ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women Elite 11 All Test Negative

Hopefully things will get better, especially after the Uconn FB (even though they all tested negative) news today...... and all our B-ballers will have a season this year.

UConn unfortunately had their decision dictated to them by scheduling with schools who canceled games with non conference schools. They really couldn't play much of a schedule even if they wanted to.

UConn unfortunately had their decision dictated to them by scheduling with schools who canceled games with non conference schools. They really couldn't play much of a schedule even if they wanted to.

True, but it is the same with Army, only 8 games left , BYU who's down to six games and most of the other Indies who would've probably had to do home and aways with each other....."UConn could have also faced travel restrictions for some of the remaining scheduled games, as there are currently 34 states in the U.S. on a travel advisory list, requiring travelers from those states to quarantine for 14 days following trips. Benedict noted that there were enough inquiries for games to still hold a season, but the concern over health outweighed the pros of competing."

Deseret News had reported
, BYU could schedule games against fellow independents Liberty, UMass, New Mexico State, UConn and Army. But now they can take Uconn out of that mix...
And I wouldn't be surprised if CFB keeps losing players and games with the opt outs allowed by the NCAA today after Uconn's announcement.

Eeq5IYeX0AEPtDm

I guess the only plus for all Uconn FB SR's is they can come back again next year to play Clemson, the "Civil Conflict" rematch vs. UCF, Purdue, Vandy, Army at West Point.... etc.

Eeq5m4rWAAA4016

Last edited:
UConn unfortunately had their decision dictated to them by scheduling with schools who canceled games with non conference schools. wrong according to the AD: They really couldn't play much of a schedule even if they wanted to.

Also:

Last edited:
ESPN's Riddick commends UConn FB for making safe decision to cancel season:

Last edited:
" Once the rest of the country cancels football, we'll know there's no fall sports at all ".......UConn canceled its football season Aug. 5 because of concerns over COVID-19, and Auriemma said Monday that he thinks it is "just a matter of time" before college football as a whole will be postponed......"So there won't be any [basketball] games in November. And then we can start thinking about January, maybe, or February. Who knows?"'

Last edited:
Well it's official....B1G and the PAC follow Uconn FB's lead, cancels fall sports ....hoping for JAN hoops as Geno mentions above.

Last edited:
Bias mentioned the bubble concept. I think bubble concepts need to be explored as the NBA and NHL bubbles are working. There are different ways to stage a bubble and if you get some people together and dedicate their minds to it they can come up with something. It could actually be a way for the kids to develop basketball and get educated in a confined environment. Perhaps with online classes.

Well it's official....B1G and the PAC follow Uconn FB's lead, cancels fall sports ....hoping for JAN hoops as Geno mentions above.
The B1G see "some" games go on and the money flowing in and says...." Can we have a do over ? " now they'll do an 8 +1 game season ...Rutgirls not happy......SO what's this all mean for hoops ?

Last edited:
Well... the FB team had 6 positives Aug 20th, after a couple of months of training, now.....

Not a good time to have this happen 3 weeks away from opener but hopefully everyone else tests negative and they will be able to resume practice without the infected player soon.

Do you guys realize that the UConn women will have played 4 games before the men tip off on December 11 and play their first game?

Is this speculation ? Hockey opens the season tonight which will be the first of any Uconn team to compete since the Covid-19 shut down in March.

And alot of the MBB players were saying 6 days away on social media , which would be vs. CCSU on the 25th and then there is this....

"UConn also is tentatively scheduled to host Hartford on Friday, Nov. 27. ( Unless the Govener cancels everything I guess. ) After that, UConn will compete in three straight non-conference games at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Huskies will play in the Legends Classic, facing Vanderbilt on Dec. 1 and either USC or BYU on Dec. 3. Then the Huskies will play North Carolina State on Dec. 5. "

Last edited:
Blades,

The UConn website has clearly posted the next game will be December 11 against St. John's:

Although the other games you mention have been discussed in the media, it appears that is just good old fashioned hype by the schools and tournament involved. C'mon man, I thought you were in the entertainment biz, you know how it works, events get hyped all the time whether they actually happen or not. If they have not been officially scheduled, they are not scheduled, and are just wishful thinking of the promoters at this point in time.

On the other hand the UConn girls will have 4 games under their belts by December 11, and it appears 3 of them will be televised:

The opener is Quinnipiac, which should be a decent team, on SNY with pregame show starting at noon on November 28 which is 1 week from tomorrow!

Last edited:
Blades,
The UConn website has clearly posted the next game will be December 11 against St. John's:
C'mon man, I thought you were in the entertainment biz, you know how it works, events get hyped all the time whether they actually happen or not.

On the other hand the UConn girls will have 4 games under their belts by December 11, and it appears 3 of them will be televised:

The opener is Quinnipiac, which should be a decent team, on SNY with pregame show starting at noon on November 28 which is 1 week from tomorrow!
Well it's not like this is normal circumstances obviously and there is absolutely zero reason to hype anything right now regarding the entertainment business. The entertainment business is about talent buy and renting out the right venue for your event so you can put enough asses in seats to exceed your break even and then some. Since there will be no (paid) asses in seats except those who are comped as Uconn player friends and family members, anything regarding hype in the normal entertainment formula is absolutely moot.

Other than that this whole thing is non-stop/ fluid across the board. Hell the men's hockey team got scheduled to open play vs. Vermont tonight by HE eight days ago, Vermont cancelled all sports for a month, 5 days ago, leaving Uconn sitting this week-end. Then 3 days ago Umass lost Maine and suddenly Uconn is playing again tonight...

My guess is Hurley has no interest in playing right now because of the 2 week shut down and he loathes not being in perfect form and his fear of losing with only 6 days to prepare. But IMHO , if the girls are playing soon, MBB will also be playing well before the DEC 11th date. ( Covid rules exception)

Last edited:
Blades, that is true as far as paid asses, but I think some of the tournament PR guys know the TV revenue will enable them to recoup some of their losses. The December 11 start date, frankly, might be wise and if that tournament gets crushed so be it, the health of the players is more important than anything else.

The girls I thought had been practicing, if so they will be ready to go vs QU.

( Covid rules exception) Don't jinx them ;)...all it takes is one positive for either team...:(

I think we all realize the situation is precarious and when you think about it is not just the players but the staff so if you add all that up it could be more like 1 person in 50 having a positive test is all it will take to shut down those games. And right now the positivity rate in CT is 6.48% so the odds are not good for a 0 in 50.

All that being said I am praying that they make it and play those games as I am very anxious to see how the women look, they have exceptional talent and depth. I am most curious about what they will get out of Westbrook, how much we will see her and how much Bueckers will play on ball, and how much Geno will deploy 3 guard offenses with 2 bigs or perhaps Makurat and ONO as the only forwards. Geno in the past could be tight with his rotations, but he did not have the same level of talent on the bench or else had players who were gimpy on the bench. We need to see what the early season games will look like. QU is a game where he can play all these girls and I want to see what they can all bring.

College football has been getting crushed with cancellations leading to unbalanced schedules, and the cancellation of the Clemson-Florida State game today comes with a vague statement as to the reasons why, as it does not seem to be based on any specific positive tests:

It sounds like they are just flat afraid to play the game for fear of what might happen.

Last edited:
I don't understand this because not only is St. John's on December 11 listed as the first game on the schedule, but they have a "countdown ticker" counting off the days, hours, minutes and seconds to tip off of the SJU game on the UConn basketball page:

Why would they intentionally jeopardize TV revenue by posting fake news? I can't believe that someone is this asleep at the switch updating the website, but I will keep watching for updates. I do not want to miss ANY games men or women.

Why would they intentionally jeopardize TV revenue by posting fake news? I can't believe that someone is this asleep at the switch updating the website, but I will keep watching for updates. I do not want to miss ANY games men or women.
Uconn and all BE schools get a fixed amount.. per the long term Fox TV contract rights , so I don't know why you keep adding that as a variable, it's not. Along with selling tickets. But because of the non-stop Covid issues, I've also read Uconn isn't ready to sign a pay to play contract with CCSU and U Hart. Like I said above Uconn only agreed to play and announce Umass hockey roughly 48 hours before the games this week-end took place.

Will they play ? Who knows, like you posted above (Fla St. - Clem), teams have been cancelling hours before games... just like in the spring. Remember the BE cancelling a tourney game at half time ? None of this is hype or entertainment related, it's well beyond that. ( they are playing by the Covid rules exceptions) Everything in all sports should probably be listed as Tentative

Last edited:
Also interesting FOX just posted their weekly schedule again this morning on twitter , check out the Big East schedule for WED.

The (subject to change) on everything is probably the most accurate statement on all of these events.

Last edited:
OK I am going to stay tuned on that and hope the game goes forward. The revenue I was talking about is Fox Sports advertising revenue in broadcasting these games. I can't imagine they would be happy if their broadcast partners aren't advertising and listing these games so people will actually tune in and then Fox gets something out of having paid for these games. I think UConn should in good faith be on the same page as Fox to assist it in generating the TV revenue needed to sustain the contracts that pay the BE and/or UConn. If I am a Fox executive looking at that website page and reading your posts Blades, I am not happy. Not happy at all.

OTOH, the women's page is listing all games and TV applicability of each. They are keeping SNY and ESPN happy. You always keep happy the hand that feeds you.

Last edited:
OK I am going to stay tuned on that and hope the game goes forward. The revenue I was talking about is Fox Sports advertising revenue in broadcasting these games. I can't imagine they would be happy if their broadcast partners aren't advertising and listing these games so people will actually tune in and then Fox gets something out of having paid for these games. I think UConn should in good faith be on the same page as Fox to assist it in generating the TV revenue needed to sustain the contracts that pay the BE and/or UConn. If I am a Fox executive looking at that website page and reading your posts Blades, I am not happy. Not happy at all.

OTOH, the women's page is listing all games and TV applicability of each. They are keeping SNY and ESPN happy. You always keep happy the hand that feeds you.

KSTW....seriously WTF it's Covid season and has been... everyone seems to be aware of this except you ...stay tuned and pay attention for your sports. You think NESN was worried about their Uconn-Umass TV game on less than 48 hours notice ? No they put out posts (below) like they did Friday on twitter, that's the best they can do. ...again your digging in on expectations that I guarantee Fox and everyone else including a 5 year old knows doesn't apply right now in sports ... it's the world we live in....Schedules mean less than nothing as your (Fla st. -Clem ) post above x 100 others prove. But I'll do my best to keep you and any other readers who don't follow SM informed.... That's what I do for the site . ;)

Last edited:
But IMHO , if the girls are playing soon, MBB will also be playing well before the DEC 11th date.
( Covid rules exception)
I don't know if he can be trusted but the Uhart MBB coach John Gallagher says he's playing Uconn on Friday....as promised the Blades does his best to scan the WWW to bring the latest in Uconn news .;)

Last edited:
the Blades said: because of the non-stop Covid issues, I've also read Uconn isn't ready to sign a pay to play contract with CCSU and U Hart.

I guess they've finally felt ready and safe enough to sign the contracts...GO HUSKIES !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT