ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. St Joe's

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
MATCHUP NIGHTMARE?: Dan Hurley said the Hawks are “kind of like a matchup nightmare” for UConn
REBOUND, RINSE, REPEAT: After being outrebounded in their season-opening win over Sacred Heart (including by a 28-13 margin in the first half), the Huskies got a lot of work on the boards over the past couple of days of practice.
HALFTIME SURPRISE?: Javonte Brown-Ferguson, a 6-foot-11 center from Toronto (area) , will announce his decision at 8 p.m. on Wednesday. He's down to UConn, Texas A&M and Kansas.

FULL READ:

This appears to be a solid team. They beat Bradley (MVC Champion, NCAA Tourney Team last year) by 5 at home, then lost to ODU by 13 on the road. Their main man is 6'5" guard Ryan Daly, who through 2 games is averaging 17 points, 9 boards and 7.5 assists as a poor man's Luka Doncic.

There is no posted line so far although I expect to see one tomorrow

Last edited:
St. Joe's starters-
#......................................Pos....HT/WT......YR.........PPG

1......Ryan Daly------------G--- 6-5/225--- RJr......17.0
3......Cameron Brown-----G----6-5/210---Fr........10.0
33....Taylor Funk-----------F---.6-8/230---Jr........ 7.0
2..... Myles Douglas-------F----6-7/215---RSo....11.0

21....Lorenzo Edwards----F----6-8/215----Jr.......17.5

Last edited:
One thing I should mention is that St. Joe's is picked 14th - dead last - in the Atlantic 10 by Street & Smith and 13th by Lindy's. On the other hand, Sacred Heart, UConn's 1st opponent, was picked to win the NEC by Lindy's and 3rd in the NEC by Street and Smith. These analyses suggest that St. Joe's is lacking something inside - no good post players. They said Taylor Funk and Ryan Daly are mostly perimeter/3 point shooting threats. I think Sid Wilson might need to get acquainted with Daly and perhaps Brendan Adams as well. UConn is giving up a lot of size to the SJU backcourt.

HALFTIME SURPRISE?: Javonte Brown-Ferguson, a 6-foot-11 center from Toronto (area) , will announce his decision at 8 p.m. on Wednesday. He's down to
UConn, Texas A&M and Kansas
Also don't look now but alot of band wagon picks are jumpin' on the bus with guess who ??? ...... hope they don't change the JU JU:

Javonte Brown-Ferguson...... THE MIGHTY CRYSTAL BALL

mysticman.jpg

Also more east coast bias ;)...on his Rivals page FutureCast......including a Corey Evans ....flip.... Javonte Brown-Ferguson

Last edited:
The juicing of the 24/7 Crystal Ball may be with good reason. Their Swami is a pretty good one and could have some inside info that led to that swing.

Meanwhile the line on the game tonight is UConn -14.5. Based on all that I have read I am going to pick another cover. I actually think SJU is not as good as SHU. UConn will outrebound them and figure out a way to match up with SJU's big guards. The defense of Sid Wilson and Brendan Adams off the bench tonight will be HUGE, as they figure to get the toughest defensive assignments.

Speaking of match-ups, hopefully Alterique can take advantage of his quickness being covered by a 6-5 guard. As long as he uses it in a positive way, by getting his team mates involved off his dribble. Not for throwing up more shots ( 38% last year & 2-9 FG's last game). Since he hasn't been a good enough shooter to be taking high volume attempts, for quite awhile.

Last edited:
Welp. A blowout home loss to a sub ranked 200 team is a death blow.

NIT is probably the best case scenario for this team now. Hate to see the season end in mid November but this is a putrid loss.

I thought it was coach speak about it being a matchup nightmare.

Now I see what he is really saying is that everyone is a nightmare matchup because he has no clue how to game plan.

UConn didn’t seem to have any plan on offense or defense. They looked disorganized on both ends. But there is still another half to play.

Well, that first 4 minutes says a lot about this team.

if this team had an ounce of character, they’d have come out with amazing intensity after playing one of the worst halves in school history.

instead, the opponent has more intensity and extends the lead.

This group of kids is currently not worth supporting. See y’all next year.

Well I’m glad they at least fought and make it respectable but the committee will see a big L next to a 200-250th ranked caliber team so this team’s season is pretty much over.

hope they sit on this for a year and get better because this is a season ender

ALTERIQUE GILBERT IS POISON... worse than the bad Dyson on his worst day.... 5-10" and wont listen to what his coach preached to him all summer. Still driving the lane out of control into 3 bigs throwing up amazing BS all game and just when your ready to turn the corner & get back into a 3-4 point game.... there he is with 2 more dumb TO's to seal the loss...Plus once AG wont pass .....Vital does the same thing and you have two guys who can't score off the dribble... ......at least CV does other things like staying in front of his man on D and rebounding his ass off. (16 rebs)

Dan Hurley this summer about Alterique's over penetration. "And AG has to know what he's gonna do with the ball at the FT line and to stop with the drives under the basket....... a great PG knows what he's got to do with the ball by at least 10/12 ft away whether it's a floater or spraying it to the weapons he has around him " ( Polley was 4-4 on 3's BTW) ....In the meantime "Reckless Al" is 5-19 on FG's with 2 asst and 5 TO's from the PG position..... How do you spell LOSING? ...AG

Last edited:
BOX SCORE

The senior backcourt, brought to you by KO, were 10 for 40 on FG's (25% !!! )..let that sink in.... WHY because they're 2 Hero ball gunners who kill ball movement which every opponent in America would love to play against............and FWIW....The rest of the team was 12/23 (52%) including Sid Wilson's 0-4 ( another guy who doesn't know the difference between a good shot and a terrible one !) ..also Akok and Polley were both 4-5 FG's and 6-6 on 3's between them but ..." the ball hog brothers" ...want to take 40 shots !!!

Last edited:
p.s. the students at Uconn suck !!! ...Free tix to every game and 2 entire blocks of student areas were 95% empty...way to support your team on campus ! ...I thought the drive to Hartford/ E. Hartford for FB, BB and hockey was the reason they don't show up SMH !......The next person who starts the argument about on campus stadiums and arena's for the students can stick it.

I knew Uconn's AD was gonna alienate long time season ticket holders for their loyalty with the extortion "donations' after the 3 worse MBB seasons in 30 years. That was like pouring gas on the fire for a garbage product and forcing tons of loyal season tix holders to walk away...which they did... So nice job Uconn ....mission accomplished..... attendence - 4081 ...But what's the excuse for these candy ass kids who can't walk over to Gampel from their comfy little dorms with (free admission to home games) ??? .. it's starting to look like 3/4 of the AAC schools that they're trying to get away from..

Last edited:
Speaking of match-ups, hopefully Alterique can take advantage of his quickness.....As long as he uses it in a positive way, by getting his team mates involved off his dribble. Not ... throwing up more shots ( 38% last year & 2-9 FG's last game). Since he hasn't been a good enough shooter to be taking high volume attempts, for quite awhile.
BUMP ...I called exactly what Alterique would do yesterday morning..... Hurley needs to stop with this Al's a serious kid, tough kid talk , blah blah blah....we saw the same BS with Calhoun and an out of control Dyson and how did that work out ? ( JC finally benched him his SR season).....
DAN.... you need to reel in this low IQ fool of a PG who's to short to be driving into traffic and can't shoot. The talks been about Polley's need for rebounding (hopefully 5 pg)....What AG's doing causes way may damage to a teams ability to win because with the ball in his hands, you can control that.....
so how about telling your PG to give up the rock and look for his team mates....because he doesn't have one other skill as a leader you can rely on ( you know, maybe 6+ assists a game) or bench him and let Gaffney learn the spot, if that won't wake AG up.

Last edited:
Regarding the attendance, when I was a student at UConn 1981-1985, the team was still playing at the old Field House and you couldn’t score tickets, although it wasn’t nearly as big as Gampel. Was fun to attend those games though. They even played Big East games there but usually against Seton Hall and Providence and BC. I recall seeing Billy Donovan his freshman year at PC, Dana Barros at BC and PJ Carlesimo and Seton Hall, when SHU was really bad and worse than UConn, before he built the program up a bit.

Regarding the backcourt play of Gilbert and Vital last night, if you counted the number of bad shots and out of control drives between the two it might have been higher than any two guards ever in one game for UConn. Gilbert just doesn’t know how to play. The whole game he played too fast and rushed shots and didn’t run offense. Both he and Vital were playing hero ball. That was a very winnable game down the stretch with solid guard play and they didn’t deliver it. Sadly it does look like it will be another season with no postseason. They will never win any close games with that type of guard play and decision making. I think Hurley would be wise to cut their minutes and play the freshman guards and build for the future once Bouknight is eligible.

Reactions: the Blades
Al and Vital are just coach killers and they need to sit and sit now. Play others who will at least execute the game plan. Vital has been this type since day one, he has an ego that is just mind blowing. I saw TERRIBLE defense by him......and his offense is just dumb. Sit them NOW.

The only thing we have going for us is that we have this L without our best player Bouk so if we have some big wins we can overtake this loss but anymore to really bad teams and its toast. I do have a feeling that DH knows this loss is a death blow for tourney chances.

If you needed anymore proof that Vital is a cancer just think about his comments this season about UConn making the tourney and how he wasnt going to let this team miss it. Even after todays game his words are hollow. This kid cant wait to go play in europe as he will never see the court in the NBA.

Whaley? He has no clue out there guys. No clue. He wouldnt make St. Joes starting line up. He would be a DII starter and a good kid that whatever that school is fell in love with.

Seriously. I have nothing against the kid in fact I feel for him because I see and hear a kid who REALLY does care and want to be good. HOWEVER, I want to be a PGA Tour player but if I went out there and shot 85/85/85/85 I would get laughed into oblivion and that score is a better showing than what he brings to us.

This roster is so horrendous.
How do you go into the season with 1 person that can even pretend to be a PG, and that person is oft injured and frankly terrible.
So he racks up 35 minute a game no matter how poorly he plays.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for the attendance.
What alternatives are there on a 30 degree Wednesday night that they cant get more than a few hundred students in the building. Granted the team is a dumpster fire but still.

I used to be able to sell my student lottery won game tickets for 5-10 times face value depending on the opponent.

These are sad times

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT