ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn NBA stuff

In the "not so" NBA stuff.. but updates on some other former Huskies:

Last edited:
Did anyone notice that tonight Josh Boone had 15 points and 9 boards, starting for Melbourne United in a 1 point loss to an Oklahoma City Thunder squad that started Russell Westbrook, Paul George and Carmelo Anthony? Nice to see that Boonie is still balling. Would have been nice if Melbourne had beaten OKC on their own court.

He seems to have been trying to sign a free agent contract for quite some time now with not much interest. I think teams are scared regarding his durability. Emeka has been somewhat injury prone going back to his UConn days. I can still remember the year UConn beat G Tech for the championship in a game dominated by Emeka. That same year G Tech had beaten UConn badly in an early season game during which Emeka was having back spasms and was getting treated on the side of the court during the game, by whomever was the trainer at the time. I think he in the last few years had a serious neck injury. Now in his mid 30s, it's tough to ask an NBA to give a look even at the veteran minimum when they can look at a younger guy. Who might give them just as much and be as cheap or cheaper.

Last night in a win over the Hawks, Kemba Walker had 26 points, 9 assists, Jeremy Lamb had 15 points and the two players led the Hornets in minutes played with 38 each in the 109-91 victory.

Last night in a win over the Hawks, Kemba Walker had 26 points, 9 assists, Jeremy Lamb had 15 points and the two players led the Hornets in minutes played with 38 each in the 109-91 victory.
Yeah I noticed Charlotte is going with an all-Uconn starting backcourt.

Another 8 minute stint last night for Napier, with McCollum and Lillard playing 39 and 38 minutes. With both of those guys healthy, productive and playing big minutes, the only way Bazz will get more than 8-10 minutes a game is for one of those guys to get hurt. You hate to root for anyone to get hurt, but unless that happens, Napier is simply stuck on the bench, and that is the way it's going to be.

Another 8 minute stint last night for Napier, with McCollum and Lillard playing 39 and 38 minutes. With both of those guys healthy, productive and playing big minutes, the only way Bazz will get more than 8-10 minutes a game is for one of those guys to get hurt. You hate to root for anyone to get hurt, but unless that happens, Napier is simply stuck on the bench, and that is the way it's going to be.

True..... and he's getting paid alot of guaranteed money (over $6 Mil so far) for those 8-10 minutes a game: Shabazz Napier Contract

Blades it’s a lot of money per minute he is getting but I guarantee you Shabazz would rather be playing more minutes and getting less money per minute. But I don’t see him getting the chance unless one of those guys gets hurt.

I'm sure Bazz could get alot more PT playing overseas, but trust me he won't be doing that until those guaranteed millions ( $2.3 Mil, this year alone) run out. Especially when most of the ballers who go to Europe or where ever are lucky to make his one year salary in 10 years...So I don't agree with your statement in the least..

Last edited:
Blades,

You misinterpreted what I said. I meant that Bazz would like to play more minutes and get less money per minute playing for Portland. I never said anything about him playing elsewhere. If McLillard gets hurt that will happen, otherwise it won't.

Reactions: the Blades
Blades,

You misinterpreted what I said. I meant that Bazz would like to play more minutes and get less money per minute playing for Portland. I never said anything about him playing elsewhere. If McLillard gets hurt that will happen, otherwise it won't.
Check that, I hear ya ...

G League Stuff:
Former Husky Rodney Purvis scored 27 points in his first action for the Lakeland Magic of the G League, the NBA’s development circuit, on Monday night. Purvis was with Orlando in training camp. At Lakeland, is playing for former South Florida coach Stan Heath. Lakeland plays at Westchester, NY on Nov. 19. … Amida Brimah is on the Austin Spurs roster. Daniel Hamilton, Oklahoma City Blue has a “two-way contract” with the Thunder, is assigned to the G League to start the season. Emeka Okafor, Delaware 87ers who is trying to make an NBA comeback after four seasons, is continuing his efforts after Philadelphia cut him late in camp. Veteran Marcus Williams, Reno Bighorns is also trying to make an NBA comeback after several seasons overseas,. …DeAndre Daniels is with the Erie BayHawks. “It wasn’t really a tough decision for me,” Daniels, who has played overseas since winning the 2014 NCAA title at UConn, told goerie.com. “This is where I want to be. I want to play in the NBA. I want to keep chasing my dream. I’m very excited to be here.”

Yeah I saw that KSTW.... I thought it might be a fluke after he shot 80% in the pre-season. But 14 for 16 last night .......what's he been eatin' for breakfast ?... LOL!

It’s a very dramatic improvement! Only 9 games so far but he is shooting more than twice his NBA career 38% on FTs. Remember he shot 29% his one season at UConn which was apparently the worst ever for a starting high division 1 college player.

Even if he comes back to Earth a bit and shoots 50-55% FTs for the season, it would be a great improvement from awful.

Rodney Purvis... ( he's starting along side Cincy's Troy Caupain) ...last game 31 points and no TO's:
(in first 2 games- .500 FG / .455 3pt% / .800 Ft% --- 25.5 ppg,
it's early but maybe him and Andre are eating the same breakfast)
Lakeland Magic Roster & stats

Rodney certainly has a pro body, nobody could ever take that away from him, and he can be a streak shooter. But his decision making and handle are weak, and one would think at the high pro level it would be exposed.......

I watched the Hornets-Knicks game last night with some interest to watch the Kemba Walker-Jeremy Lamb backcourt. THe Hornets are without 2 starters, Nicholas Batum and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and their jobs are being done mostly by Dwayne Bacon and Michael Carter-Williams. Kemba and Jeremy played well, and as Walt Frazier said, with Lamb and Bacon in the game, there was plenty of meat on the floor, although only Lamb tasted good last night (Bacon failed to score). Charlotte had 15 3s in the game (4 by Kemba and 3 by Lamb), but they faded badly in the 4th quarter, missing their last 7 and getting beaten up a little bit on the boards. The Knicks had far more energy late and are now 6-4, which is very surprising especially considering the Knicks played a 19 year old rookie point guard most of the 4th quarter (Frank Nkilitina). Nkilitina is long and athletic and looks like he could be a real good player down the road, but right now he seems to be playing a lot based on his defensive abilities on the ball. He looks a little indecisive on offense and I think it will take time for him to develop into a good offensive player.

I was amused watching the defense of Dwight Howard on Kristaps Porzingis, who had a game high 28 points. Howard played very physically with KP, consisting in a lot of pushing and shoving and whenever KP tried to run the baseline under the hoop hoping for an entry pass, Howard shoved him out of bounds. Howard mostly got away with it, and wore KP down a bit. KP hit 3 3 pointers early in the game, and it occurred to me that a 7'3" who can stroke like that from 3 cannot be covered. Nobody in the NBA can get a hand in this guy's face when he is shooting 3s. The 7 footers in the league are not really built to defend on the perimeter, although Howard did do a pretty physical job on KP rest of the game.

Last edited:
By the way another UConn sighting on the NBA media scene is former UConn baller Swin Cash who is now doing the Jeff Hornacek Coaches show on MSG. As part of that show she is interviewing various NY Knicks players and NY Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek. One really interesting segment of the show, and not sure if it was Swin’s idea or the producers, is she whipped out a bunch of NBA trading cards from the 1990-91 season and asked Jeff Hornacek to tell a story about the player on each card he picked out. Not sure if the stack was pre-loaded or not but Hornacek ended up telling interesting stories about former teammates and adversaries like Chris Mullin, John Stockton, and James Donaldson, among others. Swin also interviewed Kyle “The Gift from Flushing” O’Quinn and Courtney Lee among others. It’s an interesting show.

He's starting to carve a roll out. He's averaged about 20 mins/12.5 pts pg in the last 4 and Portland is even using some 3 guard offense with him..... Small sample size but he's shooting 71% on 3's so far......

First this story
Shabazz Napier’s Improved Play Noticed by Damian Lillard, Terry Stotts

....then he follows it up with this game a day later, also sounds very humble & respectful in his interview after leading his team to the comeback win:
Shabazz Napier sparks Trail Blazers in 99-94 win over Orlando Magic: Rapid Reaction

Last edited:
Monster game by Drummond vs. Celtics tonight in Detroit's 118-108 win:

26 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 6-8 FTs

Monster game by Drummond vs. Celtics tonight in Detroit's 118-108 win:
26 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 6-8 FTs
Good call, I was watching that game live on Comcast New England.... Was suprised at his FT's.. Andre looked pretty comfortable from the line (he's got a new FT form), he made 5-6 FT's in the last few minutes to put away the game and he's still at 62% on the year. Heinsohn was even commenting about his development coming out of Uconn & staying a decent FT shooter if he keeps his new form.

Last edited:
The guy who does play by play for Celtics used to do play by play on UConn games on the Big East network in the 1980s-1990s...........

Yeah Mike Gorman, I remember him doing those games when Uconn/ Calhoun was just getting started maybe even against the Russians or some team like that.....one more note I saw on Drummond looking at his stats page, he's leading the NBA in rebounds again (plus his team in blocks & steals, 3rd in asst)....homeboy is getting paid this year, signed a max deal for the next 5 years @

$22,116,750
$23,775,506
$25,434,263
$27,093,019
$28,751,775

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT