ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women Put Up 100 points in 3 Quarters

They had a stretch of incredible passes in the first half capped by Crystal going around the back.

And KLS is looking like her fellow #33 Larry Bird with her passing this year. It's contagious.

I thought the only thing lacking in the Samuelson/Bird comparison is the passing, but Katie Lou had a career high 9 assists and every day looks more like the women's answer to Larry Bird. One of the them was on a wide open 3 look, instead she saw Stevens inside and fired an entry pass for an easy layup.

The most impressive aspect of the Dangerfield behind the back pass was it was the only play she could have made. Basically every other possible decision, based on the defense and position of the defender on that play, would have led to a bad shot or TO. The behind the back pass was the correct decision and it was fired on the money to Samuelson in stride.

Crystal was fantastic today, as was the whole team.

Last edited:
They had a stretch of incredible passes in the first half capped by Crystal going around the back.
And KLS is looking like her fellow #33 Larry Bird with her passing this year. It's contagious.

Brilliant minds think alike, LOL !...... At some point I had that same flashback of the old Celtic days in the 80's at the Civic Center.....when they would just toy with teams passing the ball around making the game look to easy !

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I thought the only thing lacking in the Samuelson/Bird comparison is the passing, but Katie Lou had a career high 9 assists and every day looks more like the women's answer to Larry Bird. One of the them was on a wide open 3 look, instead she saw Stevens inside and fired an entry pass for an easy layup.

The most impressive aspect of the Dangerfield behind the back pass was it was the only play she could have made. Basically every other possible decision, based on the defense and position of the defender on that play, would have led to a bad shot or TO. The behind the back pass was the correct decision and it was fired on the money to Samuelson in stride. Crystal was fantastic today, as was the whole team.
Crystal gave me another childhood flashback...any oldschoolers remember Ernie D to Bob McAdoo on the old Buffalo Braves.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Blades, Buffalo Braves? ;)

Btw, have you gentlemen seen the top 10 of all time on fsny?

I thought Maya would have been #2 and Stewy 3, but it's hard to argue with 4 national titles and 4 final 4 MVPs.

Bird seems a little high at 4. It's just crazy that national players of the year, didn't make the list. Not to mention a ton of AA's.

IF Katie Lou wins the final four MVP and two more rings the next two years, as well as a player of the year award, she'll probably crack the top ten.

Sue Bird is UConn career record holder in 3 point FG% (45.9%, for her career), and FT% (89.2% career shooter). She is second all time in assists, however I believe she is the WNBA career assists leader. She also won the Lieberman Award as top point guard in the nation 3 straight years. I can't argue her placement. The top 3 are also hard to argue except the order.

Katie Lou Samuelson has improved immensely since her freshmen year. Her freshman year was a bit of a disappointment, but she has become better at all facets of the game since then. The main thing that holds Katie Lou back is I still think she could be a bit stronger. She is less effective against athletic, physical teams. Offensive talent wise, she is good as anyone UConn has ever had. She is best at using both hands since Taurasi, who also could do the same.

Blades, Buffalo Braves? ;).

LOL, yeah that was a real team ....Ernie didn't play long in the NBA, I think he finished with the Celtics but he was the #3 pick overall in the draft, here's some when he was @ PC with Marvin Barnes:

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Wow blades! Looked like white chocolate Jason Williams or The pistol himself. Good warch, gracias.

K99, I didn't watch Maya's career. Her stats are staggering. You'd take Briana over her? Was surprised Geno said no one played harder than Maya.

I'll tell you what, gabby won't make any of these lists. But if I'm putting an all time starting five together that actually would have to play together. She'd be on it. And Kia would be coming off the bench.

Last edited:
Didnt Breanna Stewart win championships all 4 years? She was the best 2 way player in UConn history. A lot of people have forgotten all that she did on defense to block shots and protect the rim.

k99, yes and 4 final four MVP awards. I think Maya and Stewy are probably a coin toss. Although, not having seen Moore play, I'll defer.

Geno said no one affected the game more physically than Stewy.

Reactions: UconNell
Arguably, you can make Stewart number 1 and put Taurasi and Moore in a tie for number 2. I think Diana gets number 1 because the 2003 and 2004 teams she led to national championships were widely viewed as not very talented outside of Diana, hence the nickname “Diana and the 7 dwarfs.” I believe there is some truth to that. Diana lifted up and carried those teams in a way that you rarely see in college hoops. Those teams were not athletic and they scrapped their way through the NCAA tourney.

Maya Moore was also a dynamic 2 way player but she played with Tina Charles and had some better talent around her than Diana did. Ditto with Stewart, she had a better supporting cast than Diana did in 2003 and 2004. Diana’s legacy was partly being part of the Bird-Taurasi backcourt which was the best in college basketball history 2001 and 2002, and then leading those overachieving title teams of 2003 and 2004. Diana should have won 4 championships, but did not due to injuries to Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosomova. That 2001 team still made it to the Final 4 and lost to eventual champion ND. Diana was forced to shoulder a bigger load due to the absence of Shea and Svet and she wasn’t ready for it as a freshman. If not for those injuries Diana would have had 4 rings at UConn.

That's the argument. D did more with less. And why Geno coined the phrase 'we have Diana and you don't'.

She was also transcendent. I thought I'd never get into women's basketball until I watched her. She played like a mini Magic Johnson and made everyone else so much better. But also took and made the tough shots. Which is why I think she is #1 and I think Geno would agree. He even called her a 'genius' and the 'best teammate' he ever coached.

ADVERTISEMENT