ADVERTISEMENT

UConn WBB Update!

Fbb3iNmUsAAkf-_

Paige WILL RETURN to UConn!!!!!!!!!!! She does not really need to come back but is a true Husky!!!!!!! She will be an assistant coach this year:

UConn's incoming class includes 5-foot-9 point guard KK Arnold, 6-foot-4 center Jana El Alfy ( UConn's first player from Egypt), 6-foot-2 wing Qadence Samuels and 5-foot-10 shooting guard Ashlynn Shade.

Preview on UConn-Iowa as UConn tries to take down a 3rd top 10 team in their first 5 games:
Hard to say if Iowa will be a tougher test than Texas or NC State, but UConn will be playing on a neutral court this time and not sure they have anyone who is a good defensive matchup on Caitlin Clark. I am guessing Nika Muhl will most likely get that defensive assignment but she will need help.

Ducharme is unplayable right now.

Clark is easily wiinon ing the superstar battle Right now.

Although, Michael Jordan would be jealous of the whistle that Clark gets. Marone! Edwards and Griffin keeping them in the game.

the Defense stinks. Don’t tell me Muhl is the BEDPY.

but Caroline must read the boards, because she’s contributing after my motivational comments. 😂 let’s hope it’s her coming out party for this year in the second half.

I knew what I was doing. 😎

good response. Not sure why Griffin didn’t get more reps at Clark.

geno rewards skill over athleticism. That works against most, But won’t against South Carolina,

It's a fair question whether anyone can beat South Carolina, although Stanford might have had they not made lots of mental mistakes down the stretch of that game.

UConn has beaten 3 top 10 teams and I like that they are being tested early with these tough games.

Looking at the stats UConn women outshot Iowa 55% to 42%, outrebounded Iowa 45-29, and outassisted Iowa 30-15 led by Muhl's 13 assists.

Muhl also had 6 turnovers. I respect her grit, but she’s a little overrated imo.

Edwards was great all game and Azzi and Caroline got it going in the second half. Hopefully this is Caroline’s break out. Although, Patterson has to play more. She’s a top 2/3 recruit and we are going to need her against the South Carolina’s of the world. That’s Geno’s limitation. He’s terribly average the last 5 years utilixing/devolving his depth. He should tune in to the men once and awhile. Hopefully Danny had his ear on the trip out to Oregon.

Patterson is an excellent defender and rebounder but she looks extremely limited offensively. They are playing 4 on 5 when she is out there offensively.

BTW the reason UConn has no depth is injuries. In case you didn't hear Paige Bueckers and Ice Brady both out for the year with knee injuries. They both would be starting if healthy and that means 2 current starters would be on the bench. The main reason for the lack of depth in recent years was injuries. Aubrey being out the last couple years depleted their bench as did other injuries. You can't play a bench when it disappears as a result of injuries. Geno recruited depth, but it's gone once you have 2-3 injuries. With Brady and Bueckers UConn would have been the clear #2 team in the nation with a very good shot at beating South Carolina.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I vaguely heard about the injury to this player Paige, you speak of. That’s why Patterson and Deberry should be playing Now, you are going to need them in March. Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is loco, ese.

Reports indicate Dorka Juhasz will be out for at least the next 2 games, Friday vs. Providence and then Sunday at ND. The game at ND is a losable game. That's a really, really good ND team that will be tough to beat on the road. UConn really could have used Dorka for this game as the depth is shaky and any foul trouble by Edwards likely means big problems up front.

Amari Deberry is a top 15 recruit. If Geno can’t get anything out of her in year 2, that’s on him.

Have you observed DeBerry's body? She is not physically capable of matching up with Maddy Westbeld. It's going to be either Edwards or Patterson

Last edited:
Patterson absolutely has to play more. She’s foul prone, but 10 mpg is criminal. Especially with Dorka out.

Now Muhl is out after getting injured tonight. What a nightmare. UConn was eaten up by Princeton's press, a press they would be eating up if Nika and Azzi were in the game. Lucky to win the game tonight.

do we even have 5 healthy girls to play this game today?

Caroline has to start playing good basketball or this game could be ugly.

Spectacular first half by UConn: 17 assists (9 by Muhl), 54% FGs, outrebounded FSU 25-16. Dorka has 9 points, 6 boards, 4 blocks and a bunch of nice passes. Muhl and Dorka have come back in style!

With Geno out, I expected a more liberal substation pattern, not less. No minutes for Deberry and 2 for Patterson.

they should turn on a mens game some time.

Just when you thought the UConn men might be staking a claim to the highest assist totals seen at UConn, the women went out and dropped 30 (THIRTY!) dimes on Seton Hall today, led by Muhl's 11 as she continues to lead the nation in assists. Not surprisingly, UConn shot 60.3% on FGs for the game.

ADVERTISEMENT