ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Martin Drafted By Hawks

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Mar 28, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
Also Uconn is still ranked in the Top 10 as an NBA factory for total draft picks since 2000-

Whaley contract demonstrates that NBA teams want guys who can play D and be versatile defensively. Especially desired are big men who can defend the pick and roll, like Whaley

Reactions: the Blades
Whaley contract demonstrates that NBA teams want guys who can play D and be versatile defensively. Especially desired are big men who can defend the pick and roll, like Whaley
Yep, bigs that can defend away from the hoop are a must in todays NBA.

The article on UConn players drafted in the second round noted that only 2 of them (Cliff Robinson and Jake Voskuhl) had significant 9 plus year NBA careers. Both Cliff and Jake were excellent defenders who could defend pick and roll action. The fans who ignorantly denigrate Voskuhl fail to appreciate that he had a 9 year NBA career forged exclusively on being a versatile defender. I still say that Voskuhl in addition to his defensive ability was the best pick setter I have ever seen at UConn who never got called for offensive fouls because he knew how to plant his feet before initiating contact. He was an extreme fundamentally sound defender. He also threw as good an outlet pass as anyone. Those 3 things made him a GREAT intangibles player.

As for Cliff, I think the only reason he was drafted in the second round was that the marijuana use rumors went around on him. Sometimes rumors are just that, teams had bad info and passed on a guy who outlasted every single player drafted in the 1st round in 1989.

Last edited:
The Wrench gets a shout out from another Husky who could be his G-league coach-

Yep, seems to be an NBA plug-in type when needed, whether he's down in the G-League or brought up and needed for rotation duty due to to his mature game, physicality and being a multi-position defender. Which is a big need in today's NBA with the non-stop switching and positionless way they play.

Last edited:
What stood out about Ty in his UConn career was his body, his physical play and offensive rebounding skills. I think the NBA scouts saw him as a guy who was physically ready for the league out of college. That and defensive versatility as you said is what gets the attention of the scouts.

He looks like a pro to me. When you have a man's body and play like you have a man's body, good things generally happen.

ADVERTISEMENT