ADVERTISEMENT

UConn holds Cincy to 5 first half points

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe the best defense UConn has ever played in one half. And they did it without their best defensive player, Gabby Williams.

Cincy held to 13.8% FGs for the game!!!!!! Don't know if that is a record but I do know it is brick city.

Azura is such a mismatch most nights. She'll be the difference this year.

Azura could have made a few more buckets this game, but she was certainly good enough. She sometimes is thrown off a little when defended physically. She got bumped/fouled a few times and it was not called but she needs to power it up through contact a little better than she did. Just power it up and through the contact and get the and 1, like Bent did at the end of the game.

I don't disagree, but She was fouled on a few of those. She got the "Lebron play on" treatment.

She isn’t LeBron. Contact bothers her. LeBron powers through contact and scores very consistently and doesn’t get the and 1. Stevens isn’t strong enough to absorb the contact and it throws her off just enough that she misses. Note that she was next to invisible against South Carolina and Aja Wilson. Wilson is a big strong girl, not as skilled as Stevens but plays great D. Stevens needs to step it up against the better competition. She did play well against ND and in fact was a big reason why UConn won that game. We need to see more of the same.

My point is Lebron doesn't get the superstar whistle that some of the other immortals received. Probably because he is so strong and plays through contact.

I think Stephens is just feeling comfortable with her role and is finally confident as a result.

LeBron plays through contact better than any NBA player in history which is why he doesn’t get the calls. Refs expect players to bounce from contact, that’s what they want to see to blow whistle. LeBron absorbs all contact and scores. Shaq ONeal was the same way but he didn’t drive and get repeatedly fouled and grabbed and pushed like LeBron does. All of which makes LeBron a bad comparison because unlike LeBron, Stevens is bothered by contact around the basket. It throws her off. Whether they are called fouls or not is irrelevant. She needs to power through and score like LeBron and Shaq. Stevens’ NBA comparison would be someone like Tim Duncan although Duncan wasn’t really bothered much by contact. She can be like Duncan was if she gets stronger.

No comparison. Just that she didn't get 2/3 obvious calls last night.

Btw, iT's a little late now, but I'd start Stevens over Collier in the big dance. She's just different and The attention she gets in the paint will create space for the shooters(Lou, Kia and Crystal).

ADVERTISEMENT