ADVERTISEMENT

UConn in 2017 SG John Petty's Top 5

3uconn

Gold Member
Feb 4, 2013
This one seems to have come out of almost nowhere but is great news. 28th ranked prospect in 2017 by Rival's rankings.

Reactions: Afghusky15
Looks like Petty was on the USA U-18 trial roster and pulled himself out due to injury. Nothing serious however. Could be another case where Ollie fell in love with what he saw in that short time and Petty liked Ollie.

Wonder if the other huge news is that any chance at Hamidou going to Uconn is toast ....since they've been offering all these 2017 SG's lately ?

Wonder if the other huge news is that any chance at Hamidou going to Uconn is toast ....since they've been offering all these 2017 SG's lately ?

Highly doubt that's the case. Ham D is the #1 target and he knows that. I think this is more of building relationships in the chance Ham D decides to go elsewhere and the staff doesn't want to be caught with their pants down.

Always have to have contingency plans and say a guy who is lower on the wish list wants to commit the staff could tell them to hold off until Diallo makes his decision. That scenario happens a lot in college sports

So these guys are Uconn's plan B, wonder how they feel about that ???.... so your saying
it's not a commit-able offer...I hear that alot on FB boards from opposing fans....
Not that Uconn hasn't had success with plan B's before....see
Jennings/ Kemba......
Knight/ Selby/ Joseph and they end up with Bazz (so was he a plan D ? gotta luv it..LOL !)

Last edited:
Petty easily can and probably will play the 3 for whatever team he commits to.

Petty easily can and probably will play the 3 for whatever team he commits to.
Yeah I guess..... they could go with the 3 guards thing but that would mean SF's Larrier( SO) and Vance( FR) would be sitting. With what Uconn has for Sr's, (SG Purvis, PF Facey and C Brimah) I would think one of each is the priority and Jalen might be the most NBA ready to leave early if he had a big jump this year......so maybe KO brings in 4 recruits tops(including a PG) with an extra open schollie like this year.

But it's a long time until the late signing day & plenty can change.... so I guess they have to keep alot of recruits in the loop, but I can't see KO having the luxury of telling any top 60 or so kid on down, who wants to commit, to just hold off "your only our back-up plan".
If I was that kid I'd have to cut that school right off my list.

Last edited:
Since we talked about him in this thread and Uconn has certainly offered a bunch of 2017 guards...I saw this yesterday:
" There has been speculation that Hamidou Diallo, a five-star 6-5 combo guard at Putnam Science, where he is playing as a postgrad, could go straight from prep school to the NBA draft. Diallo, who is close with UConn freshman Mamadou Diarra, has been to UConn for many games, but he has a long list of schools after him, including Kentucky. Though he recently acknowledged the prep-to-pros route is possible, he told SNY.tv he is not thinking that way right now. "I'm honestly just thinking about college right now," he said. "I want to go to college for sure."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT