been a great coach so far in terms of development and turning PP's mess around.
And off the field you have to give him 2 thumbs up, for his great gesture towards putting his money where his mouth in support of the other Uconn athletic programs, with his generous donation to the AD , so I don't take that lightly.....but his game day and clock management up until this point have been no better than a D+ overall.

As I said above he's a first time coach, we're paying for his OJT and he's got to clean up the constant problems with his late breaking huddles and play clock issues. It finally lost a game directly but he's had these issues for 3 years now, he talked about it over the summer:
CR: On last year, sense of quarterback Bryant Shirreffs? How's he evolving?
Diaco: Yeah, he needs to make better decisions, some of those small, finite decisions. What will help him do that is a better offensive staff plan for the offense and him. He needs to be able to break the huddle, turn around and have more than seven seconds to operate.

But here it is 2nd game of the season, it lost him a game and he's still not adjusting......so I'd like to see overall game day improvement and maybe some of these outside voices that he's gotta be hearing will sink in. I do remember seeing the same type of issues and growing pains with Edsall at times at Memorial even before the Rent opened. But that's the double edge sword in college football. If he turns it around and Uconn finishes say 8-4, now your leading up to a bowl game in Dec. hearing how great a coach Diaco is and who's gonna poach him away, especially with P-5 money that Uconn doesn't have right now.

Last edited:
I just read Jacobs article this morning regarding Diaco's presser yesterday and a bunch of the things above, his take is:
Diaco Takes Blame For Navy Debacle, But Some Things Still Don't Add Up

and he adds this which is the big picture that everyone seems to see regarding Diaco's game day:
Diaco said it's interesting how everything you could imagine tactically that could happen at the end of games in a 10-year span has happened to UConn in a couple years.

Jacobs adds:
" When the overall game plan funnels into a 14-14 game with 10 minutes left every week, it's actually not shocking. UConn games appeared to be coached to great stress at the end. You do that and you better be mentally ultra-nimble and ice cold emotionally. Sometimes it seems early in games that Diaco thinks a defensive mistake that leads to a touchdown is worth seven points yet an offensive mistake that leads to a touchdown is worth 14. Everything seems so controlled, so careful on offense until fireworks are needed. The two-minute offense has been UConn's most productive offense. Shirreffs, Thomas, Newsome, Johnson, Davis, the tight ends, there are dynamic skill players on offense. Let them be dynamic."

It hurts to look at it again, but you were 100 % right about what you wrote above and that's the way I remember it too about him blowing a TO that he didn't have to......I want move on but now that the replay is up on the net.... Diaco is strait up lying with this quote:
"The play to Hergy, we didn't know if it was complete, where, on the 1, on the half, incomplete," Diaco said. "The [play] clock is running down, the ball gets spotted. We're having that, 'What is it on the 1, on the half, was it incomplete, was it complete?' moment as the clock is running down. ...."They break the huddle and we were not going to get the play off. So I burned the timeout."

There was no confusion whatsoever, the ref spotted the ball as clear as day at the 1/2 yd line
and like you said even though the sideline took their slow ass time, as usual, to get the play in when it's a time sensitive sequence... Sheriffs and the entire team broke the huddle (again why a huddle if it keeps causing these issues) & was set to get the play off in a power set with only 1 WR....
The center had his hand on the ball with 7 seconds on the play clock and they were gonna snap it at 4-5...the other thing is look at Sherriffs ....he doesn't look happy that the sideline stopped the play because he was ready to go..........meaning the only one in the whole stadium that was confused was Diaco.......I'd have more respect for the guy if he took ownership that he freaked out and didn't trust his players or the call, instead of making up lame excuses...

But If you can bare to watch the sequence again it starts at around the 2:06 mark,

Bladed Edge
Here are my thought FWIW

1) I cannot & win not watch the replay (but thx for the option). It takes me to a dark place that i prefer not to go to.

2) You made some great points on why you like HCBD in your reply to Shock the World. I agree with them all.

3) I am a bit confused cuz i want to believe he's a stand up guy but i think the end of the game the way he described it is a bit off. Also, even more concerning for me, is letting the media know the offense basically made the call. Now, i get it & love the fact that the O line wanted to get it done. But i'm surprised that HCBD actually mentioned it to the media. I coach travel baseball, and there are times when i go out to the mound with the intent of taking a pitcher out. On a # of occasions the pitcher looked at me & said he wanted to finish the game. Sometimes I keep him in & sometimes i don't. That's my decision. But never have i even thought about bringing that up if we ended up losing the game cuz I left the pitcher in the game. It was my call & it's a non issue...no reason to even bring it up. Just wondering why he would do that...sorry for the ramble.

4) whever happened to having coaches up in the booth? So, you are telling me nobody knew where the ball was being placed, that it was a catch, that HM went out of bounds? Is that even possible?

5) I was pissed i had to watch the last 5 minutes at my neighbors house outside (really nice set up & the drinks were flowin so not all bad) with no one a real UC football fan. Basketball yes, but no one really cared about football. I called the last play over and over b4 they actually ran the ball. My friends said no way, but i called them running the ball. Wished this one time i would have been wrong. Barely ate a great meal after the game.

5) Please, please, please...spread the offense out & even if we lose make it interesting. Like you say, it's OTJ training. Hopefully he is learning & this will make us stronger b4 the season gets away from us.

Reactions: the Blades
Not sure what I did but my last reply to Blade doesn't auto show. If interested u have to click on the box where Blades comments start & my comments are at the bottom...sorry

Team looks best when they r playing fast 2 minute drill may be they need to play more up temple thst when they srem to b able to move the ball there's no running game o_line pass block better so coach do what u do best not what u won't just from what my eyes c

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT