ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women v. Maryland

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Just saw that UConn's opponent Tuesday, #8 UCLA, took down #3 Baylor by 14 today, so UConn is about to play two very challenging teams.

Maryland only lost 3 games last year, to UConn (by 6), Ohio State (by 11) and to Oregon (by 14) in the Regional Semifinals. They are a very good team, capable of beating anyone and could pose a strong test to a shorthanded UConn team.

The game Tuesday at UCLA will be as difficult. Jordin Canada might be the best opposing point guard UConn will see all year; she had 20 points and 13 assists in the upset win over Baylor today.

Gabby keeping them in the game with 8 turnovers. Stephens loves the 3 too much.

Walker contributing some nice minutes.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
Although I like Stevens’ fluidity and talent she is showing signs of being in love with her outside jumper. I hope this doesn’t bloom into a huge woman-crush because her stroke is okay but not worthy of love. She isn’t Katie Lou stroking the 3

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Canolee don’t be upset by the turnovers. They are a product of playing fast. UConn wants to play fast, the reason they are up 25 and have won 113 out of last 114 is they play too fast for other teams. Maryland has done a decent job with transition defense and that is causing some of the TOS. You don’t stop pushing it because the other team is getting back, only a pussy coach would do that.

She is my favorite player since Taurasi to watch K99. I love how hard she plays every second of every game and does a lot of everything. But 8 at the half is ridiculous.

Btw, is she the #1 pick? Or Wilson? I guess it depends on the team, but I'd take Our girl. She's grant Hill/Scottie Pippen.

Gabby will not be the #1 pick because she hasn’t adequately addressed the main weakness in her game, which is that she can’t shoot. Wilson is the easy #1 pick.

Another thing Stevens needs to work on is powering the ball up through contact. You can’t give up on a shot once you’ve been fouled and hear the whistle. Power it up and through the contact!!!!!

Nice job by Geno trying to develop the bench. Walker and Espinoza Hunter both showing flashes of learning to swim, even if it’s a doggy paddle. Geno had to rest the starters with UCLA looming Tuesday. UCLA at Pauley will be one of the 3 toughest tests of the season along with Texas and at South Carolina.

Don’t think I ever saw a triple double with points, rebounds and turnovers but I think Andre Drummond came close and he may have had a 10 TO game. I know that Steve Enoch had an 11 turnover game playing with the Albanian National team in Europe.

I don't know anything about the WNBA and I assume both Gabby and Wilson go high to bad teams. But Gabby wins a ship before Wilson. Or more of them. I question Wilson's endurance and quickness against the best of the best. Gabby will be a do everything star. Not the best player on the team, but a great Robin.

Is Katie Lou definitely out Tuesday? Once we get her and Camara back, we'll see an 8 man rotation.

But as you said, nice to see Espinoza knock down some shots. Confidence is everything.

Katie Lou is listed as day to day but the UCLA game will be a homecoming game for her in front of friends and family and it can be presumed she will want to play badly. This game is a possible loss. I don't think it will happen but it is a clearly losable game.

UCLA will be a TOUGH TOUGH game for us.

Stevens is FAR less than we were told. Nothing close to "possibly the best player in the country" talk we heard from everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT