ADVERTISEMENT

UConn WBB Update!

Blades can you post an update on Jana El Alfy's injury when it's posted? There is something posted already on CT Insider but I can't read it.
Yeah it looked like an ankle which is better than a knee..............

"However, the Husky went down with an apparent non-contact lower leg injury halfway through the second quarter of Egypt’s final game on Sunday. The 6-foot-5 center immediately sat on the floor and grabbed at her left ankle. She was ushered off the court on a wheelchair........ El Alfy’s best performance came on Friday when she scored 38 of Egypt’s 83 points, along with 18 rebounds on 63.2 percent shooting, in its win over Chinese Taipei. El Alfy recorded three double-doubles across seven games, despite only playing in Egypt’s last game for just 14 minutes before getting injured................. Details of the injury were not immediately known Sunday. "

Thanks for the update. That is good news that it's the ankle and not the knee. This kid seems like she might be better than originally thought. Hopefully it's just a sprained ankle which will heal in due course.

TOS was saying that Jana had severe cramping.

after the last few years, we deserve some good luck.

That's absolutely brutal news. We saw this happen with Akok Akok and it totally messed him up. I don't think he was the same player after the injury.

In watching the replay it looks like after she shot the FT and missed, she charged forward suddenly to try to grab the offensive rebound (which a teammate of hers grabbed). It was the sudden move forward that tore her Achilles. If she made the FT this never happens. Fate is cruel!

Last edited:
More on UConn's Irish recruit-turns out the guy who spotted her is a former Irish hoopster named Kieran Quinn with connections to both Hurley and Calhoun:

Last edited:
Geno is big on hosting team dinners and over the years various girls' families have hosted the team for dinner, especially when they get the "hometown road games" like Nika, Paige and Aaliyah are all getting this year.

If I was hosting them, I would just order a bunch of pizzas from Modern, Pepe or Sally's in New Haven and they would all love it. Nobody doesn't like pizza, especially New Haven pizza.

If I was hosting them, I would just order a bunch of pizzas from Modern, Pepe or Sally's in New Haven and they would all love it. Nobody doesn't like pizza, especially New Haven pizza.
I guess Uconn Football jumped on your idea in a flash........

I work at a location in New Haven that is physically in the middle of the so called "Holy Trinity of Pizza"- Modern, Sally's and Pepe's. We usually order from Modern because it's the closest. Ironically, just last week, Pizza Today awarded Modern 2023 Pizzeria of the year- read this article, its great:

Just like UConn is a national champion in basketball, Modern is Connecticut's national champion in pizza.

I work at a location in New Haven that is physically in the middle of the so called "Holy Trinity of Pizza"- Modern, Sally's and Pepe's. Just like UConn is a national champion in basketball, Modern is Connecticut's national champion in pizza.
Like with all food preferences, it's all in the eye "taste buds" of the beholder...here's what other Husky fans think:

OT: Best Pizza in CT

I have been to all 3 of the Holy Trinity many times and my opinion is that all 3 are great. There are some imitators of them in the New Haven area that are top notch as well, specifically Roseland in Derby and Zuppardi's in West Haven. The greater New Haven area is filled with pizzerias serving so called New Haven style pizza which is distinctive for its thin charred crust (giving a distinctive flavor and aroma), and overall taste. I think the 3 charter members of the Holy Trinity, Modern, Sally's and Pepe's, do it the best, but others do it well. Sally's Fresh Tomato Pie, Pepe's white clam pie and Modern's Italian bomb are legendary creations. I have always felt spoiled on pizza when I travel. Specifically Florida, their pizza is awful and I was outraged by a place in Bradenton marketing themselves as New Haven style pizza when they be serving shit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven–style_pizza

Finally I ran a pizzeria in Bridgeport as manager for 3 years between college and law school so I know a little bit about it. The pizza we made back in the day was very very good but not in the same league as the Holy Trinity. It's like the difference between AAA and Major League Baseball or, more appropriately to this thread, Big East basketball and very good division II basketball. New Haven is the big time.

It's all what you grow up on, I'm more into typical greek style and haven't been impressed with the New Haven pie, tastes like an overhype, so to me it's whatever. Florida, yep 100% with ya on that.... since I lived there on & off for 20 years in South FLA and knew alot of other NE transplants down there. We'd all get lost looking for good pie & have the same impression "fugetabotit"

ADVERTISEMENT