Joshua Langford.........G.....6-5/210.....So......12.8/2.5/1.5
Cassius Winston.........G......6-0/185.....So......9.5/2.8 /8.2

Matt McQuaid..............G........6-4/200......Jr.......9.0/1.8/0.2
Xavier Tillman..............F........6-8/260......Fr.......4.8/3.0/0.5
Gavin Schilling.............F........6-9/240......Sr......3.0/3.8/0.8
Lourawls Nairn Jr.........G......5-10/175....Sr......2.0/ 0.8/4.8
Ben Carter....................F....... 6-9/225......Sr......1.5/1.3/1.3

Last edited:
UConn matches up well against Mich St. this is going to be an all out war against the very physics and tough teams. Having Cobb would be ideal in this battle but every player on UConn’s team this year is tough and ready.

I like our chances especially if Miles isn’t playing.

Would be nice if Cobb could go tonight. Both Onuorah and Carlton fouled out with a lot of time to go last night, and UConn got away with playing Larrier at the 5 and 4 guards. Michigan State would absolutely bitch-slap such a lineup on the boards. So we do not need to go there.

Respectable..............that is all I ask.

What my mind says: We get drilled early and go down by 23 then bring it back and lose by 13

What I DESPERATELY want: We play keep them within 5-8 points and have a shot at the end.

TL is nervous out there....

And I’m about tired of hearing teams focus on him.....Adams getting no respect.

True.... way to many TO's ( 9) in the half ....plus #22 is like watching Dyson or Purvis, when they can't hit a thing. He's 1-9 in the half, but he never met a shot he didn't like & still keeps throwing up bricks and off balance shots off his weak handle......having the worst shooter lead the team in shots is not a formula for winning.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Not having any good bigs is really hurting us
True, but I can't believe KO won't put Diarra or Whaley @ the 4 to help Onuorah and Carlton on the boards and D...with Larrier at the 3 as a spot up shooter (when he sets his feet he's a different player)

Last edited:
True, but I can't believe KO won't put Diarra or Whaley @ the 4 to help Onuorah and Carlton on the boards and D...with Larrier at the 3 as a spot up shooter (when he set his feet he's a different player)

They both stink! Why don't we see any more polley?

I didn’t see the game but it sounds like Cobb would have helped as he is offensively a bit more versatile than the other bigs with his handle and passing ability and I think he would have played a lot of minutes if healthy.

I didn’t see the game but it sounds like Cobb would have helped as he is offensively a bit more versatile than the other bigs with his handle and passing ability and I think he would have played a lot of minutes if healthy.

It depends on what you mean by "helped", it was only a 20 pt game because MSU played like garbage for the 1st 20m. As always, no offensive game plan and there simply wasn't a big on the roster who could handle what the Spartans threw at Uconn. People are acting like some moral victory was achieved when the fact is we looked like a mid major in a down year, despite having 3 players who could compete with anyone.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
I don't expect much from Cobbs offensively but when KO makes this comment : "Every time we made a mistake, [Cassius] Winston found someone, or they got an offensive rebound. They really took it to us in the second half, and we’ve got to learn to make some counter punches.”

Does he realize that he's got a line-up out there that is physically incapable of punching anyone back or rebounding vs. a normal size high major team ??? I'm mean these are the guys he recruited. But I watch plenty of college hoops and this small ball crap he's putting out there, just on defense and rebounding alone, will get destroyed. Hell could you imagine this team trying to compete with any of the Uconn teams we've watched over the years.. this stretch 4 nonsense is BS to think that Larrier at 185lbs is going to compete with the 240-250 lbs guys on Mich St. or Jalen should be guarding Bridges who's got about 5 inches and 40lbs on him....Any opposing coach with a pulse will exploit this Uconn line-up in a sec. Uconn's gone from guys like Freeman, Armstrong, Boone, Charlie V., Adrien, Roscoe, etc. at the 4....... to KO playing somebody as soft as Larrier ( really a skinny NBA size SG, not much bigger than J-Lamb) and expecting to rebound & counter punch ? He better develop someone else with size he can put on the court during the season who can just do those 2 things from a "power forward" spot or we'll keep seeing more of the same. IMHO.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominicfrank
But the 2013-14 team had Daniels at the 4 and Brimah/Nolan at the 5 and they kicked Michigan State’s butts. We all thought MSU, Florida and Kentucky would horse and manhandle UConn on the boards and it didn’t happen. Of course UConn did have much better 3 point shooters on that team, but still he did win a championship playing this small ball.....

But the 2013-14 team had Daniels at the 4 and Brimah/Nolan at the 5 and they kicked Michigan State’s butts. We all thought MSU, Florida and Kentucky would horse and manhandle UConn on the boards and it didn’t happen. Of course UConn did have much better 3 point shooters on that team, but still he did win a championship playing this small ball.....
But those guys could shoot the 3, ( Daniels at 6-9 and Giffey at 6-8), they had one of the top 3 PG's in Uconn history and didn't it take the best FT shooting in the history of the NCAA tourney or it doesn't happen ? And don't forget Brimah's 3pt play in game one or they go home.... or Uconn finally getting a break in the final 8
with a MSG "home game" .....Just saying alot had to go right on that 6 game run.......but even still..... that team never played as small as KO is playing now...

Last edited:
True but if Cobb’s 280 pounds were out there they wouldn’t have seemed as small. You counter beef with beef......and this team has some beef that the 2013-14 team didn’t have.

True but if Cobb’s 280 pounds were out there they wouldn’t have seemed as small. You counter beef with beef......and this team has some beef that the 2013-14 team didn’t have.
Bingo...that's exactly my point or even height with height. He neither recruited anyone who can play or is using the height/size he has. He uses one big at a time which ain't cuttin it. ..Somewhere Uconn went from a 2 PG offense to a 3 PG offense with a anorexic SG at the 4 and he wonders why he's getting punched in the mouth, destroyed down low & beat up on the boards. KO's playing a line-up as small as some of these low major cupcakes that he's struggled against in the past....

Cobb would have helped.

The second half started 6-1 fouls against and they built a ten point lead. Michigan state is a rugged team, fouls should never be 6-1 in their favor. Gilbert had a chance to cut the lead to 2 with 1000 to play and missed a 3. But they deserve the credit and finished the game 12-13 from the field.

We have a long way to go, but I'm still encouraged. Adams and Larrier put up points but had incomplete games. If TL shoots 50% from the field in the first, we are up 9/10 at the half.

Our two lead guards have to find ways to get other people involved. Gilbert passed up a shot and got Larrier the ball once in the second half when he was hot, which was great. And it wouldn't kill Vital to pass on the break. He's played one great game and a few stinkers this year. He also gave up the last three dribble drives to their guard that scored 23 in the second half. Who was guarding him before that?

Last edited:
cobb would have fouled out. zero points, 5 boards, 5 fouls. not sure how much he adds against top comp like MSU. yes, i’d prefer to have him, but he’s the one guy on the roster who could lose a few lbs. once they started running he’s ineffective. we’re not made for that type of team...by that i mean top tier. we’ll get better & i think we’ll be painfully exciting to watch at times. but we should just refrain from shooting 3’s. like Blades said, the ‘14 team had 4 solid long range shooters to compensate for other weaknesses. this team does not possess that. there’s no natural zone buster on this team. so, they need to ratchet up other areas....like maybe their 3 qtr court D. they have enough of legs. go balls to the wall. let pork chop go ballistic. let the alaskan assassin loose for agee minutes. it beats watching them on their half court O. i’m not giving up, just being realistic. i think Larrier has the ability to take them higher, but he’s not ready mentally or physically. another year?

MSU is just better but losing by 20 is all on Ollie. How many times did we drive to the basket and get buckets?????ALL NIGHT How many times did we settle for 3's and long jumpers??????? ALL NIGHT ! Ollie has to YANK whoever does it until they realize they were getting buckets almost everytime they drove the ball.

Adams was the leading scorer but also our worst player last night. How can a kid score on almost every drive and not drive 99% of the time, HELL WINSTON did it all second half and they were laughing at us.

Ollie just doesnt get it. He should sit down the kid each time he jacks up a ill advised jumper. Calhoun style.

It's really kind of simple: when everyone in the world knows that your team can drive to the basket whenever they want but can't shoot the 3, your team gets defensed accordingly. Meaning driving lanes are blocked off and jumpshooters are left open to square up and hoist some 3s. This is going to happen to UConn all year.

The real failure is in not recruiting a pure shooter or two. You really have to have one. As prior posts alluded to, the 2013-14 team had 3 starters who shot better than 40% on 3s. That makes up for weaknesses in other areas.

It's also true, however, that in tough, tightly contested NCAA tournament games, shooting strokes often go south and defense and rebounding wins the games. And UConn could stand to improve a bit on their defense. Although I did not see it allowing a team to make 12 of its last 13 FGs is strong evidence of weak defense being played, and the defensive team being worn down. Cobb being out was one less guy to rotate and it hurts in games like this even, if as Shaggy said, he would have fouled out with 5 boards. Because his presence means others can take chances rather than save fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT