ADVERTISEMENT

UConn v Cuse

Afghusky15

Jun 13, 2016
Pumped for this game! This should be a home game for UConn. Went last year and 2/3 of the crowd were cheering for the right team.

Hopefully we will have a similar if not better turnout. Crowds at MSG are generally very into the game and loud when it comes to cheering on the huskies.

After winning our first 4 games and then competing with MichST the second best team in the country IMO for a 3/4 of a game, to then being blown out by Arkansas and squeaking by Columbia and Monmouth we still don’t know too much about this team.

What we do know is that there are a ton of new pieces and since Alterique injury we have struggled on defense. We also know that we are off to a much better start to the season then last year.

The game against Cuse will tell us a lot more about UConn and where they currently stand.

I think UConn wins this with bigs games from Larrier, Mamadou and of course Jalen.

Pumped for this game! This should be a home game for UConn. Went last year and 2/3 of the crowd were cheering for the right team.

Hopefully we will have a similar if not better turnout. Crowds at MSG are generally very into the game and loud when it comes to cheering on the huskies.

After winning our first 4 games and then competing with MichST the second best team in the country IMO for a 3/4 of a game, to then being blown out by Arkansas and squeaking by Columbia and Monmouth we still don’t know too much about this team.

What we do know is that there are a ton of new pieces and since Alterique injury we have struggled on defense. We also know that we are off to a much better start to the season then last year.

The game against Cuse will tell us a lot more about UConn and where they currently stand.

I think UConn wins this with bigs games from Larrier, Mamadou and of course Jalen.

If you think we win this game than cuse must really stink.

It’s not a vintage Syracuse team. They are down to 8 scholarship players and lost by 16 to Kansas. I don’t think a win over Syracuse would mean much RPI wise as they may not be an NCAA tourney team. However it’s a bad matchup for UConn. To attack the zone you need outside shooters or a good passing big who is a shooting threat in the middle of the zone. UConn has neither.

It’s not a vintage Syracuse team. They are down to 8 scholarship players and lost by 16 to Kansas. I don’t think a win over Syracuse would mean much RPI wise as they may not be an NCAA tourney team. However it’s a bad matchup for UConn. To attack the zone you need outside shooters or a good passing big who is a shooting threat in the middle of the zone. UConn has neither.

I think Terry can be a focal point in attacking zone. He can catch it at the free throw line and will get plenty of good looks. Hopefully he makes smart decisions with the ball.

I also think Jalen will be effective against the zone. When Jalen drives he often pulls up a few feet away from the rim to shoot or take a floater. That’s the exact spot where there is a gap in the zone.

I expect Jalen & Terry to have big games.

I know it's early but Cuse has #28 (RPI Breakdown) according to CBS. .....will KO still try playing his small ball vs. this Cuse rotation ? At least Cuse doesn't seem to have much beef ..

Starters................Pos......HT/WT...........REB/Asst/PTS
Tyus Battle .............G.......6-6/205.........2.4 /1.4/ 20.0
Frank Howard.........G.......6-5/205..........3.6 /6.1/ 15.6
Paschal Chukwu.....C.......7-2/228..........5.9 /0.1/ 5.7
Oshae Brissett........F........6-8/210..........9.7 /0.7/12.3
Matthew Moyer........F........6-8/215.........4.0/ 0.7/ 2.4

Dolezaj, Marek..........F........6-9/180.........6.6/1.7/5.0
Bourama Sidibe........F........6-10/205..... 4.6/0.3/5.1
Geno Thorpe.............G........6-3/184........0.8/1.0/6.0

Reactions: andersonfro
It’s definitely not a vintage Cuse team and there will be limited RPI juice from a win when all is said and done. I am surprised they are ranked that high right now. Obviously a win will not hurt but it’s not like it will be a tournament saver if UConn is on that feared bubble.

AfgHusky, Larrier got good looks in the middle last night and did not make any. He has been low % on makeable shots all year. Maybe he is due to break out but he has really been nothing special since the opener against Colgate.

I would actually prefer Jalen can some 3s than be taking Eurostep drives through that zone. Last night he was picked a few times in traffic and although he does like to shoot that floater you mentioned, SU has longer and more athletic defenders and that shot isn’t as easy to float up there.

We will see what happens but a likely strategy is Larrier in the middle of the zone and SU will try and get the ball out of his hands meaning Larrier will need to do better than his 4 assists and 15 TOs on the year. They will try to force him to pass or put it on the deck since he has not been adept at either. In the past UConn staffed the middle of the zone with bigs who could shoot and also pass out to the wings (remember Tyler Olander in 2011) and the only guy who fits that description on the UConn roster isn’t Larrier and his 0.5 assists per game but Cobb, who can pass and handle but can’t shoot. Larrier has to decide if he is just another Johnnie Selvie or not. He definitely isn’t as tough as Selvie and saying he is a better passer is kind of a joke at this point.

Last edited:

Oz saying Alterique may play on Tuesday, would be big for the game and rest of the season if he has recovered.

Just because he wants to play does not mean all is well. That shoulder has been effecting his play and playing is not going to make it better.

I know it's early but Cuse has #28 (RPI Breakdown) according to CBS. .....will KO still try playing his small ball vs. this Cuse rotation ? At least Cuse doesn't seem to have much beef ..

Starters................Pos......HT/WT...........REB/Asst/PTS
Tyus Battle .............G.......6-6/205.........2.4 /1.4/ 20.0
Frank Howard.........G.......6-5/205..........3.6 /6.1/ 15.6
Paschal Chukwu.....C.......7-2/228..........5.9 /0.1/ 5.7
Oshae Brissett........F........6-8/210..........9.7 /0.7/12.3
Matthew Moyer........F........6-8/215.........4.0/ 0.7/ 2.4

Dolezaj, Marek..........F........6-9/180.........6.6/1.7/5.0
Bourama Sidibe........F........6-10/205..... 4.6/0.3/5.1
Geno Thorpe.............G........6-3/184........0.8/1.0/6.0
Gonna be tough to play small ball here Blades. Not only are they long, but the 2 games i saw them play they hit the boards hard. Not that our offensive rebounding is very strong, but O rebounding against a zone can be tricky. Very doable, but if we're going to hoist up 20-25 3's, we had better be active in the paint. I agree with Afg that if we can find Larrier at the elbows or foul line, good things could happen. Also need to keep him away from any shots outside of 15'. He has not shown anything more than mid to high 30% shooting in college. Guessing most of his points came from mid range and near the hoop in HS. He looks like he's close to 6'9" (maybe it's because he's so damn skinny) with a long reach so i know he could do well around the hoop if he really wanted to...despite his beanstalk frame. He athletic and he does rebound. Just needs to understand his strengths & what would help the team the most...and that's also what KO should be selling or teaching him. If he can be more effective from mid range (ala Rip) 1st, then he can continue to move outside (and gain some f n weight). Anyway, i rambling on but i think we have the tools to do well against Cuse. The question is, will we have the appropriate game plan and will everyone buy in...we shall see soon enough.

They don't go deep but they're still long, the middle of that zone is a trap, they swarm that spot quickly & recover well, and has been mentioned they hit the boards hard.
They are built for lulling uconn into launching 3s, the Huskies will have to shoot out of their minds to win this game. Ollie goes small ball because he has no choice after bigs get into foul trouble. I agree that this game does little to help, but if could restore some confidence with a win. I'm expecting a double digit loss.

the middle of that zone is a trap, they swarm that spot quickly & recover well, and has been mentioned they hit the boards hard.

This is what a few prior posters are forgetting. They think Larrier will have clean looks in the middle of the zone. He will be swarmed quickly and have to make a quick decision to shoot, put the ball on the floor or pass the ball out. Although seemingly capable his shooting % has not been good. As far as dribbling Larrier has had an avalanche of TOs and 4 assists on the year (0.5 a game). So while I agree with all that Larrier is a key player in this game, the length of SU and the way they play zone that other teams do not, is a concern. For UConn to win Larrier will need to play better basketball and make good decisions.

Last year when UConn beat SU, UConn played probably their best 8 minute stretch of defense all year at the end of the game and turned SU over and induced bad shots. UConn was down 7-8 points and in those last 8 minutes Syracuse couldn't make any shots, took bad shots and turned the ball over. Their guard play was atrocious and after the game Boeheim said so, his comment was "we did not get good play from the point guard position." But all their perimeter people went cold later in the game. I don't think this year's team shoots all that well either.

Last edited:
I understand he will typically not have clean looks. What i also understand is if he is able to think & react quickly, make some nice passes either down low or to the opposite wing for some nice looks, that will free him up a bit to take those shots. Without AG, who it sounds like now that he's out for the season and the original surgery maybe wasn't done as well as it could have, we're not going to be able to attach the seams of the zone. So, other than going lights out from 3 like Anderson said which is a low probability, I'd love another option. It's possible if Cobb plays he can be the pivot guy since he's a decent passer for a big, but who the hell knows. Even JC coached teams struggled v zones, and w/o a long ranger on the roster, could get ugly. I'm gonna take the high road and say it's gonna be a good game just cuz it's a big rivalry game and anything can happen. But it's gonna be tough.

They don't go deep but they're still long, the middle of that zone is a trap, they swarm that spot quickly & recover well, and has been mentioned they hit the boards hard.
They are built for lulling uconn into launching 3s, the Huskies will have to shoot out of their minds to win this game. Ollie goes small ball because he has no choice after bigs get into foul trouble. I agree that this game does little to help, but if could restore some confidence with a win. I'm expecting a double digit loss.
Spot on with the confidence angle. man, they need something in that area. Can't feel good about these close games with below average teams. Need a gameplan more than ever Tues night. Will be get a good one? Don't answer that - i know your reply ;)

Let me confuse you with my optimism regarding the offensive plan, can't have our relationship getting stale, next thing you know you'll be going to someone else for your anti-kevin hysteria.

It's a 2-3 zone, even Kevin knows what to do with that. I'm more curious to know if Cuse is going to give up the entry pass to the bottom of the zone to exploit our bigs, or if they're going to be content with us shooting 3s all night, because I believe they'll be able to shut off the middle & bottom any time they want. I think from an offense standpoint this game will talk more about preparation and adaptability.

Not that i dont expect scouting weaknesses, i just think theyll present themselves on the defensive side of the ball because you know it'll give up a huge night to some random player.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Cuse game plan will be to shut off middle of zone and invite UConn to shoot 3s. If UConn makes a modest % (35 or better), and plays good D, they can win the game. Chukwu is a 7’2” shot blocker who will roam inside and if anything gets into a crease it will be hard to get off clean shots against him.

The offense has to come from 3s, a few buckets from middle of the zone, and whatever transition offense UConn can generate from bad shots or TOs by Cuse.

Let me confuse you with my optimism regarding the offensive plan, can't have our relationship getting stale, next thing you know you'll be going to someone else for your anti-kevin hysteria.

It's a 2-3 zone, even Kevin knows what to do with that. I'm more curious to know if Cuse is going to give up the entry pass to the bottom of the zone to exploit our bigs, or if they're going to be content with us shooting 3s all night, because I believe they'll be able to shut off the middle & bottom any time they want. I think from an offense standpoint this game will talk more about preparation and adaptability.

Not that i dont expect scouting weaknesses, i just think theyll present themselves on the defensive side of the ball because you know it'll give up a huge night to some random player.
haha. Appreciate the state of helter skelter. Looking at our overall 3 point shooting, add in the fact that AG will have a DNP, i guess i would think they would say go ahead & take the long range bombs. With that said, you've got me on my heels as i'm now thinking about the enjoyment on Cuse HCJB ugly face making a mockery of our bigs. My boy at work says Cobb is ready to break out. Where i dont know about that, i think they have the ability to pass but i say that with the utmost trepidation. so many things can go wrong here and may set the stage for more aac teams zoning it up. Still feeling like someone will step up...have to, right? (end with another rhetorical)

If Cobb were to breakout then Cuse would be the perfect time, if he could move the ball and get behind the zone, and if CV had a big game...that would loosen up the middle for TL.

Could happen, right? I do enjoy watching Syracuse lose, particularly in N.Y.

I cringed every game time Larrier took a 12 - 15 foot shot against Monmouth. If the game plan on offense revolves around him breaking the zone, this could be a long game. I’m hoping CV gets hot from outside.

I’m hoping CV gets hot from outside.

The way a zone works is that if someone gets hot they will overload on his side leaving a crease in the middle of the zone. So if your wished-for scenario actually happens, and someone gets hot (like Vital), Cuse will overload on that side and leave a crease, and then you are challenged to get a guy in the crease to keep the zone honest. Plan A against a zone is always to have guys who can drain 3s, but plan B is to have a guy who can get into the middle of a zone and do damage. Plan C does not really exist for UConn because there are no credible low post scorers, although a lob pass to Larrier behind the zone for dunk/layup can be considered a Plan C.

Reactions: UconNell
" Ollie noted the best way to beat the Orange’s zone is by getting defensive stops and getting out in transition, beating the zone down the floor. When the Huskies find themselves in a halfcourt offense, the key is passing the ball, limiting their ball-handling and finding openings in the zone. “It’s gonna be a little harder, but we’ve got some things up our sleeve to get in those cracks,” said Ollie. Having a four-man at the foul line who can distribute will help. “Terry (Larrier), Eric Cobb can fill that role, Jalen (Adams),” Ollie added. “I can’t give all my secrets.”

FULL READ:

Jay Williams noted Syracuse is shooting 27% as a team from 3 point land- actually a lot worse than what UConn is shooting. So will UConn zone Cuse as much as they zone us? This is a battle of two of the worst 3 point shooting high major teams in college basketball. Who will make more 3s?

'Find a way to find offensive rhythm'? Pray Ollie is ejected soon?

The team UConn has put on the floor to start the game can’t rebound with Cuse. Cobb is out there now.
Cobb should have gone in for one of the guards >>>SMH...can't this dunce see he's losing the game because of this small ball line-up underneath and gaining nothing
on offense, so far ??

Cobb should have gone in for one of the guards >>>SMH...can't this dunce see he's losing the game because of this small ball line-up underneath and gaining nothing
on offense, so far ??
absolutely. my 15 yo son just said the same thing.

Cobb has looked good and made some nice passes and handles but Polley doesn’t look ready to be playing in a game like this.

Polly is our next transfer, Kevin gets in his butt all the time meanwhile jalen sleepwalk through games and Anderson can't even play at this level

Anderson can play 15 minutes of defense and bring energy. But I agree when he plays 35 min, you see the warts.

Vital is bi polar this year. Tonight is the crappy gunning brick layer version.

We've gone from 6-9 guys like Stanley Robinson at the 3 to 6-2 Vital and KO thinks this will work vs a team with a bunch of 6-8 SF's ...SMH !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT