ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn @ Butler - Sat Dec 17

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
......7PM- TV: FS1
A look at Butler by the #'s.....Matta plays the starters a ton with limited bench use (only one sub has played every game).

Click Image-

9-Butler-2-2022-23-8-3.jpg

Hinkel Fieldhouse/ Big East Preview and AJ interview-

Last edited:
Good post Blades. Regarding the Butler stats, those guys can shoot 3s. 4 of their 5 starters are 3 ball threats. I was worried about Florida's 3 point shooting and it did not materialize, but UConn needs to bring the same perimeter D that they did in Florida. If UConn gets into a dogfight or is beat, it will be because Butler goes off on the 3s. This is always a concern for any top team playing on the road, because that is what usually causes road losses- 3 point explosions as a result of bad or lazy D.

The guy who I remember best from last year's games with Butler is the Eurodude Lukosius, who flashed a lot of potential in the games against UConn last year. He is clearly one of their top 2 3 point shooters and probably Andre will need to cover him. If I recall correctly Manny Bates started his career at NC State. He is a very good defensive center, perhaps the best one UConn has faced other than Cisse of Oklahoma State, who got into early foul trouble against UConn and fouled out in the 2nd half. Bates is a much more experienced veteran player than Cisse, and I do not anticipate him getting quick foul trouble, although he will have his hands full covering both Sanogo and Cling Kong. Bates is a strong dude, however, and is not likely to be as easily pushed around as Castelton of Florida was.

Other than Bates, Butler starts a smallish team, so UConn has to rough Butler up on the boards and attack the O-boards.

Speaking of Andre, that was an interesting podcast interview. Hopefully Dauster will have some other podcast interviews with other players during the season.

Last edited:
Lukosius, who flashed a lot of potential in the games against UConn last year. He is clearly one of their top 2 3 point shooters and probably Andre will need to cover him......Other than Bates, Butler starts a smallish team, so UConn has to rough Butler up on the boards and attack the O-boards.
Possibly except that I'd guess it's more likely a match-up for Karaban, because at 6-7 he's the biggest starter besides Bates and he's not particular fast. Then that would leave AJ on one of their 6-4 guards who are both scoring more/ in double digits. With either Hawkins or Newton on the other and their other 6-2 starter.

The one X-factor that could give Butler a little more size this game is.......
Forward Ali Ali (6' 8"/ 205)......... " Ali (nose) participated in Butler's practice session Wednesday. ...while wearing a protective mask.. He's been injured and unavailable across the 2022-23 Bulldogs' first 11 games. He will try to return when they host Connecticut on Dec. 17...........a transfer from Akron who averaged 13.9 points, 2.9 rebs, 2.6 assists, and 40.7 % on three-pointers last season. "

Last edited:
Here is the Butler "Dawg Talk" Podcast with Akeem Glaspie, which previews the UConn-Butler game. The hosts spend a lot more time talking about Butler than they do about UConn, but they mention that Manny Bates is a much better than anticipated transfer who is not only a stud shot blocker but a 63% FG shooter who is also hitting mid range jumpers. While Bates may be the best or at least most experienced shot blocking big UConn has seen this year, the hosts also express fear of him getting into foul trouble against the Sanogo/Clingan 2 headed monster and the very thin bench behind Bates if he does:

I'm not worried or do I care about some random guy giving an opinion. As long as Uconn does Uconn, as they have been this year, all those others who think they know ball...can FUGETABOUTIT !

The extra pass and team ball, it's a beautiful thing !

Last edited:
Horrific shooting by both teams. we are up because of our board work.

karaban and Joey C 0-10. They’ll need to knock down some shots if we want to win.

FTs 13-4, Got to keep it within 25 somehow. A lot like the Florida game.

Tonight was, by far, Sanogo's best all around game of the year- scoring, rebounding, defending, good decision making. I think he felt challenged by Manny Bates after he saw Bates' body and said to himself, "shit, that dude is as big and strong as me, I gotta get dialed in." He played like a First Team All American. I had frankly been slightly disappointed by his rebounding coming into tonight. It's acceptable but not as good as his body and aggressiveness should suggest. He should be an easy 10 rebounds per game guy with his body and game. Hopefully the challenges of playing Big East bigs will continue to stimulate his aggression.

Bares has a funny looking shot, but it works, and he is a pretty good player.

Reminded me of any early JC game....shooting doesn't always travel, especially when the rims are as tight as a babies ass, as the announcer mentioned...but defense and rebounding can always get the job done on the road. As it did in spades...

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Full read from Arruda:

INDIANAPOLIS — Dan Hurley had a feeling entering conference play that his UConn men’s basketball team’s string of coasting to double-digit victories would come to an end against Big East opponents......UConn struggled to shoot and got into a physical battle with the Bulldogs – Manny Bates and Adama Sanogo the main event down low – that allowed Butler within six points of the Huskies in the game’s final 10 minutes. But, as they’ve been able to do in all 12 contests this season, the Huskies caught fire and used a 20-5 run to extend......

“It was a typical Big East game, I mean we (only) took four free throws,” Hurley said. “But our recipe travels. Dominate the backboard, play elite defense and be a high-assist team.”

Blades is on target- when you grab 18 offensive boards, shooting percentages mean absolutely nothing and shouldn't even be discussed. And by the way this is exactly how the 1998-99 team won the championship, with defense and rebounding. The 1998-99 team went undefeated on the road, and it was a weaker shooting team than this one is (37.3.% on 3s by this team to 34.4% for the 1999 national champs). The only 2 games the 1999 team lost were at home in Hartford to Syracuse in a game in which Hamilton and Voskuhl were both out with injuries, and in Gampel to Miami by 1 point in Hamilton's first game back from injury in which he was clearly rusty.

I have actually thought there are similarities between the current and 1999 team. The 1999 team was an exceptionally strong rebounding team and had 2 good defense/rebounding centers in Voskuhl and Wane, a great rebounding 4 in Freeman and Edmund Saunders off the bench. They were also a very deep team with Albert Mouring, Rashamael Jones and EJ Harrison (probably the best walk on player in UConn history) constituting the guard depth. The consistent meal ticket for the 1999 team was defense, rebounding and transition offense.

Defense and rebounding always travels and enables you to survive the low 30s shooting performances that every team has on the road against well coached teams.

It was an extremely impressive win by UConn last night. Sanogo went off against one of the best defensive centers in the country and UConn absolutely hosed Butler on the glass 54-30. Plus 24 rebounding on the road in the Big East is a rare event and usually a winning formula.

What team from the past would you compare this one too? Probably ‘99? where we are getting contributions from 9-10 almost every night?

So far much better on offense and bench points( about 30 ppg to 20 ppg in 99')

The 3 point shooting stats are significantly better for the current team over the 1999 team. It should also be noted that while Voskuhl/Wane were a very good defense and rebounding tandem at the 5 (which is all that team needed due to explosive wing scoring from Hamilton and El Amin), Sanogo/Clingan are just as good on defense and rebounding and MUCH better on offense. Sanogo/Clingan is the best all around 5 tandem ever at UConn. One could argue Okafor/Boone/Armstrong in 2004, but I give an edge on offense to Sanogo/Clingan.

The 2004 and 2011 teams had similar high quality depth. The 2011 team's 5 position duo of Oriakhi/Okwandu was as good defensively and rebounding as it gets, but again Sanogo and Clingan are much better offensively.

The current team is better offensively than any UConn team in recent memory with the possible exception of the 2014 team, and why I say that is the 2014 team started 3 40% 3 point shooters for the season in Shabazz, Giffey and Daniels. The only real standout 3 point shooter on the current team is Joey California- who is coming off the bench. The 2014 team also shot an unbelievable 88% on FTs for the NCAA tournament, a record I predict will never be broken by any team shooting 100 or more NCAA tournament FTs. It's like Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak- not going to be touched ever.

Last edited:
So far much better on offense and bench points( about 30 ppg to 20 ppg in 99')
The eye popping stat to me is the current team is holding opponents to 37.4% FGs which is even lower than the 1999 team. So the current team is shooting a higher FG% and holding opponents to a lower FG%. It's very impressive because the 1999 team was outstanding - undefeated on the road, and 2 fluky home losses when they were not at full strength. Of course, after the full Big East schedule is played, the current teams FG% will go down some and the opponent FG% will go up, but it will be interesting to see at the end of the season where this team stacks up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT