ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn has #1 Recruiting class in.....

Funches and LeBlanc were both busts but the other 3 guys were legendary UConn players. Voskuhl and Hamilton had long NBA careers.

My recollection is that after Hamilton, LeBlanc and Funches were considered top notch guys. Voskuhl was the lowest rated of the 5 and a lot of people did not think he would play much or start. Best fundamental 5 man in UConn history, not the most talented 5 but a supremely smart and well coached player who knew exactly where to be at all times, was a presence in the lane and was also mobile, a good rebounder and a good shot blocker. Mostly a garbage guy on offense but threw a great outlet pass and ran the court. UConn would be just fine if they could find some bigs who can play like Jake did. I would say he is one of the if not the most underrated players in UConn history.

Last edited:
Hardnett had a weaker handle than Purvis which limited his ability to use his main asset, speed.

Wane was a solid backup 5 and was a very underrated contributor in the championship game against Duke in 1999. He and Voskuhl at times played together and trapped Elton Brand and completely reduced Brand's effectiveness in that game. That being said Wane's career was a bit of a disappointment in my eyes as I thought he had a lot of ability and a very good, big, strong body with solid athleticism. He was quite possibly the best backup center UConn has had in the last 25 years. He and Voskuhl were a real nice 1-2 tandem at the 5.

Like I said... role players, I watched the games too you know...;)

Last edited:
Well my post was actually written for a lot of the guys who weren't watching that team. For example Aman looks like a young guy and I am guessing he wasn't even out of high school at that time and UConn may not have been on his radar. I have come to recognize that I am unfortunately becoming a "old timer" fan and in posting I have to assume these young pups didn't see what I saw. Blades I know you have watched for a while, but whether you started like me with the Corny Thompson teams, or came aboard for the Johnnie Selvie years, I wouldn't know since I haven't seen your birth certificate LOL.

One other thing on the recruiting class. I remember there was a game in the 1996-97 season when UConn played Kansas on a national TV game. Kansas was top 10 and UConn was viewed as a young reloading team that would likely be easily beaten. That was the game when UConn's freshman, and especially Hamilton, found something. They gave Kansas a really good game although ultimately they got beat. UConn also made the NIT Final 4 that year and you got the feeling they were on the verge of developing into a good team. They were one player away and they added that player the next season, my namesake Khalid El Amin. KEA was a superior ballhandler and a playmaker who made those around him better. He was also a winning type player, like Kemba and Shabazz who came after him. More than anyone else they ever had he was a coach on the floor.

Reactions: UconNell
ADVERTISEMENT