ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball UConn Hoops Freshmen Intros -- Five-Star G Stephon Castle

Not sure I get this statement:

"A lot of Castle’s playing time and usage hinges on whether or not Andre Jackson Jr. and Tristen Newton stay in the draft. As of now, they’re in the draft, but the prospect of either returning places Castle’s minutes in jeopardy."

I don't understand how Tristen and AJ returning would impact Castle's minutes. It seems to me that all 3 would start with Karaban and Clingan if Tristen and AJ come back. I don't see Diarra as anything more than a 4th or 5th guard. If only Tristen came back, Castle would likely start in a 2 point guard lineup, although both of those players are really bigger combo guards. If just AJ is back, Castle is the starting PG, AJ is a starting small point forward and Solomon Ball likely starts at shooting guard. Diarra is the bench and maybe they add a guard.

Am I missing something here?

Reactions: the Blades
"A lot of Castle’s playing time and usage hinges on whether or not Andre Jackson Jr. and Tristen Newton stay in the draft. As of now, they’re in the draft, but the prospect of either returning places Castle’s minutes in jeopardy."

I don't understand how Tristen and AJ returning would impact Castle's minutes. It seems to me that all 3 would start with Karaban and Clingan if Tristen and AJ come back.
I don't see Diarra as anything more than a 4th or 5th guard. If only Tristen came back, Castle would likely start in a 2 point guard lineup, although both of those players are really bigger combo guards. Diarra is the bench and maybe they add a guard.

100%.......... Diarra is not starting over a McD AA/ 9th ranked player in the class in any way shape or form.
Meaning even if both came back he's a starter. Who's gonna take Castle's minutes away as Hawkins replacement, in this case as a CG. ? The kid from Greece ?

The kid from Greece could be an interesting bench piece and MAYBE fill the Joey C 3 point shooter role. I am a little concerned by the loss of Hawkins, Joey C and Alleyne 3 point production. The Greek kid could be part of the answer. Joey C wasn't asked to do a whole lot more than shoot 3s, and the Greek kid appears to be able to shoot.

The kid from Greece could be an interesting bench piece and MAYBE fill the Joey C 3 point shooter role. I am a little concerned by the loss of Hawkins, Joey C and Alleyne 3 point production. The Greek kid could be part of the answer. Joey C wasn't asked to do a whole lot more than shoot 3s, and the Greek kid appears to be able to shoot.
That's the hope as a bench guy and DH did give a mention of more from Apostolos along with Samson and Diarra at the end of the year. I recall going to the Blue and White scrimmage and him playing as one of the main ten guys, but I think he struggled shooting.....( yep found it ) Here was my short recap.... Post #3- Nov 3, 2022 ....not a bad pre-season preview before the games even started...;)

But with DH's mention and him staying with Uconn, I hope AR can give the team something along the lines of Joey as you say. Then this from his bio: " in the FIBA U18 European Challenges, averaging 8.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists and shot 37.0 percent from three-point range." So hope springs eternal....

Last edited:
Not sure I get this statement:

I don't understand how Tristen and AJ returning would impact Castle's minutes. It seems to me that all 3 would start with Karaban and Clingan if Tristen and AJ come back. I don't see Diarra as anything more than a 4th or 5th guard. If only Tristen came back, Castle would likely start in a 2 point guard lineup, although both of those players are really bigger combo guards. If just AJ is back, Castle is the starting PG, AJ is a starting small point forward and Solomon Ball likely starts at shooting guard. Diarra is the bench and maybe they add a guard.

This is a fair question. I think the confusion here stems from the idea that the floor of his playing time is extremely high. AJ and TN returning will be the difference between Castle maybe logging 20-25 minutes per game versus 30-33. Diarra won't command too many minutes, but there is a lot more room for Castle if neither of the draftees eligible to return come back.

I can see that being the case if both AJ and TN return. But Castle will be starting whether both come back, one or neither. In the scenario of both coming back, Ball and Diarra will come off the bench and they may cut into Castle's minutes some, more than AJ's or Tristen's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT