ADVERTISEMENT

UMass Lowell River Hawks

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
This team is 4-4, with wins over Wagner and Army, and a tough 8 point loss to UMass which beat UNH worse than UConn did. It’s interesting that we play UMass-Lowell in basketball and hockey, a sport they are known for, but not UMass in hoops. Looks like they have a decent team and could be a trap game with Arizona looming next weekend.

TUES Nov. 27, 7pm- Gampel Pavilion (SNY) vs.. UMASS-Lowell (4-4, American East)
UMASS-Lowell.jpg

I don’t like the strategy being discussed on the pregame show of going “guard heavy.” Whatever happened to the ages old strategy of going big and crushing teams on the boards? North Carolina has done this for years and they are still doing it as far as I know.

I guess the theory is that the ball pressure of these UConn ballhawks will cause havoc, and create a lot of offense off TOs. It’s nice in theory if it works, but not sure it will work against every team.

Reactions: the Blades
Tarik Turner is talking about playing Polley at the 5 and Wilson at the 4. Is this a serious comment? I remember when the UConn had the 500 pounds of “Beef Brothers” in Drummond and Oriakhi. With Polley and Wilson, where is the beef?

CV is using shot fakes and really playing well out there. It’s been said that he is not as good as he thinks he is, but the truth is that he is willing himself into being better than he is because he thinks he is better than he is. It doesn’t always work that way, but in his case it seems to be happening.

Great watch the first 13 minutes.

Disappointed with defense the last 6/7. Sometimes shots don't fall, but Defense can't slump. And Smith hasn't looked like the guy from the first 6 games.

End this the first 7 minutes of the second half.

Hurley deserves credit for stopping the pace. Its ok, he is learning his team but he made changes right in the middle of the best BBALL we've seen in years.

Defense has STOPPED. Dan has to get his guys playing D HARD. They arent doing it but I still think a lot of this is combo of players.

I really like Brendan Adams- he is going to be really good.

Right now UConn needs to tighten up the perimeter D

I realize Sid hasn’t played much but he has to throw that down. He collected the board too close to the hoop but still gotta be able to do a step back throw down.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
UMass-Lowell made 10 3s and shot close to 70% FGs in the second half. UConn has to play better man to man defense than this. However the offense tonight looked very good at times. The half court offense looked great at times in the first half.

Hurley in postgame presser:

"We were just running around out there and not really obeying the rules of defense."

Well how about playing a little bigger so there's actually a few guys to contest at the rim, this small ball stuff gives up way to many points in the paint like you mentioned KSTW (on top of getting beat long range tonight). It's to one dimensional defensively.

Last edited:
This kid was dominating on O, blocking shots and then it's like DH forgets about him and Cobb and parks them on the bench:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT