ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Hockey Shocks NCAA champ Union 3-2

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Guys I was at this game in Bridgeport tonight. UConn scored 3 incredible goals, dodged numerous bullets and came away with a 3-2 win. Union was whistled for 2 game misconducts in the last 10 minutes, the first when a Union player threw his stick at the referee and was called for embellishment, the second when a Union player smashed a defenseless UConn player's head into the boards resulting in a 5 minute power play that essentially ended the game. UConn looked very opportunistic this game and their goalie played well!!!!! Another impressive win for the Huskies.

The Frozen Holiday Classic championship game between UConn and #7 ranked UMass-Lowell will be televised on CPTV tonight at 6 pm.

Nice win, didn't get to see anything but the box score, Uconn's got all their wins vs teams that are (or in Union's case
were just recently) in the USCHO.com Rankings....also good to see Uconn Hockey get some TV play.....I'll be sure
to tune in after I get back from the hoops game today...they also have a TV game on NBC Sports at Notre Dame next
month and a NESN tilt at New Hampshire in Feb. ............also, I just found some highlights on :
Fox CT- Uconn over Union 3-2
This post was edited on 12/28 11:04 AM by the Blades

Blades, the game seemed to change when UConn scored to take a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period. Up until that point, Union probably had the edge in play territorially and better scoring chances. That being said, all 3 of UConn goals were spectacular. The first was on a nifty pass to a guy streaking towards goal, the second was an incredible backhanded, off balance slap shot that was perfectly placed, and the third was on a tremendous slap shot pretty point blank by the freshman.

Right after UConn went up 3-2, Union had a breakaway and the Union player got taken down. The refs immediately and properly whistled the UConn guy who took down the Union player who broke away. All of a sudden I see a hockey stick flying towards the ref and it almost hit him! At first I thought the penalized UConn player threw the stick and then I realized the Union player had done it. I don't know if he thought that a penalty had not been called, or if he was just frustrated but I never saw a hockey stick thrown at a ref in a hockey game before this. So Union's player got 2 minutes for "embellishment" and a 10 minute game misconduct which washed out the Union power play, although UConn then picked up another penalty which they killed.

Then with just over 5 minutes to go, right in front of me, a defenseless UConn player with his back to the play got his head smashed into the boards harder than I have ever seen. This ended up being a game misconduct as well, Union player was ejected and UConn had a 5 minute power play basically to end the game. These penalties basically sank Union's chances to tie the game.

The UConn player who got boarded was motionless for a few seconds and honestly I thought the kid was out cold and would have to be stretchered off the ice, that is how hard he was hit. I was also thinking possible neck injury and paralysis because his head looked like it snapped back as he was smashed into the boards. However after being down for a few minutes he skated off under his own power. That kid likely has a concussion at least.

It was an enjoyable game but the crowd was not very big and there was a large group of Union fans in front of me, I would say it was 50-50 between UConn and Union fans at the arena.

I ate some pepperoni pizza ($4.25 per slice) and frozen custard ($6) at the game. My buddy had a cup of Heineken for which they charged him $9. While parking in the garage was $20 for the UConn-Columbia basketball game, it was only $10 for the hockey game. My ticket was $25 and I had a really good seat with good view of the action. My buddy and I both enjoyed the game.

This post was edited on 12/28 11:25 AM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

Hopefully Segalla, who took that hit, is all right and isn't out long. He's one of Uconn's better defenseman and was a NHL pick
by Pittsburgh. I thought about going but already have great season tix up here in Hartford for $15 a game, so I passed on the drive and the $28 ticketmaster was charging. But I may get down to Webster for the Colorado College or Notre Dame game. Thanks and good to know some $ details, though I make it a habit of skipping arena concessions, LOL !

Seems like it's a tougher sell for Uconn Hockey down in Bridgeport than in Hartford, but I also saw there were 3 D-1
hockey games down in southern CT last night. Yale played the Russians over at the Whale in New Haven and Quinnipiac
also had a home game. All 3 had over 3,000 paid attendance...but Uconn's been a big hit and averaged 6,200 at the XL so far.

Blades,

The pepperoni pizza was not bad- I had 2 slices, $8.50 for both, and throw in $4 for a bottled water and I paid $12.50 for my 1st period dinner. I went to a NY Giants football game at MetLife stadium last year and paid $5 for a slice of pizza that was garbage compared to the Webster Bank arena pie. Funny thing though: near section 102 there is a concession stand serving "New Haven style thin crust" pizza. That is where I got the slices at the hockey game yesterday. There is apparently some other pizza vendor servicing the suites, because I had a suite ticket for the UConn-Columbia game Monday night and the pizza we ate was totally different. It was a thicker crust pizza, although just as good in quality as the section 102 pizza. I think you can only get the thin crust pie from the concession stand near section 102. It's not the same as Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven, but as far as arena pizza, it was above average.

The concessionaires were selling pulled pork and Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches as well, $8-$9 neighborhood for those items. They also have buffalo and regular fried chicken tenders, hot dogs, cheeseburgers and a few other items.

Regarding Segalla, his head was smashed into the boards big time and I hope he is OK but would not be surprised if he is out tonight. I was shocked he walked off under his own power.
This post was edited on 12/28 12:59 PM by KhalidShockedTheWorld

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT