ADVERTISEMENT

USF

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This is not a good team. They don't have any good wins, and everyone good they have played has beaten them soundly. Of note they lost by 34 at SMU, and double digit losses at home to FSU and Seton Hall.

Of note, USF is a terrible 3 point shooting team, shooting less than 27% from behind the arc. This is the worst 3 point shooting team UConn has faced this year. They have actually launched 208 3 pointers in 15 games, an average of less than 14 a game, but UConn should encourage them to hoist as many as they want. They are shooting .462% overall, a solid percentage which suggests that they score more easily inside than out.

UConn should beat this team by at least 10.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/58/south-florida-bulls

When I see Purvis drive, I definitely see McDonald's All-American. He's just really raw. He needs a couple years.

Where is everyone tonight for this USF game?

Calhoun hits a nice 3.

Maybe he should play the 3 and Hamilton the 2 with Boat. Purvis would be the energy guy off the bench.

Brimah has 5 blocks and just dunked a lob from Hamilton. He has good hands and good passing instincts for a shot blocker. One more year and this guy is a top-10 pick.

Calhoun's stroke looks more compact this year and as a result, quicker. It's much less funky. He's turned the corner.

Purvis just needs for his confidence to keep developing and then he won't play with any hesitation.

You guys talk about Purvis being raw, the man is sushi. He does have explosive drives to the hole but tonight not a single one of them was finished. It was either an offensive foul, shot was blocked or altered or he just missed.

However I think Brimah had his best game of the year, even including the 40 point outburst against Coppin State. 13 points, 8 boards, 6 blocks. And Lubin grabbed 3 boards and had 4 points in barely any time. Please show him some more minutes.

Calhoun's stroke and release look a lot better. He had quickened the release. I just wish UConn could get something out of Cassell. He is like the last scholarship dude in the rotation if you don't count the walk ons. I really thought he would be better but his lack of athleticism handicaps him.

Purvis did have one fall but missed the And1 FT.

Most of his drives he has no business being there. Few players can get to the rim like he does. He needs to soften his touch but his ability to get to the rim - the explosion - is elite. He has Westbrook potential.

I'm very hopeful for his future. I will admit he needs 2 more years after this one though.

Samuel had 7 boards and 4 assists, both of which tied his season highs, in only 18 minutes of action.

Originally posted by KhalidShockedTheWorld:
You guys talk about Purvis being raw, the man is sushi. He does have explosive drives to the hole but tonight not a single one of them was finished. It was either an offensive foul, shot was blocked or altered or he just missed.
+1, .. Purvis is a joke dribbling the ball...full speed, out of control so he can't make any adjustment
when the D steps at him and he has a terrible handle..second worst to only Omar.( that dribble to left and
unforced error that he lost out of bounds was classic) ....he's gonna hurt this team in a meaningful game
because he doesn't get it/ or know his limitations and he's so fundamentally flawed.

And his #'s spelled out exactly what you said KSTW....2-8 FG....O assist 3 TO's...it's not a sprint... basketball
is change of pace, it side to side , it's a pull up game if your a guard....but I think KO was giving him some more
leeway to try and figure things out with the 20 pt lead.... but really if he has the ball at the end of a shot clock
can we expect anything but a TO or airball with such skill limitations ?

I must add on the flipside his D was excellent often giving Boat a break guarding their point guard.
This post was edited on 1/6 10:56 PM by the Blades

Purvis does not have any deception in his game. His drives are explosive but they are telegraphed, there is no natural change of direction or change of speed moves, it is just straight ahead in 5th gear. So as you said Blades, when a defender reacts and steps into his path so he has to change his direction or dribble, it's a turnover or offensive foul. He can't make adjustments with the ball when driving so all you really need to do is step in and make him change direction or dribble with his other hand. He will not make the adjustment, and the result is a loose ball turnover or an offensive foul for "looking" out of control. 9 times out of 10 if you look out of control and it is 50/50 as to whether the defender set his feet, you get called for charging. That is just the way it is in basketball. Refs never reward an out of control player, and on the vast majority of his explosive drives, Purvis is an out of control freight train (think of that movie with Denzel Washington and you get the picture).

Kemba, Bazz and Boat all struggled early on with out of control drives but eventually matured and learned how to correct. Dyson was the exception as he never got it. Let's hope Purvis does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT