ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-PC game thread

Larrier had an abominably bad game, but he was trying to do too much. Let's hope his basketball IQ is better than what he showed tonight.
That's the fear but he's never showed anything different. He took all kinds of terrible shots (remember these "highlights" ) and made forced plays in the one year he played at VCU. I've never seen a guy who's a career 38%/ 26% 3pt shooter get so much hype before he's done anything that leads to winning. Not that he's an Ajou Ajou Deng just yet. But that's what the media/ coaches do when hyping these guys, then they have to stick with their narrative......

Purvis was a pig at times, but he could play lockdown D and if he stayed within himself in the offense, just taking open looks, he could be a plus player. What's Larrier's game gonna be if he's not a volume shooter with a high % ?...lockdown defender/shot blocker ? haven't seen it...ferocious rebounder ?...nope...playmaker ? At least when Jalen isn't shooting great he can drive to the hole and get fouled like last night (11-12 Ft's).. D up or lead the entire AAC in assists ( and he's won ballgames in the clutch)... I hope TL's not one of these rogue players (Dyson/Purvis or even Omar Calhoun b4 KO benched him) who can shoot you out of games while they put up numbers in the boxscore, but don't make their team or team mates better.

Last edited:
One other positive note, in case anyone is looking for one, were the positive postgame comments of Adams and Vital. Both seem to get it’s a process that will take time even though some posters are calling for rushed results. I also thought the body language of the players was good when they got down by 27. No finger pointing, no yelling at each other for missed defensive assignments. Jalen looked tired at times but he was mentally in the game and none of the emotional outbursts we have seen with him in the past yelling at coaches and teammates.

This is also going to sound funny but I also liked Ollie’s body language. I was not far behind the UConn bench and had a good view of Ollie. At one point in the game Vital missed someone who was wide open at the 3 point line and hoisted a contested shot. As the play was unfolding Ollie, in Mick Cronin-like fashion, began waving his arms wildly as he saw the improper decision being made. You could tell by the way he was flailing that he wanted the ball rotated. I also noticed that KO had very positive and reassuring comments and body language to the players as they came out of the game. One guy seated not far from me- possibly andersonfro- mildly heckled Ollie, yelling, “this is terrible, Kevin.”

Glad he's trying to whip em' into "playing right" before the season starts and coaching like his job is on the line. Because it is. Remember the D2 game last year vs.
UNH or someone who was hitting wide open 3's and it was a 4 point game in the 2nd half while KO sat like a statue ? Well those things carry over into losses vs. Wagner & Northeastern. Donny Marshall said KO told him he was gonna sit in this PC game and observe. Then Donny said that's out the window once the game started........Good... because you can't wait until the AAC Tourney to blast the kids, who you as the HC, let develop bad habits early in the year.

Last edited:
Regarding Larrier, I don’t recall him playing this badly in his limited action last year. But last night was a horror show and I hope he isn’t a rogue talent in the Purvis/Dyson mold. I am hoping he was just anxious but he was forcing action that was not there, playing too fast etc. Sometimes this happens due to rustiness, guys play too fast and try to rush things and that’s mainly what I saw from him. His shot selection and his drive selection need to be much better. Let’s play the games and see what happens. He is explosively athletic and can be a contributor, but really does need to be coached up. Polley actually was more productive than Larrier in less minutes last night, but Polley (and Wilson, if he is eligible) do not have strong bodies, even if they have great skills.

Lol, I wasn't close enough to heckle Ollie and maintain my dignity. I'm happy to know he heard it though.

I didn't watch the game, but Larrier is a concern.

He's a guy you play pick up with or against and you respect his skills but he's usually on the losing team.

Reactions: 12rtackerman12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT