ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Transfer Samir Doughty considering UConn

tcf_15

Mar 31, 2015
6-4 guard from Philly. Averaged 9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists. Shot around 29% from long range.

Does KO recruit power forwards or centers with talent anymore or is he planning on playin' in a 6-5 and under league ?

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Does KO recruit power forwards or centers with talent anymore or is he planning on playin' in a 6-5 and under league ?

2018:
Simmons Shitu
Moses Brown
Naz Reid

All are 5 star bigs

As for 2017:
Kam Rooks
And the PF from UMass (part of the combo package)

Just to name a few

If UConn is going to go into the season with a ten man roster, they might as well get a red shirt. That would still leave at least three open scholarships for next year's incoming class. Given the way things are going, it would probably be difficult for UConn to bring in more than three quality players anyway, so why not take this guy if they can? I would love to see a talented big or two who could help immediately, but I haven't even heard of UConn being realistically associated with any, so at some point they need to fill out the roster.

Last edited:
Red shirting for this team isn't a very wise move, unless he likes surprises, we have no idea who the coach will be in 2018

Kam Rooks is exactly the kind of big bodied lane clogger UConn lacks and needs, but Gonzaga is going hard after him and he seems like a west coast kind of guy so don't know how realistic it would be to mention him as a possibility. I find it very hard to believe that UConn can't find a similar body to fill this all important role on this roster. UConn already has 4 guards although the VCU guard might be better suited to defending bigger 2 guards UConn might face.

I would love to see a talented big or two who could help immediately, but I haven't even heard of UConn being realistically associated with any, so at some point they need to fill out the roster.
Bingo you win the bonus prize, that's my point ! I'm not really talking about this guard specifically. (he's a sit a year transfer ) The way KO 's been leaking transfers away every year the guy has no clue about planning for the future. A common thread has been worrying about leaving ships open for "next year".... but when has he ever given out the full 13 ships that's allowed ?.... 2013 ? And even when he doesn't lose 2/3 starters up front and 2 more possible starters like he did this year....he's still lost guys like Samuel, Lubin, Cassell and Tolksdorf in past years, so there are always open spots. Brimah 7-0, Facey 6-10, Enoch 6-11, Jackson 6-8 and Durham 6-11 are gone yet the guy is still looking at guards. Unaware and unprepared is not a good look when your supposed to be coaching a blue blood and you just took the program to the worse season in 30 years.

Kam Rooks is exactly the kind of big bodied lane clogger UConn lacks and needs, but Gonzaga is going hard after him and he seems like a west coast kind of guy so don't know how realistic it would be to mention him as a possibility. I find it very hard to believe that UConn can't find a similar body to fill this all important role on this roster. UConn already has 4 guards although the VCU guard might be better suited to defending bigger 2 guards UConn might face.
Dude he committed to sdsu.

2018:
Simmons Shitu
Moses Brown
Naz Reid

All are 5 star bigs

As for 2017:
Kam Rooks
And the PF from UMass (part of the combo package)

Just to name a few
Thx Afg
Reid & Shitu are tough gets...maybe better shot at Shitu. Just not a large amount of 4/5's I think is the consensus thought is all. All it takes is one though & could be off to the races...

Thx Afg
Reid & Shitu are tough gets...maybe better shot at Shitu. Just not a large amount of 4/5's I think is the consensus thought is all. All it takes is one though & could be off to the races...
Very true....My first post in this thread was sarcasm more than anything but....this team needs some talented beef up front if they want to play with the big boys or they'll get destroyed on the boards like they did vs. a team like Kansas in the NCAA's 2 years ago....... . Or Maybe KO is trying to cement Uconn as the team that Nate Blue predicted 7 years ago when his AAU star Maurice Harkless decommited...either that or he's a prophet, LOL! ..

Blue said ( in 2010) that Connecticut’s switch from being a team led by big men who can block shots and rebound to a perimeter-oriented group was a key factor.
“I don’t think they have really improved enough to scare anyone,” he said. “I think they’re going ‘small’ and I’m not into small ball. They switched their style of play by switching their roster to a guard roster. We signed up for old UConn, not new. They turned into Villanova. He’s too talented to be Shane Clark.”..
....they have won 2 NC's since Blue's revelation though....

Reactions: UconNell
The 2011 national champion had great big men......Oriakhi and Okwandu and Roscoe who was awesome on the boards.....no way that championship is won without their D, shotblocking and rebounding. They basically shut Butler out of the lane in the championship game. The 2014 team was weak in the middle...but at least had size and some shotblocking. We are looking at true smallball with next year's team. I don't believe in it to be honest.

Reactions: the Blades
Just a reminder that we have more big men than guards currently on the team, and Jalen will be gone next year as well as the 5th year transfer.

As of now we only have CV and Alterique as guards for 2018... all of the big men will still be here as of 2018, so there is a reason why we are going after more guards than bigs right now.

Also this is a quote from one of the beat writers after everyone left in April:

2 months later KO and his new staff of "super recruiters" have exactly one player who played 6 mins a game 2 years ago for SC and no one over 6' 9"........
but I guess that's a roster upgrade for these guys...;) !

Not having a single big man who has played a minute of college basketball is a joke and nothing has been done to change that. What this means fellas is first half of next season all the bigs will be in constant foul trouble just due to inexperience, it will take a while for them to figure out how to run and defend pick and rolls and how to set screens without getting called for offensive fouls, and most importantly learn how to rebound and crash the boards at this level. Some of you guys have never particularly cared about any of these things, but next year you will learn to care, the hard way. By painful viewing of the inside game.

Reactions: the Blades
Blue said ( in 2010) that Connecticut’s switch from being a team led by big men who can block shots and rebound to a perimeter-oriented group was a key factor.
“I don’t think they have really improved enough to scare anyone,” he said. “I think they’re going ‘small’ and I’m not into small ball. They switched their style of play by switching their roster to a guard roster. We signed up for old UConn, not new. They turned into Villanova. He’s too talented to be Shane Clark.”..
....they have won 2 NC's since Blue's revelation though....[/QUOTE]

And Nova has one. :) I really like Cobb and Carlton. Although, I assumed it was coming off the bench for Steve and Durham. Maybe Vital can turn into Fat Lever?

....they have won 2 NC's since Blue's revelation though....

And Nova has one. :) I really like Cobb and Carlton. Although, I assumed it was coming off the bench for Steve and Durham. Maybe Vital can turn into Fat Lever?
Or Allen Ray/ Randy Foye , LOL !

ADVERTISEMENT