ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Transition To Big East

Taking a pay cut can't be an easy thing to do. I have never had to take a pay cut, even though my income fluctuates from year to year because I get salary and bonuses. But as far as cutting someone's base pay, I wonder what impact that has. For someone as highly compensated as Benedict, maybe not much, unless he indulges some expensive hobbies like hunting in Africa or the like. Expensive hobbies would be the first thing a pay cut would hit.

Is this more of the back to the Big East move or the Dan Hurley effect ?..... I'd say it's probably a lot to do with both....:D / :D
Update:

"Men's basketball has received the biggest boost. Numbers jumped from 325 sold or renewed season tickets at Gampel Pavilion in 2019 to 2,211 so far this year while climbing from 552 to 4,217 at the XL Center in Hartford. Women's basketball season ticket sales also are higher than last year at both arenas. Those totals are even more impressive when factoring the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. "

Last edited:
I just have a bad feeling that this HUGE year for UConn will be a no-go with Covid. What a shame it would be and to not be able to go to the games at MSG and Gampel.

No doubt Dom....the world's a changin' and who knows how this plays out, but in the mean time, at least an old constant is back in place:

"One of seven original members of the BIG EAST, Connecticut competed as a BIG EAST school for the first 34 years of the Conference's existence, beginning in 1979-80 and continuing through the 2012-13..........As one of the Conference's founding members, UConn enjoyed significant athletics successes over more than three decades of BIG EAST competition, including 80 conference championship titles across all sports."

Link- Huskies Return Home to the BIG EAST - UConn Athletics

Last edited:
I just have a bad feeling that this HUGE year for UConn will be a no-go with Covid. What a shame it would be and to not be able to go to the games at MSG and Gampel.

I share your bad feeling. I just had a Covid Test done this past Saturday at Yale, negative, but right now it's a scary time for all college and pro sports. I would say basketball is as risky a sport as there is because of the intimate physical contact and exchange of bodily fluids (sweat) that routinely happens in the game.

And it would be a shame as UConn appears poised to have a BIG season and return to the national conversation.

I am trying to understand what caused so many schools including UConn to add all these puff nonrevenue sports..

I guess even with P-5 money and a $27.7 billion endowment, it can't last forever:
(P.S. where's the Stanford mismanagement hit piece from that dickhead lowlife SI writer, Pat Forde ? )

Last edited:
And look at the sports they cut- men and women's fencing, squash, rowing and sailing. Most schools do not even offer these so called sports. None of these sports bring in anything. However I was surprised they cut men's volleyball and wrestling and field hockey. These are much more legitimate college varsity sports and I feel sorry for the men's volleyball players and wrestlers and the field hockey girls. They probably didn't see this coming, whereas the kids in the other sports had to expect it.

I share your bad feeling. I just had a Covid Test done this past Saturday at Yale, negative, but right now it's a scary time for all college and pro sports. I would say basketball is as risky a sport as there is because of the intimate physical contact and exchange of bodily fluids (sweat) that routinely happens in the game.
And it would be a shame as UConn appears poised to have a BIG season and return to the national conversation.

True...things seem to be heading in a bad direction in the last few days between the Ivy saying no sports until at least Jan 1st and the B1G already cutting down FB to conference games only......But I'd guess this is just the beginning and who knows if there will be any FB this fall.......

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith on college football in the fall: "We might not play."

Forbes- Ivy League Cancels Fall Sports, Spring Football Hasn’t Been Ruled Out

Last edited:
I wonder if everyone gets carryover eligibility if sports season are cancelled? Does a guy who is a sophomore in terms of eligibility who had his sophomore season cancelled get another year of eligibility, or is it deemed to be used up?

True...things seem to be heading in a bad direction in the last few days between the Ivy saying no sports until at least Jan 1st and the B1G already cutting down FB to conference games only......But I'd guess this is just the beginning and who knows if there will be any FB this fall.......

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith on college football in the fall: "We might not play."

Forbes- Ivy League Cancels Fall Sports, Spring Football Hasn’t Been Ruled Out

Borges (long story) does a 90's, with Lew Perkins as AD to the current situation ( finally cutting some sports and good riddance to PP and Diaco), rewind/recap. “We operated like we had an unlimited amount of income,” Auriemma noted. “We operated like we were one of those (Power Five) schools.”......Perkins, had his flaws .... spending $1,450 on 14 pitchers of orange juice at the Four Seasons Hotel during one Big East tournament in New York."

The one thing I'd still like to see is the UCADF "hidden" money ( mandatory seat "donations" and FIT charges) for FB that is never accounted for in these articles or spread sheets.

Last edited:
Just caught this Uconn- BE historical recap from Fox Sports:

Last edited:
Another effect of the Big East:
Providence athletic director Bob Driscoll. “With UConn coming back into the conference, we’re going to be playing our women’s basketball Big East championships at Mohegan Sun moving forward,” he told the Westerly Sun. The Big East declined to officially confirm it but said it is “in the process of evaluating venues for future Women’s Basketball Tournament sites,” and has “interest in Mohegan Sun Arena.”

Report: Big East Women’s Basketball Tournament moving to Mohegan Sun

P.S. ... from Westerly Sun: Providence College men’s basketball team, options on the table include playing games on-campus at Alumni Hall and Connecticut’s Mohegan Sun Arena in the event that taking the court at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center proves not to be a feasible option for the 2020... (the Dunk probably can’t open it until the new year do to Covid-19 issues)

Well it's been written about and talked about and now:

ADVERTISEMENT