ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Offers 2016 SF Justin Jackson

At 6-7/230lbs with a 7'3" wingspan he looks like a nice piece to slide right into Miller's slot

Last edited:
They need a guy with size that will play tough and if need be to go out there and play like the old big east used to. A fight for every loose ball.

They need a guy with size that will play tough and if need be to go out there and play like the old big east used to. A fight for every loose ball.

That's exactly what they need. Not sure if JJ is a 3 or a 4. He is listed as a 3 and very highly rated. Between Diarra and JJ (possibly) the team could get a much needed toughness upgrade.

Kid is a man, we dont get a lot of those at UCONN. This is a Cinci type player that I have been wanting for some time. A kid who is a little rough and hard nosed. I would love to get this kid.

Reactions: macdonaldky
Looks to me that he has had a growth spurt recently, he runs with a small guys way about him. Elbows tucked in, little odd but what I like is that he shows in the clips that he has a little aggressive inside game which is what should appeal to us all.

Per the other site 01, hoops hype Canada tweeted that we were in the 'pole position' to
Land him.

I do not mean to be an ahole but what type of source is hoops hype Canada.....?

Hoop hype Canada seems like a legit website......focused on Canadian hoopsters. I read a bit about JJ there and he seems like a very good player and possibly UTR. He can play any position 1-4 according to his coach, but at UConn he will only be needed as a 3 and a 4, although if he can handle the rock that is always a bonus as we saw with Hamilton.

Let's hope we can land this guy. With Purvis coming back, we need solid bench players to contribute and add more versatility to our roster.

The Canada thing has me thinking Nike U. at Oregon... seems like they always close on that pipeline:

I think Jackson's a luxury at this point.

1-Adams, Gilbert
2-Purvis, Vital
3-Larrier, Jackson
4-Facey, Diarra/Durham
5-Brimah, Enoch

That's 11 deep if Durham is healthy. I think a 5th year off guard would make sense. Or a banger at PF. But if this kid wants in, you take him with open arms,

I don't think Justin Jackson is a luxury. Diarra might be if JJ commits. However with JJ in the fold I would feel much better about the rebounding/strength issues in the frontcourt. If Enoch can make strides that team could be much stronger. Need to wait and see how it looks, but on paper it looks good so far.

I think Jackson's a luxury at this point.

1-Adams, Gilbert
2-Purvis, Vital
3-Larrier, Jackson
4-Facey, Diarra/Durham
5-Brimah, Enoch

That's 11 deep if Durham is healthy. I think a 5th year off guard would make sense. Or a banger at PF. But if this kid wants in, you take him with open arms,
I hear ya Canolee, but from past experience the only time we ever really go 10 deep is in the early season when we look good against average teams. Give me 8 strong and i'm good. I think JJ would be a huge get, and like u say we take him with open arms. We won't know where VJ fits until he's on board as he may be a year away, but i think Larrier is gonna be strong. With his added muscle he may be playing some stretch 4 i would guess, which leaves either a 3 guard set with RP at the 3, or this is where JJ would step in. So, not sure we are ever that deep. I'm not counting on Durham next year - never a bad thing to sit out a year if you're not at full strength. And, at this point not sure about the other 4's. Facey can certainly rebound, but we cant have both the 4 & 5 not being able to score. My gut is Diarra is gonna be solid for us over 4 years as a workhorse, but he is probably not ready for alot of minutes, at least early on. Just my HO.

Reactions: the Blades
JJ looks like he could stretch the floor from the 4 and that he has potential to his O game. That would be the biggest addition plus he measures out exceptable as a 4 ( above) : Biosteel All-Canadian Game.... 6' 7.5" ....230 lbs... 7' 3" wingspan....Though he's probably not the elite level athlete of Shonn.( not many are).. Diarra seems like a strictly a banger down low at this point.

Kentan put up better REB numbers per 40 min. than D-Ham, but like Shaggy mentioned someone has to replace Miller's reliability as Uconn's only 4/5 threat to create offense. That said it will be a young team next year as TCF's chart shows, with only 2/3 SR's...no JR's... but 3 sophs and 5 FR as it stands.

Last edited:
JJ looks like he could stretch the floor from the 4 and that he has potential to his O game. That would be the biggest addition plus he measures out exceptable as a 4 ( above) : Biosteel All-Canadian Game.... 6' 7.5" ....230 lbs... 7' 3" wingspan....Though he's probably not the elite level athlete of Shonn.( not many are).. Diarra seems like a strictly a banger down low at this point.

Kentan put up better REB numbers per 40 min. than D-Ham, but like Shaggy mentioned someone has to replace Miller's reliability as Uconn's only 4/5 threat to create offense. That said it will be a young team next year as TCF's chart shows, with only 2/3 SR's...no JR's... but 3 sophs and 5 FR as it stands.

Thanks Blades - i stand corrected as i thought i read JJ was around 196 lbs. Guess i'm way off there, so yeah, no doubt he could stretch it from the blocks too.

Young, yes. But i love it. It's funny - when i look at the roster i think this team could be exciting to watch. Then i think... realistically, its exciting to watch a team that has a semblance of O, or plays D like the huskies did during the Dream Season. There have been many years where they just grind it out and win. I love it - And, i love the winning...but let's face it, the excitement is more on the offensive end. im confident they will do well in transition, which is very exciting. Wondering how they're gonna look in 1/2 court sets.They just seemed too predictable last season. I guess that's why the off season gets us fired up again for the next round...

at lunch today i skipped the elevator....

and took the stairs

Reactions: Shaggydog84
If you look at the link I posted from the Oregon media there is a very good photograph of JJ and his body. I go by photographs and not listed weights because photographs don't lie. His photos show a very strong body for an incoming freshman. He is a kid who will not get pushed around the way that Facey and Brimah get pushed around. He will likely do some pushing around. You need kids like this who can push back against the teams like Cincinnati. I think he will be physically ready as a freshman to play major college basketball. And if he received the same coaching in Canada that Kia Nurse did he will be a fundamentally sound player as well. The Toronto area has become a hotbed of talent and good coaching in recent years. The kid who played for Kentucky last year (Murray), Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and Nurse are among the stellar hoopsters recruited from the area. The men recruited Denham Brown from this area about 12-13 years ago.

I read that Steve Nash has become involved in coaching up and coming Canadian hoopsters and you can have no more fundamentally sound guy behind the scenes coaching these guys up.

Last edited:
If you look at the link I posted from the Oregon media there is a very good photograph of JJ and his body. I go by photographs and not listed weights because photographs don't lie. His photos show a very strong body for an incoming freshman..

The Draft Express numbers aren't listed weights or from photographs.. they are pre-draft weigh-in & measurements that were taken B4 the All Canada and Hoop Summit games in 2015 & 2016 ............Probably doesn't matter anyway.... Canadian recruits and that Oregon asst in the article you linked above ^^^ ..seem to be tethered at the hip lately.

Shaggy, I think my fellow Norwalker Steve E will be a legit post scorer this season. He's a monster, can go to either shoulder/hand with that baby hook and was known as a mid range jump shooter during his Norwalk high days. The question is, will he become a dramatically better defender which will allow him the minutes to stay on the floor and become an offensive weapon? This year, it was a layup or a foul and sometimes both on the defensive end.

I also expect Adams to take a major jump and make this his team. We saw flashes late in the year, he just needs to improve his perimeter game, reduce the mental mistakes and play more consistently. Something you'd expect from a second year player.

And Gilbert as well as another frosh are going to have to be ready to play day one if we are going to win the conference again and go a little further in the tourney. But I'm excited to see the development of these young players/coaching staff.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Shaggy, I think my fellow Norwalker Steve E will be a legit post scorer this season. He's a monster, can go to either shoulder/hand with that baby hook and was known as a mid range jump shooter during his Norwalk high days. The question is, will he become a dramatically better defender which will allow him the minutes to stay on the floor and become an offensive weapon? This year, it was a layup or a foul and sometimes both on the defensive end.

I also expect Adams to take a major jump and make this his team. We saw flashes late in the year, he just needs to improve his perimeter game, reduce the mental mistakes and play more consistently. Something you'd expect from a second year player.

And Gilbert as well as another frosh are going to have to be ready to play day one if we are going to win the conference again and go a little further in the tourney. But I'm excited to see the development of these young players/coaching staff.
Really looking forward to SE this coming season. I did not see him play at NHS or in prep school but what little i saw last year, i have no doubt you are correct. His D will keep him in the games, his O can take us to another level...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT