ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Men's Basketball Postgame (Drexel) - 12/18/18

Great Score but man there were stretches where we still look so average. I hope Wilson can get going, he clearly has athletic ability.

Dom,

UConn shot 60% FGs for the game, 64.5% in the second half, and they also made 10-17 3 pointers. This was in a game in which they also played really good D. The 10 turnovers was a step in the right direction, especially after Gilbert had 9 in the prior 2 games. Tim Welsh noted that one of the reasons for all the UConn TOs was that the UConn guards, especially Gilbert and Vital and Adams, sometimes play too fast. In this game they were all 3 of them better. Gilbert could jack up his assist totals a bit, but this game was a positive step in the right direction for him. Sidney Wilson is looking like an athletic, energetic 2 way player who is very active on D and in going after O-boards. Just when Polley looks like he could lose some PT, he hits a bunch of 3s and reminds everyone he is the best 3 point shooter on the team. Cobb and Whaley are not getting off the bench. It seems like Hurley is mostly going to rotate Carlton and Yakwe at the 5. I believe Yakwe should start against Villanova, based on his experience, the recent quality of his play, and the fact that Carlton just has not shown up against the high D-1 opponents, whatsoever. Carlton can come off the bench until such time as he shows himself to be a factor against a P5 calibre team.

Tarin Smith continues to be very productive off the bench. That left handed tomahawk dunk may have been the throwdown of the year. It's brave to go up high for a dunk like that when you have a great chance of getting fouled and/or undercut.

Last edited:
I'll start with only 10 TO's( :) ), but it was a night and day performance from the Manhattan game. Once some of the guys stopped their happy feet TO's early in the first half and AG stopped his useless drives into the cluttered lane, they actually looked like a team. (especially with Smith running the point- star of the game) Good ball movement after that... which I had thought they'd forgot about since most of the FSU game. Also helps when they hit from 3. Thought CV played a perfect game for him, only took what the D gave him on O and continued with the glue guy stuff .....Plus welcome back Jalen ( but ya got to pick it up on D).

So maybe Hurley is finally getting them to drop the hero ball, but we'll see once the comp intensifies on SAT vs. Nova..... Pressure D has been a constant and Yakwe helped at the end of the shot clock by cleaning up some last second breakdowns, so that was a plus. Vegas had Uconn -15 so they thought this would be a closer one. (Drexel was averaging 81 pg)

Drexel box score

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed the poor D from Jalen, Gary Apple mentioned his foul trouble but UConn has 5 quality guards and there is no excuse to be playing matador D with 2 fouls. Jalen has been the one guard who has been consistently lackadaisacal on D and allowing his man to get into the lane, and the coaches need to take him out when that happens.

Reactions: the Blades
Yeah I noticed the poor D from Jalen, Gary Apple mentioned his foul trouble but UConn has 5 quality guards and there is no excuse to be playing matador D with 2 fouls. Jalen has been the one guard who has been consistently lackadaisacal on D and allowing his man to get into the lane, and the coaches need to take him out when that happens.
+1, Jalen seems to forget at times what my old HS coach use to say " you play D with your feet not your hands" ..... If he'd keep his feet in front of the defender, he'll have nowhere to go and he won't get in foul trouble....

ADVERTISEMENT