ADVERTISEMENT

UConn WBB Nonconference Opponents Ranked, 1-9

When you are a Big East Team and play 9 nonconference opponents and the weakest of those 9 opponents is a Big 10 team, I would say (1) that is a pretty freaking amazing schedule,and (2) the only cupcakes are the Big East bottom-feeders:
Great OOC from how it reads, but isn't Geno up against the same thing in the NBE as he was in the AAC ?
Where it was Uconn and maybe USF as only 2 NCAA teams in the conference ? Who is the other top level WBB team in the NBE , Depaul ? Since there is no Notre Dame, Louisvile, Rutgers etc, for high level WBB comp like back in the day.

Seems like the NBE isn't the same comp upgrade for the women...... as it is the men, where there's talk about half the teams fighting it out for the tourney this year.....And for the men, the NBE has been rated #4 in the country since 2014. (while AAC MBB is sinking even farther down the ratings after the loss of Houston, UCF, Cincy)

“I think the league is definitely going to have six or seven teams vying for an NCAA position just because of the age, the experience, the size, obviously the level of coaching is always very competitive,” Cooley said. From article below:

Last edited:
Blades,

That's why UConn really upgraded the OOC. That and because when you have a team that can win the national championship and is one of the 2-3 leading contenders, and those contenders do not exist in conference, you go out and schedule as many of them as you possibly can.

The new Big East is still better than the AAC would have been, even the old AAC pre-Big12 raid. Outside of DePaul, Villanova and Seton Hall have decent teams, although they are not really teams that could go far in the NCAA. Nor is DePaul. The new Big East needs to pick it up in recruiting.

That being said, does anyone think UConn will go undefeated? I think they will not drop a game in the Big East, but the game at SC is certainly a possible loss. I am going to say this will be a 1 or 2 loss team (like last year) heading into NCAA tournament. Undefeated is a possibility, but in my view not likely.

Blades,

I am going to say this will be a 1 or 2 loss team (like last year) heading into NCAA tournament. Undefeated is a possibility, but in my view not likely.
How about Geno breaking his undefeated record, with all the talent he's stockpiling ? He used to say that
he could only have about 5-6 great players... tops.... because " guys" don't want to wait for PT, so they'd go elsewhere. That no longer seems to be the case, what's he have 9 or 10... 5 star players on the team with another 2-3 committed for the future.

Blades,

Geno has stockpiled an incredible amount of talent on this team. I do not believe any team since 2001-2002 has had the total roster talent of this team, or is even remotely close. As has been mentioned about that here and elsewhere, he has to be more comfortable playing his bench, than he was in the past when his bench was not this good. Because the talent he has, has to be played. I think Geno will figure it out, and adapt to what he has. In the big OOC games it will be hard to play more than the top 8, but in the NBE games, the whole roster will play every game with appropriate minutes distribution because the team is not losing any of those games. And many games will be over by the 2nd quarter.

Blades,

That's why UConn really upgraded the OOC.
Regarding scheduling, WBB and Geno would be probably be the one Uconn team that would benefit tremendously if they went to the ACC if they ever matched the Notre Dame add to give them an even 16 schools for their conference. What did they have 8 NCAA teams last year ?

That's why (seeing that this CR never ends) it's so imperative that Uconn gets their FB team turned around and winning again. Especially since Uconn football already plays home and homes with all the ACC Carolina teams, BC, Cuse, 4 times, PITT has been mentioned, etc. It's not like the don't have alot of interest/allies in the conference. Having a better resume across all sports needs to happen because it seems like there will still be more moves left in the CR shuffle.

Last edited:
We don't know where CR will end up or whether there will even be an ACC when the smoke clears. I suspect it's 50-50 that in 5 years there will be no ACC as we know it now. We are headed towards a couple of super leagues. Probably 2 with new names. That's my Swami Crystal Ball prediction.

ADVERTISEMENT