ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn notebook

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
from the Courant:
UConn Men's Notebook: Salary For Assistants, Benedict Discusses Recruiting

...also mentions next year match-ups with Arizona (@ the XL), Nova and Cuse( with 3 games total @ MSG) Plus the AD's take on future OOC scheduling, which I thought should've been done all along.... to keep those Uconn to "New" BE people happy (many who probably don't even come to the games or buy season tix).

The scheduling concept already has one guy with an opinion...WGAF !....( who never bought a ticket to a Uconn game) tweeting his pleasure... :

Last edited:
Benedict ........ broke down the men’s basketball coaching search and the traits he saw in Hurley that made him an ideal fit (9:00); identified some scheduling targets for the UConn men (12:00); weighed in on the “good for the game” argument with regards to the UConn women (18:30); gave his impressions of Geno Auriemma’s coaching prowess (20:00); assessed the progress Randy Edsall has made in the ongoing quest to revive the football program (25:00); discussed the school’s decision to switch radio partners (28:00); evaluated his relationship with the fan base in the age of social media (30:00); and expressed why obtaining entry into a Power 5 conference isn’t an end-all, be-all (35:00).

While he doesn't throw KO under the bus, that statement is not exactly an enthusiastic rhetorical flourish of support for the KO coaching legacy.

That article interestingly discussed Hurley’s comments on the new S&C coach, who has a football training background which they obviously feel will assist the players in developing their bodies. This was a much discussed on this board issue during KO’s tenure: the big guys looking too lean, getting into constant foul trouble, and getting horsed on the boards by inferior teams. I can recall one game that stands out in my mind: a game at Tulane a few years ago, against a terrible Tulane team, when Brimah got into deep foul trouble and then Facey came in to play center and fouled out in 8 minutes against talentless Tulane bangers - who were just big strong bodies/goons. This seemed to happen way too often to UConn. The numbers didn’t lie, and if you look at the rebounding stats of the big men the last 4 years, they are an embarrassment.

I hope Alosi’s methods work. Sidney Wilson seems like a good project for him to work on.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Like his points about obsessing about your players and team ( regarding transfers), because kids will leave you in a second. (Earth to KO, SMH)

I guess Sal Alosi really has the guys hittin' it in the weight room...Cobb doesn't look like the same guy ! ( in the classroom too )

DjrWIKCU0AAMDoM.jpg

Borges story :

"Cobb was out for what wound up being a four-game stretch in November due to a high ankle sprain. At 6-foot-9 and tipping the scales around 280 pounds, he knew the reason..............The numbers speak for themselves: at 246 pounds and 12 percent body fat, the senior forward is down 20 pounds and 2-percent, respectively, just since May."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT