ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Men's Basketball Postgame (Florida) - 11/17/19

UConn won that game against Florida on the defensive end. They really need to start playing better offensive basketball and the Charleston Classic is an opportunity for that to happen especially with Bouknight now in the mix. Having more depth helps. It would still have been nice to also have Springs because Carlton is the only legit 5 on that roster and he is sooner or later going to have serious foul trouble necessitating Whaley or Akok to play the 5. Which is not what you want.

Vital the only AAC player to make top 5 .....2 weeks in a row:

Last edited:
UConn won that game against Florida on the defensive end. They really need to start playing better offensive basketball and the Charleston Classic is an opportunity for that to happen especially with Bouknight now in the mix. Having more depth helps. It would still have been nice to also have Springs because Carlton is the only legit 5 on that roster and he is sooner or later going to have serious foul trouble necessitating Whaley or Akok to play the 5. Which is not what you want.
The way Whaley has been playing D and ripping rebounds, Uconn has no problems with him at the 5. Big upgrade over Cobb , who couldn't guard a chair on high ball screens/pick and rolls. Also I'll post their line-up but Uconn may have to go way smaller in game one vs. Buffalo. They play an extreme small ball line-up.

Last edited:
I don't think Whaley is big enough to be effective against real big 5s, but we will see. He has been solid but I don't like him at the 5 for long stretches. Buffalo could be a team where UConn is fine with him playing a lot at the 5; not so much against other teams.

Well I don't know if you noticed but all of FLA's 5's he played against were 6-10 or bigger and he was more efficient than Carlton in his 16 minutes off the bench. ( 7pts on 3/4 FG's/ 6 rebs / 1blk) ....he was rebounding like Rodman for his size.

But he's not the match-up I'm thinking about vs. BUF. It's Akok and Polley trying to guard their small ball line-up( I posted it ) off the dribble. And will Hurley bench Carlton and go small like he did vs. St joes to put in a smaller line-up to match them instead of trying to exploit his size advantage...which I thought was a big mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT