ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Memphis

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Memphis is playing very well the last two games and they have to win tomorrow to get into the NCAA tournament and (possibly) save Josh Pastner from being fired. They are a good team and are certainly better right now than the team UConn beat by 20 in Mempis.

Memphis is really dominating in the paint. This is a concern, because they did it to UConn in the first game (I think Brimah missed that one, but UConn won anyway with late heroics by Gibbs).

Yep Brimah was out during that 1st matchup when Shaq ate Nolan, Facey & Miller for dinner down low. Obviously a lot more at stake for Memphis but this tournament is ours to lose. We match up extremely well vs them.

I'm guessing Temple and Cincy will be rooting hard for UConn. You can bet the farm that if Memphis gets the automatic bid, it's coming out of the AAC's hide. UConn/Cincy/Temple will be the ones to take the fall, as opposed to bubble teams from other conferences. As always, it's better for UConn to just win outright, and not leave it in the committee's hands.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
USNA90,

I was thinking exactly the same thing. If Memphis gets the automatic bid, my feeling is Temple could be left out, which seems absurd, given that they were the regular season champion. The NCAA only wants a 3 team quota from the AAC, and the 3 should be Temple, UConn and Cincy, but if Memphis upsets that equation, I think Temple gets squeezed, because they lost so badly today, and I think Cincy has better RPI numbers and, frankly, a better team than Temple. I thought that all season and I still think that. Other than SMU, Cincy was the best team UConn played in the AAC this year.

It was just bad luck for the conference that the three bubble teams all ended up on the same side of the tournament bracket.

On the ESPN conversation Memphis fans have been claiming UConn has tired legs, and Memphis is coasting on cruise contol and UConn has an updeal battle against fatigue. UConn shot 51% and held Temple to 35% and outrebounded Temple by ! and outshot Temple on FTs. Those are not tired stats. UConn had the tough side of the bracket, Anyone could see that, Memphis thinks UConn is too tired to play and willl be found to be y

Disregarding the last time we played Memphis this season, throughout the years they have always been close and competitive games. Both teams have something to play for but I agree with Silk, this is our tournament to lose. We are on such a roll right now and I do not think Memphis will have enough answers for us down the stretch. Goodwin is their only true threat inside; if we attack the paint and dish it up to Brimah or Miller, they will get exposed. We just got to keep playing with the same intensity and desire throughout the entire game and we should walk away as conference champions.

Memphis played without Woodson their best 3pt shooter ( 44%) vs. Tulane, because he injured his shoulder vs. Tulsa, he is uncertain for today. They played a little bigger than normal with Lawson, Goodwin and that 6-11 kid all getting double figures with Marshall playing alot more than usual.... They also use that FB running back, Sam Craft for back court depth. Should be interesting to see how KO matches up vs. them and if Woodson will play or if they have to start Crawford again who is no threat ( 5% on 3's) from outside.

Last edited:
Woodson is supposedly a game time decision.....it will be interesting to see if he plays and gives it a shot.

It's embarrassing that UConn has to play zone to stop Memphis' inside onslaught. The bigs can't be this weak.

Last edited:
UConn got away with playing lots of zone to hide the foul trouble because of weak D by the bigs, mainly because Memphis guards suck and Woodson not around to bust the zone. UConn should play more zone second half but they really need to get Enoch to play better defense without fouling. And did Brimah really need to lower his shoulder and pick up that offensive foul with all the defensive fouls being committed? This really concerns me against big strong teams UConn can and will face. Gotta play stronger and hold position!!!!!

Ollie must have taken Memphis. Way to get Brimah out after his third.

Can Gibbs be anymore useless? SIck of his line drive three's that rim out to the free throw line and start fast breaks. PUT IN ADAMS

Our front line at game's end may be Calhoun, Cassell and the walk on Doctor.

This is the worst foul trouble UConn has been all year- the team is playing too aggressively with all these bumps. The 3Rd on Miller not necessary. Ollie should have stayed in a zone not only to hide the foul trouble but Memphis doesn't have their zone buster.

Some dicey moments in the second half, but they took the punch and finished with a flurry. Ollie still scares me, but it's beginning to look like Husky Hoops.

This was a game we would have lost earlier in the year. Gibbs actually made the big 3 of the game to get it back to 7.

One thing I will say is this team looks very tight nit. Guys on the bench are as happy as the guys making the plays. That culture starts at the top and Ollie deserves tremendous credit for that.

Cannot be prouder of this team. Everything was going against us heading into the conference tournament and we just stuck together. It takes a lot of mental toughness and desire to pull something like this off and we can call ourselves the AAC tournament champions!!! Through all the ups and downs, we are going to the big dance and hopefully we can make a run at the chip!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT