ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. Depaul (Mon- 6pm)

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Uconn @ Depaul, Wintrust Arena, Chicago - Jan 11 (Mon) -6:00 PM - TV: FS1
Make-up and rematch for the game cancelled on DEC 23. Depaul has been starting the same line-up. Huskies gotta keep Isaiah ( fouled out -15 minutes) on the floor for this one. Though Josh did have a double - double filling in @ Gampel. Blue Demons are 1-3 and the only team in BE to play less games than Uconn.

click to enlarge:

BE-10-Depaul-20-21-Roster-Stats-b.jpg

Bouknight is NOT NEEDED this game or the next one. I think the other guys got it, they will pick him up. Let him heal!!

Those stats don't show cumulative team totals. Here is another breakdown showing cumulative team totals:

Of note, the team 3 point shooting has risen to 36.5%, which is the highest it's been since 2014 NC season when they shot 38.7%.

Martin is leading the team in rebounds with 8.5 rpg. He is one of the better offensive rebounders his size that I have ever seen. Off the top of my head can't think of a better offensive rebounder at UConn who was his size.

Those ESPN stats don't tell this stat from college hoops:
6. At 6-1, UConn is arriving right on time
"This is the second-best offensive rebounding team in college basketball. The Huskies retrieve 41% of their misses. Tyrese Martin is a wing averaging 8.5 snags. Bouknight's an elite rebounding guard. This is a mentality. "

CBS Sports 10 takeaways from weekend in NCAAB By: Matt Norlander

Last edited:
I'll call it right now, they read their press clippings and they are gonna lose this game if they don't Wake TFU !!!

Dan needs to earn his money and go ballistic at half time. They are sleeping walking on offense dribbling the shot clock out 25 feet from the basket like Shabazz as a soph. Nobody moving with any urgency off the ball at all, along with both PG's walking it up in snooze mode. Depaul had to really enjoy playing defense against them because they can just pull up a chair.

And the defense is giving up way to many open looks and is lackadaisical on the rotations......UCONN wake-up !!! ...you have no right to be tired .....you have a deep bench who gives you plenty of rest and you have a whole week to sit around after this one !!!

Last edited:
Cole has to step up. I like going to espn scores without finding our conference. :)

I saw this game as a bigger problem than Butler because DePaul is a whole lot more athletic. I am hoping they will wear down and lose their legs late because UConn has played lazy and sloppy ball.

We never look for Sanogo in the post anymore?

moore does some crazy things, but he has more ability than anyone we have Right now.

Wrong...these are exactly the type of games he's needed, when 3/4 of the team is playing like Zombies!

RIGHT! Suffocating D + UConn had Ty Martin and DePaul didn't= Bouk not needed and UConn had it in the bag all the way.

Did DePaul have a single good look in the last 2 minutes when the game was on the line?

Wow...can't hit a foul shot... can't get a 50-50 ball ....thank you defense and Tyrese beating his man off the dribble !

RIGHT! Suffocating D + UConn had Ty Martin and DePaul didn't= Bouk not needed and UConn had it in the bag all the way.

Did DePaul have a single good look in the last 2 minutes when the game was on the line?
You were sh#ttin' your pants prayin' for that sleepwalking W....LOL!

Last edited:
I knew the D would get turned up and that DePaul would have nothing in the tank at the end of the game and both things happened. Reminded me of what UConn did on D to Duke in the 2004 Final 4, although Duke had a much better team than DePail does. 24 turnovers and a whole bunch in the last 5 minutes.

It was in the bag all the way! But it's good to know they can play sloppy, lazy-ass basketball for 35 minutes against a conference weakling, turn it up late and win, because that's what good teams do. Bouk can enjoy his rest tonight and against St. John's next Monday!!!

54.2% from the line, guess they won't be givin' the 2014 team a run for their money !
Also......16 steals ........where's Nadav !

Box Score

ps. is RJ Cole really Antwoine Anderson in disguise ? ( he sure shoots like him)

Last edited:
I should mention that Bouk being out has given UConn an opportunity to develop Martin, Cole, and Polley as secondary scorers and all 3 guys have had moments in the last 3 games. But the Bouknight injury has been fortuitous for the development of Martin. You can see his game growing right before our eyes. I was totally, totally wrong about Martin not being needed until next year and very happy he got his transfer waiver. They need to keep Bouk out another game at least and continue to develop Martin in a main man role. Because if you have closer experience it makes it much better for the team when you slide into the set up man role, the Robin to Bouk's Batman. You can't be Robin unless you learn how to punch.

Martin saved our bacon. But he still left like 10 points on the floor. Point blank misses and FTs.

Cole hit a big 3 down 4. He’s not going to make my top 5 all time UConn PG lists, but he just has to take care of the ball and make timely shots.

Reactions: the Blades
Martin saved our bacon. But he still left like 10 points on the floor. Point blank misses and FTs.

True, but this is because he is learning to become a main man player. Up until now he never had to be. He isn't used to the pressure of having plays called for him and being the first option. It's very different but at the same time he showed that he wants it and relishes it. Martin has to work for his points, but he also unveiled some scoring moves and is showing development in this main man role he has been suddenly thrust into. Give him more time. It's a work in progress.

Cole hit a big 3 down 4. He’s not going to make my top 5 all time UConn PG lists, but he just has to take care of the ball and make timely shots.
RJ is definitely a pocket passer, he's not a dual threat... he might be a better shooter off the ball... ( true ) like on that nice drive and kick by Martin on RJ's 3, it certainly was clutch.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
I watched the Hurley presser in the other thread and he noted that the team was a "step slow" and "tired" after playing its 3rd game in 7 days. Although Hurley didn't come right out and say he gave the guys a pass, he sort of did, saying that good teams learn to "grind out" wins like this one after playing a bunch of road games after 2 weeks of relative nonactivity. He also praised Cole's defense and regarding the numerous point blank misses, and missed FTs, he said the team has to be better finishing but again, I think he knew the team was tired and we saw a tired, but winning performance.

Hurley also seems to think Cole will get better offensively. Cole has been a disappointment offensively to date, but many people have been so surprised by his defense, going back to the Creighton game when he shut down the dynamic Zegarowski, that he has not become an occupant of any fan doghouses. Hopefully he can actually produce the "15 and 5" Hurley thinks he can get.

This was a really strange game. DePaul outrebounded UConn by 10 and also outshot UConn, and winning those 2 things usually insures victory. But the 24 turnovers were just killer for DePaul, especially the 6 in the last 4:30.

Hurley also seems to think Cole will get better offensively. Cole has been a disappointment offensively to date, but many people have been so surprised by his defense, going back to the Creighton game when he shut down the dynamic Zegarowski, that he has not become an occupant of any fan doghouses. Hopefully he can actually ,produce the "15 and 5" Hurley thinks he can get.
Hopefully he does and compared to the out of control drives into traffic and game losing TO's we saw from Al, way to many times, I'd have agree with what Canolee said. It's like RJ is a QB just trying to manage the game. Gilbert had break down ability ( Gaf showed he did too, last year) but AG would drive into the worst possible places in the D and only throw desperation passes after he got swallowed up. Or force the worst possible shots. So to this point RJ hasn't done as much off the dribble in terms of breaking down the opponents D or hitting his shots, but with over 20 pts a game in D-1 ( at Howard or not), you'd hope at some point his % gets better. Like last night on both his makes, RJ's 3 pt shooting seemed better when it was off a catch and shoot, from Adams and Tyrese.

I guess watching guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boat once he learned and Jalen Adams gets you kind of spoiled by breakdown PG's. It's much more glaring if you don't have a guy like James, when you need a shot maker. Though Tyrese's power drives were good enough last night.

ps. Just checked, RJ's was a career 40.4 % shooter at Howard, so hopefully his 31.9 % so far goes up. And I have to give him credit for not forcing to much if he's not hitting. That can shoot ya out of a game like AG's 5-19 FG performance (and CV's 5-21) vs. St. Joe's.

Speaking of Alterique Gilbert , he's shooting worse at Wichita St. than he did at Uconn.

Last edited:
Alterique was bagelled the other night on 0-5 shooting. He has proven to be a completely ineffective college player and is a good example of getting way too excited about a kid with athleticism and speed but zero basketball IQ and instincts. And also a poor shooter.

Cole's positives are that he has a solid basketball IQ, doesn't try to do too much, plays exceptional D and occasionally sticks a big 3 pointer. The negatives are that he doesn't seem to score as easily as we all had hoped. He struggles to get shots and seems like an average shooter at best. Gaffney might ultimately have more potential, but neither of UConn's PGs falls into the category of guys like Jalen Adams or Kemba or Shabazz Napier or Khalid El Amin. They are solid players but nothing special.

Hurley said in his Presser last night that he thinks that with more seasoning, Cole will be good for "15 and 5", but I think that statement is wishful thinking and it's going to be more like 9-10 and 3.5.

Agree on Cole, he will give us a + defender capable of a 15-25pt spurt game but will not average more than 8-9 points for the season like he is right now. I do see his assists to go up to 3-4 on average.

He is a + on both sides and HAS THE ABILITY to have something CLICK and start scoring a lot more.....just dont see it as he doesnt have an attacking style.....he dribbles a lot on the perimeter looking for pretty passes.....

I think the biggest problem Cole has is that teams play him to drive to the left. This is why you see him dribbling around so much, they cut off his going to his left and he isn't strong enough with his drives going to his right. And I think it's the same thing with Gaffney on the right and the result is you have two imperfect point guards. Also, Cole's mid range game is a work in progress, at times he has dropped some floating jumpers but he doesn't look comfortable pulling up and popping. He did have one strong drive against Butler but the strong drives we saw against DePaul in crunch time were by Ty Martin. At times we have seen very strong and aggressive drives by Adams, but his handle is kind of sloppy and you hold you breath and hope he gets bailed out with a foul, and lately teams have been obliging him. In defending a guy like that the strategy is to make him alter his drive by moving towards him so that he has to Eurostep and that is when the guys who are sloppy with their handles get separated from the ball or else called for the offensive foul for looking like they are out of control. I have a theory that it is easier to take charges from guys with weak handles even when you aren't set, because they look like they're out of control when they have to alter their driving lane. This influences the referee into giving the defender the benefit of the doubt even if his position isn't 100% set.

This is why Jalen Adams was tough, when his driving lane was blocked, he could execute the Eurostep and maintain his handle in traffic. With the current point guards it's asking too much to do that. This is also why UConn's TO numbers are a little bit high for a team that is playing 2 point guards a lot of the time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT