ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn officially starts the quest for a 3-peat

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
"Now, Dan Hurley gets his players for 20 hours per week, not just eight, as he tries to shape and mold this group towards a historic goal.....We'll predict a Nov. 6 starting lineup of Diarra, Ball, McNeeley, Karaban and Johnson. The positional versatility of Stewart and Mahaney will allow them to play just as many minutes as any starter, and Hurley will respect the championship mettle of Diarra and Johnson.."

Last edited:
As I posted elsewhere I was not all that impressed with Mahaney in the August 2 Open practice. But the other guards defended the hell out of him. I was extremely impressed with Isaiah Abraham who didn't play like a freshman either offensively or defensively. He looked ready to contribute and so did Ahmad Nowell. Nowell was a flat out Dawg. I am looking forward to seeing these guys in the Rhode Island game October 14.

What I liked about Mahaney on tape is he seemed to use both hands really well in the mixtapes that I saw. That's what I am hoping to see in games.

Reactions: the Blades
What I liked about Mahaney on tape is he seemed to use both hands really well in the mixtapes that I saw. That's what I am hoping to see in games.
As Borges mentioned Mahaney ( our new Joey C from the WCC ?) would help off the bench at 2 positions We'll see but I do like the Solo Ball ( strictly a 2 ) as the starting shooting guard, mainly because the guard position got alot smaller this year. So it would add strength and athleticism in regards to his defense and rebounding help.......also interesting:

Last edited:
Ball is a lot bigger than Mahaney. That 6'3" listing for Mahaney is questionable. He might be closer to 6'1". I also like the idea of starting Ball and using Mahaney and Nowell as the bench guards.

Zanetto, in his 1st practice Podcast Friday, said he believes we will be seeing a lot of Diarra and Nowell playing together. That remains to be seen, but that is their best defensive backcourt against smaller and quicker backcourts.

"You could make a case that every other starting spot needs to be earned," Hurley said on Tuesday. "And they always have to be earned. But, with so much roster turnover, there's so much for people to compete for. I think you want to see that right now.......I don't really know who's going to start Monday," he continued. "At best, (I know) maybe two or three guys who'd be starting. A lot of it's going to be determined through Sunday."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT