ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women's Basketball Postgame (Virginia) - 11/19/19

Blades,

I don’t know if you saw the game but those 2 played extremely well last night. Irwin also took 2 charges where she stepped in on big players going to the hole like out of control freight trains. But what both Irwin and Marukat did best was to keep the ball moving on offense. Virginia was destroyed by the back door plays in the first half. The ball movement in the half court offense the last 2 games is the best I have seen in a long time from these girls. This team has a lot of potential to be very good and they have been fun to watch. The 12 boards and 10 assists were just as important as the 23 points they got from those 2

I forgot they were on last night and stumbled upon the last 13 minutes. I hope Kyla turns into their Gavin Edwards. A really efficient Big off the bench. She has a solid stroke.

I love the way Ania plays. She Has some Diana in her game. The handle, the vision. She just needs to develop all the other stuff and consistently knock down shots.

It will be interesting to see if she stays all four years. I hope so.

CaNolee,

UConn solidly outscored Virginia in all 4 quarters including 19-10 in the 4th (finishing yet another game strongly), but they played their best ball in the 1st half. Contrast that to last year when the deep bench would come in and allow leads to either dissipate or would play even at best. This team is not treading water late in games. And the last 2 games UConn has finished the games very strongly. Against good teams.

Next game is at Ohio State Sunday afternoon on ESPN.

Blades,

I don’t know if you saw the game but those 2 played extremely well last night. Irwin also took 2 charges where she stepped in on big players going to the hole like out of control freight trains. But what both Irwin and Marukat did best was to keep the ball moving on offense. Virginia was destroyed by the back door plays in the first half. The ball movement in the half court offense the last 2 games is the best I have seen in a long time from these girls. This team has a lot of potential to be very good and they have been fun to watch. The 12 boards and 10 assists were just as important as the 23 points they got from those 2
It looked like Geno just rushed Irwin in while ONO got taped up for some blood, but then she made a few plays and actually was effective so he stayed with her.... + I think ONO also had a couple fouls early, so he must have figured how long can I ride this...I guess you never know how things work out until it happens.....seeing that she didn't even play at Vandy.

In the prior game against Temple, Irwin was inserted late and there was a large contingent of family members from PA in attendance including her mother who played for Branford High in CT and won a State Championship. Irwin scored 7 points and was remarkably effective against Temple. This continued against Virginia and in those 2 games they got 20 points off the bench from her. Apart from that, she just looked very good. In the past she had stretches where she looked like a servicable backup, and other stretches where she did not, but her last two games way exceeded anything she has done for UConn in the last 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT