ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn vs. Clemson in 2021

" UConn can move forward to finalize the contract with Clemson..... a game that will bring in a program-record $1.2 million, was approved this morning by the board of trustees. Nearly all athletic scheduling contracts are completed without outside approval, but any contract involving the exchange of over $1 million must go before the board. The UConn-Clemson game is scheduled to take place Sept. 11, 2021. "

Last edited:
UCONN really needs to take these games yearly in order to afford what it will cost to put together a program that the ACC will eventually want when the TV contracts are up in a few years and there is a new shift in power 5 conferences. I just don't see how the AAC will become a 'power' conference no matter how much they want to pay to promote it as one. The ACC still likes what UCONN brings to the table and I was told that there are still talks that eventually could lead UCONN there, but they have a ton of work to do. It will all be about how much support UCONN will get over the next few years from the fans. No power conference will want a football team that attracts fewer than 35k a game and that's the reality.

Even BC in fine with UCONN going forward if they can get their act together on the filed and in the stands. Praying they can.

Linked story from the Uconn Blog: [URL='https://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/7/6/15930832/uconn-remains-highest-revenue-athletic-department-outside-of-power-five']UConn remains highest-revenue AD outside of Power Five[/URL]
" UConn is ranked 46th in revenue, first in the non-Power Five realm, and is ahead of seven of the 51 public Power Five schools. "

46 Connecticut..... AAC....... $79,229,275
47 Purdue............... Big Ten... $78,699,976
48 Iowa State......... Big 12..... $78,355,500
49 Kansas State... ..Big 12.... $77,936,664
50 Colorado............ Pac-12....$77,276,889
51 Georgia Tech..... ACC .......$76,409,293
52 Oregon State..... Pac-12... $72,731,247
55 Washington St... Pac-12... $58,753,266

Last edited:
This number will go down next year without the exit fees they were receiving correct? I really think the future of the department will be on Edsall's shoulders going forward. No way UCONN fans will support a less than winning team as history shows. He needs to really get them to a good place and they need to average at least in the high 30's if they plan on getting into an ACC still. They will have one more shot when the TV contracts get renegotiated in a couple of years from the looks of it. Hope they can.

No it won't...it's called a subsidy, marketing contracts, etc....Alot of concern from "Sooner" fans( ?) with 2 or 3 posts about Uconn ???? Edsall has work to do yes.... but Uconn is a premier athletic program, who about 1/3 or more in the so called "P-5" couldn't carry Uconn's or another AAC program like Cincinnati's, jock strap athletically in the last 20 years. Uconn also played at 97% FB capacity in the BE. But the mismanagement of the old Big East by those Providence College shills created the situation that knocked out some BCS programs from their rightful spot in the game. Uconn has always run their AD at the highest level, even though they had a couple of AD's that are gone who made terrible hires.

All I know is those bottom feeding free loaders in the so-called P-5 who never won a thing and who are playing for a pay check....either because of the CR politics or because they were grandfathered in....should be happy they collect a nice TV allowance despite them not pulling their weight. If I was a fan of one of those conferences I'd be more worried about them. But thanks for the interest and concern about old news.......and here's an opinion of someone who might matter:

UConn football is a power-conference team, in eyes of the Big Ten

Last edited:
Why such a rude response? Makes the fanbase of UCONN not look so hot. I could easily come back with a snarky reply I guess and talk about OU's sports dominance, but I won't. I won't bother addressing the bottom feeders either. Lot's of bitterness on your part and I don't blame you. UCONN fans should be upset, but not at anyone else, but UCONN and it's administration. Perkins warned them years ago what was about to happen and they wouldn't listen to him. Too much to go into, but I know what I'm talking about, I promise you.

BTW, I used to post over here years ago and have been bored over during the dead period, so I thought I'd sneak over here to check out what's going on with the Huskies in recruiting.

I grew up in Newington and was very active in sports and got to know many folks. I started really following UCONN in 69 when I won a transistor radio and listened to games with it under my pillow so my parents wouldn't know I was listening to basketball instead of doing sleeping etc... We used to pile in my friend's car to drive out to the UCONN games in Storr's when we didn't have Pop Warner Football games and the HS wasn't playing. LOVED those experiences. The RI Rams I believe was my first game, but not totally sure.

After HS, I attended the Univ of OK for NROTC (retired as a Commander in the Naval Reserver and spent nearly 10 years active duty). I worked for Dave Bliss (don't go there please) and Billy Tubbs (greatest guy) while there. I became friendly with many of the athletes at school and am still in touch with a few.

I will always pull for OU (other than women's bball) vs UCONN. I was friendly with Stacy Hansmeyer before she came to UCONN and my ex and I had her over the house for Sunday dinner on occasion. I'm still in touch with her and see her on occasion when I go to Norman yearly for games.

UCONN is my second favorite team and I'd never root against them. I will root FOR OU when we play UCONN, but I never wish bad things on another team that I love. I support most of the sports at UCONN and even brought my friends kid in who was a very good soccer player many years ago. He chose Seton Hall, but I gave it a good effort. Even this year I was hoping that my friends kid would look at UCONN (he's a strong punter nationally), but he's more into the Ivy's and some smaller schools.

I can go on, but no need to. I will be over here posting more possibly and I really hope that I don't encounter your attitude going forth. I pray like any Husky fan, that UCONN ends up in a Power 5 as they must to survive. That stupid lawsuit they 'won' when BC left screwed them each time the ACC was brought up. Now that it's water under the bridge and we have BC's support, I hope they can put something together going forward.

No more judging a book by it's cover please (one that I'm very proud of btw).

Because..... the issues you bring up have been discussed ad nauseam on this board 10 times over. Any Uconn fan over 25 years old knows what Uconn needs to do and what it is up against after CR, so it's a 3 or 4 year old discussion minimum. Luckily David Benedict knows what the issues are even though some are under Uconn's control and some aren't. Other than that your not adding anything enlighting to an old conversation. I actually thought I would post 2 pieces of useful information that doesn't exactly fit the "Sooner" narrative that is being pushed. One as soon as I posted it .....you seemed like you were in a big hurry to discredit.
But like I said I'm glad your concerned, message board conversation is cheap. I try to add useful stuff to the FB board like I put in this thread .....and I'd rather not
feed the trolls (which you are telling me you aren't), so have a good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctsooner
Basically brand new over here as I haven't posted on this board in many years, so I don't have the narrative.

I'm coming from a position of wanting UCONN in a Power 5 as soon as it can possibly happen and I pray that it does. That's as a fan and taxpayer.

I may not be adding as you say, but I look at it differently. You are one of the few posters on the free board. Was hoping to get conversation going, but I can appreciate that it's an old topic and I'm sure it's been discussed. Not a Troll and didn't mean to upset anyone. Sorry.

Reactions: the Blades
Welcome back....Yeah..... it's been a little slow around here since the other Uconn crew left around 2004 .. I just try to add some info that would be helpful for Uconn FB fans........ I know more drama is probably better for web traffic, but I'm not into the back and forths.....especially on this FB board because it's usually just drive-by posters. Besides there's that other site that I won't mention for plenty of that...... for those who want to join in...

Last edited:
Reactions: ctsooner
As I said, I get it. Truly do. I can't really post on public OU boards, because of who I know, so I thought it would be fun to do more with UCONN than just read the news sites etc... I'm hoping Benedict can get the job done. I really felt a buddy of mine would get the job, but he ended up a runner up and is the new AD at Central Mich.

Does anyone know how Benedict is doing IRT donors? That was what got UCONN going (Perkins) as we know. Again, I don't ever see anything in the Courant about incoming donor dollars.

Here's a little info on fundraising....the school is also adding what they call a FIT charge ( that had been delayed) on our tickets this year " that will allow the University to improve its athletic facilities to sustain their sports’ competitiveness while avoiding the use of tuition or state dollars for the projects "
And we all have a new point system for our donations. ....The major projects are a new soccer stadium ( with a lead gift of $8 million from a donor, another Newington native ), new baseball and softball facilities. Uconn also has a plan for an on campus upgrade of the Hockey facility, but has been an attendance leader in Hockey East playing at the XL Center since they upgraded to a scholarship program in the best conference in the country in 2014-15. So that project is on "ice" for now.

UConn to Pursue New Funding Strategy for Athletic Facilities Upgrades

UConn Foundation Raises $78 Million in FY 2015

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew about the upgrades and the new roof on Gampel. My daughter is the capt of the national champion cheer squad at U of New Hampshire so I always get to at least that game. Great bunch of kids and they really like what the UCONN program is doing. I know that once she graduates this year, I'll be going to many more hockey games. Hockey East is sick good. My wife is from Madison, WI and has an affinity for B1G hockey, but overall we are spoiled by being in the conference.

I thought they always had a point system for tickets. I know that when my wife went to buy seasons tickets for women's bball, that she couldn't get the seats she wanted because of points. I don't fully know as I'm not involved at all in those decisions.

As I said, I know that UCONN and the ACC are in regular contact. I heard, but not from as reliable a source that they are also talking with the B1G as are OU and Texas. They really want the last two because the networks tell them they need a marquis name in the Western Conference. To them though, it's mostly about AAU status. As much as football drives this bus and it surely does, the Presidents are the ones who make the final call.

The saving grace for UCONN is going to be basketball, since the ACC school presidents still have a basketball mentality. That's why it's so important for the football team to get up to speed as Cincy, Houston and the FL schools are doing. Benedict is being watched by these conference's to see if he can lead UCONN to where Louisville was when the Big 12 passed on them. One huge mistake by the Big 12 (among so many others).

UCONN seems to have the full support of all the former Big East schools, all the true basketball schools as well as BC finally. That's the key component I think. Even ND has put in good words for UCONN. Unlike the past when folks felt UCONN's football program would become good once they got into the Power 5, the ACC wants to see them do 'more with less'. No one expects the teams who have never been very good to become even good. They do however want to see attendances averaging over 40k a game and to see donors step up as well for program upgrades.

Looks like they are starting to get the donors stepping up (who was it from Newington? That's where I grew up and went to HS). I expect to see crowds regularly over 32k this year with the new marketing and with Edsall back. That honeymoon will be over next year however and that's the key year with the contracts coming up in a couple of years.

As you said the balls in the conferences court and not UCONN's. We will find out in a few months if they are on track for what they need to do in order to put themselves in the best position to be picked up going forward since not one person I speak with feel that there will be a Power 6 no matter how much the AAC wants to promote itself. Would also be a blast to see UCONN Football win a lot.

The donor is in the links I gave you, he also played soccer for Uconn..... it's a new point system they are using now which benefit new donors more, because they're trying to raise more funds from new people. As far as all these other CR things, I wont speak on them because I've discussed all the angles way to many times since even back to 2004/05, when the best attendance draws for Uconn in FB ......BC, VA Tech and Miami booked out of the Big East to the ACC, just as Uconn was in the middle of a $150-200 million + upgrade to join their conference partners in FB. And if the ACC didn't poach the BE it would have been them who weren't holding up their BCS performance requirements as a conference... But it is what it is and Uconn has to deal with some things in their control & some that aren't ....like I said...

But if you really want to go over all your views here's a link for the Uconn Conference Realignment Board......I'm sure you'll get a few takers, new posters and some who will be happy to write a book on this stuff ....but I can't do this again.

Also have to add, I like the way Delany's trending with B1G Hockey, even if its a new conference that didn't exist a few years ago, now all they need is a few more teams to go beyond the 7 they have now by adding Notre Dame this year...

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I had no idea Tony was the donor. He graduated with my brother from NHS and played soccer with my neighbors and good friends. Very cool.

UConn Extends Nike Sponsorship Through 2022-23
"The new extension of the UConn-Nike relationship sees an increase in Nike’s commitment to the school in terms of the retail value of the annual product allotment. The total value of the contract to the University from 2017-23 in combined product and cash is $32.45 million."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT