ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting UConn Basketball lands four-star transfer guard Cam Spencer

Last edited:
This is huge and should easily pump UConn back into the top 10 for next season. UConn will now have 3 players who were high level college starters last year to go along with Clingan, who was essentially a 6th man and the talented group of freshmen. This is a deep and talented team. Spencer is as good a shooter as there is out there in college ball.

Speaking of the leader, I see they have Spencer (# 15 overall) as the 3rd highest rated transfer portal player coming into the Big East next year.....in their Top 100 portal rankings.... Nahiem Alleyne is not in the top 100 BTW, 1 of 5 Big East transfer moves they rate as" next in line". So they consider Cam a big upgrade. Also looks like Nahiem may have transferred into another bench role at St. Johns ( with 3 guards ranked ahead of him) , which I would guess was not his plan.

Big-East-Transfers-2023-24-ESPN-Rank.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of the leader, I see they have Spencer (# 15 overall) as the 3rd highest rated transfer portal player coming into the Big East next year.....in their Top 100 portal rankings.. So they consider Cam a big upgrade.
One other thing regarding upgrades....time will tell, but they rate Spencer way higher than......

51. Nicolas Timberlake, 6-4, SG, Sr., Towson Tigers
Committed to Kansas

Last edited:
CBS had Spencer at #26 in their Portal Top 50, behind the likes of the "glaringly inefficient" Caleb Love and the "undersized and defensively limited" Joe Girard, but Nick Timberlake didn't even make this top 50:
Not to be overlooked is that Spencer averaged 3.1 assists and 2 steals per game. I thought Joey C was something of an underrated passer- he had some spectacular assists over the course of the season- and Spencer's stats show he isn't afraid to pass up a shot if he isn't open. The steals totals are very impressive and tell me he probably has quick hands and/or makes good reads defensively.

Last edited:
This article speculates that Cam Spencer was after NIL money, and UConn lined his pockets with it. I have not heard this reported anywhere else as "news" (as opposed to "sheer speculation"), but this is the new frontier of sports journalism we now have to deal with:
In any event, this kind of gossip is somewhat positive for UConn, unless it causes future portal transfer players to have their hands out to Hurley and Benedict, looking for big money that is not going to be coming to them (unless Blades is the guy who is making these payments very low key and secretly, UTR😁). It was previously reported as news that Spencer left Rutgers for more NIL money, and I did read this report about Rutger being NIL deficient elsewhere:
I suspect someone connected to UConn offered Spencer something, but it's not huge money, just better than what Rutgers' Moneyboys offered him. It all goes back to this:

Last edited:
Between the Dauster podcast and the Hurley comments in the article above, the feeling seems to be that Spencer will be a plus defender. Here is something to consider: Spencer averaged twice as many steals last year as Hawkins and Joey C COMBINED. Think about that.

Between the Dauster podcast and the Hurley comments in the article above, the feeling seems to be that Spencer will be a plus defender. Here is something to consider: Spencer averaged twice as many steals last year as Hawkins and Joey C COMBINED. Think about that.
We'll see, as Dauster said not an athletic guy (like Timberlake looked), but Cam must have some of that sneaky quickness on D, like Nadav (best ever by far) did back in the day. Who would lull you to sleep and then make a break to the ball, for those who don't remember.

Last edited:
Well see, as Dauster said not an athletic guy (like Timberlake looked), but Cam must have some of that sneaky quickness on D, like Nadav (best ever by far) did back in the day. Who would lull you to sleep and then make a break to the ball, for those who don't remember.
Nadav Henefeld still has the UConn single season steals record of 138 (3.7 per game) in 1989-90. The dude had really long arms, got into the passing lanes and he probably tipped away as many passes as he stole. Here is the top 10:

1.Nadav Henefeld, 1989-90138
2.Scott Burrell, 1990-91112
3.Bobby Dulin, 1979-8083
4.Doron Sheffer, 1993-9479
5.Christian Vital, 2019-2078
6.Kemba Walker, 2010-1177
7.Scott Burrell, 1991-9275
8.Tate George, 1989-9074
9.Shabazz Napier, 2013-1473
10.Caron Butler, 2001-0271

Here is a classic 3 and D sequence by Henefeld- first he strokes the 3, and then on D he and Chris Smith stage a halfcourt trap on the ballhandler, Henefeld steals the ball and passes to Smith for an easy transition layup. This is classic:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT