ADVERTISEMENT

TV Coverage of UConn Basketball???

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
Does anyone know what theTV coverage of UConn games will be this year for the men and women? Is the SNY deal in place? I ask because my cable carrier (Frontier Communications) pulled the plug on SNY as an included station since last season ended, and I am very seriously thinking of pulling the plug on Frontier, although it gonna cost me new hookup charges (probably a few hundred bucks) to switch to Comcast or some cable company that features SNY in its basic packages. What annoys me is that the Frontier package I purchased and am paying for (which is $185/ month for cable and hi speed internet at home, but not including cellular service which is through AT&T) was sold to me by a saleswoman who noted SNY was part of their sports package. So I would like to know how many SNY games there will be on the 2 teams because I am going to have to make some decisions...........

No announcement has been made that I know of, but ESPN controls Uconn's TV rights for this final AAC season. I know in the past SNY used to get Uconn's first FB game of the year vs. the FCS team, but this year, they didn't give it to SNY and it was only carried on ESPN3. Don't now if the last year allows the SNY package (300 hours of UConn content and over $1 million ) or not. Maybe "you'll get lucky" and ESPN will get vindictive since Uconn gave them and the AAC's 2020 TV deal the middle finger and pull all content from SNY this year.

In that case ESPN probably forces Uconn fans to watch the former SNY games on ESPN3 for the last year "they own Uconn" like they did in FB. In any event you should probably know soon. I read the hold-up with releasing the AAC hoops schedule had alot to do with TV scheduling....

Also heard the Women's AAC schedule could be out today....I'd assume we know more about the TV coverage after that.

Last edited:
I am curious as to what TV packages you guys have for cable/internet and whether it includes SNY as part of the basic, and what you are paying monthly? It depends on how many SNY games there will be if I keep my package or not. If there are just a few SNY games I do have the local sports bar option, but if it’s a bunch of games I may switch to another carrier. The removal of SNY is really the only issue I have with Frontier Communications, although $185 monthly seems like a lot for HDTV cable package and hi speed internet only. All these companies seem money grubbing now. And there are a zillion charges on the bill for regulations etc which I don’t understand how that should be my problem as it’s a business cost to comply with laws and regulations. I don’t put that shit in my client’s bills.

My solution is probably what everyone else is doing. Cut the cord....With my triple play way over $200, .... get rid of the phone & port my home number I don't want to lose to a place like Number Barn since I have another number/mobile phone.... And then no more cable. You keep the internet (negotiate a price... probably $60-90 a month ) and sign up for a streaming service that carries the Uconn channels that apply....Both Hulu + Live TV- $45 a month and YouTube TV -$50 offer a free week trial and both have a similar channel lineup of around 60 or 70..... you can punch your zip code at the links I posted to see the exact ones...
but here's a general look at the sports channels each carry for CT......click to enlarge:
Sports-Streaming-CT-north-H-YT.jpg

Last edited:
Also just read that youtube TV just dropped ESPN3 access, not sure about HULU

Does anyone know what theTV coverage of UConn games will be this year for the men and women? Is the SNY deal in place? ...
Just went to the AAC site and found the entire WBB schedule that was released today... looks like at least 12 SNY games vs. the AAC teams alone for Uconn.

And from Uconn:
UConn Women’s Hoops Releases Complete 2019-20 Season

Sixteen of UConn's games will be broadcast on SNY, the TV home of the Huskies. All games televised on SNY will be available live on ESPN3 for those who live outside the SNY broadcast footprint.

2019-20 AAC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COMPOSITE SCHEDULE (PDF)

Last edited:
Blades- I am now circling back to having to make a decision on this by the end of this month, because basketball season is rapidly approaching and I need SNY. I am already getting internet and cable (which does not include SNY) through Frontier, so here is my question. Obviously one option is to just drop Frontier cable and continue with internet only through them (depending on what deal they will offer), and then select one of those streaming service packages you posted above. However, if I choose a coaxial internet provider, or another DSL internet provider, will someone need to come out to my condo and install something or a special modem for that to happen? And what will be the startup cost?

NOTE: I have a 65" Sony smart TV and the internet network connection is a 5G Frontier network

Blades- I am now circling back to having to make a decision on this by the end of this month, because basketball season is rapidly approaching and I need SNY. I am already getting internet and cable (which does not include SNY) through Frontier, so here is my question. Obviously one option is to just drop Frontier cable and continue with internet only through them (depending on what deal they will offer), and then select one of those streaming service packages you posted above. However, if I choose a coaxial internet provider, or another DSL internet provider, will someone need to come out to my condo and install something or a special modem for that to happen? And what will be the startup cost?
NOTE: I have a 65" Sony smart TV and the internet network connection is a 5G Frontier network

I hear ya there are alot of variables in all these choices. Up here in Hartford area we get SNY with Comcast. But I'm in the same holding pattern now myself, because I was leaning towards cutting the cord with Hulu streaming ( did a week free trial to watch UConn FB on B1G network) , they have SNY but they don't have NESN ( who Uconn hockey and the Hockey East signed a 100+ game multi year package with)... Youtube TV has both plus like HULU they have all the sports networks Uconn is on this year and periodically in the future, ESPN's, CBS-SN , FS1, etc.

If your not set up with coaxial I'm sure there are set-up charges....guess you have to do alot of searching but so much of this stuff is personal preference and there are tons of stuff and message boards you can google. Plus getting a strait answer about anything/costs from the cable companies/ providers is like pulling teeth, which I'm sure is how they want it .

I guess the easiest way for you is pick a streaming service with Frontier internet only, until you think it sucks and then go from there. I haven't had DSL since I had it in my business in downtown Hartford like 10 years ago but it sucked compared to coaxial internet at my home. I hears it all depends where you're connected and if there are alot of users on your line from the post connection, but I'm no expert> I'd just say google , google as much info as possible ....that's what I do.

Last edited:
Blades,

I did my research and I have developed a strategy that will enable me to test the internet connection Frontier is providing for streaming service.

I am targeting YouTube TV for their sports programming. I discovered I can bluetooth it from my phone to my TV using my Google account. YouTube TV has a 5 day free trial and my intention is to start the free trial on November 7 and watch the UConn-Sacred Heart game on SNY the next night (November 8), which will test the connection. Since SNY is no longer available in the Frontier cable package, am I correct in assuming that what I will see on my TV screen is necessarily a sample of the streaming service I can expect through the Frontier internet connection?

One other thing I can add I've recently bought a $30 Roku device to hook up to my TV for streaming and that's what I used for my HULU free trial.. worked great, plus the Roku serves as another TV cable box with out the cable. ( each channel gives you a streaming code for the Roku )

Do I need a streaming media player like Roku to substitute for the cable box?
I used to use a PC connected to one of my TV's to watch ESPN3 and also as another way for wireless access (to stream other Comcast channels) if I wasn't on a main TV (with a cable box)..... Then I decided for $30 to buy a Roku to see how it was and the interface/remote made everything so much easier even without a streaming service. Plus Roko has free channels on it.. After that I did the Hulu free trial which already had a direct link set up on Roku remote ( easier but you can still access everything through the interface without it) ....It was all a test drive but IMHO for the $30 it is more than worth the $ even without a streaming service and in replace of one of my cable boxes. But for it to be effective for certain sports stuff NESN, SNY, etc you probably need a paid streaming service, unless there is a way to add those channels that I haven't figured out yet. Either way I figured the one time $30 wouldn't break me..to test it out.:D

4188U3OLrGL.jpg

Just found this interesting:
SNY LIVE STREAM FAQs | SNY

Q: Can I access Mets and UConn games via a connected TV device?

A: Yes. Live streams of Mets and UConn games on SNY are available via the NBC Sports app on connected TV devices after first authenticating your subscription. The NBC Sports app is powered by Playmaker Media and is available on Apple iOS, Android and select Samsung devices, as well as on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Win10 and Xbox.

I guess all apps, channel access are based on " after first authenticating your subscription. ".......If your service has that channel.... Comcast cable, Frontier cable , a Hulu acct, youtube TV etc.... but as I said above I couldn't even find SNY on the ROKU but evidently it's there.

All this stuff is different for everyone and there's a bunch of ways to do things......like most technology you need to try things out and keep pushing buttons, you wont' hurt anything..... and google , you tube video's etc. ...Info is all out there for free... so it's just search, search search....

So I started my free trial of YouTube TV. This was very easy to do. It's actually a 14 day free trial, not 5 days as I previously read and reported earlier in the the thread. So it expires 11/21/19. I downloaded the You Tube TV App on my iPhone and then started a YouTubeTV account, using my Google Mail account. Once the account was set up, my Smart TV, which also had the Youtube TV App, gave me a code to enter on my iPhone. Once I entered the Code in the YouTubeTV account on my iPhone, my YouTubeTV account then opened on Smart TV. Automatic synching. Very cool! I was able to navigate to the channels I wanted just using voice commands. I popped open SNY just by telling the TV, "SNY." However, SNY will be for tomorrow night's UConn basketball opener. For tonight, I watched a bizarre horror movie called "Get Out." A really weird movie. Anyway, the stream is perfect.

I am all set to cut the cord, NOW. Only one problem. I have a package of Cable and internet with Frontier. Obviously, I need to cut the Cable but keep the Internet. The funny thing is, on my bill, the Internet service charge is not itemized, it's bundled with the Cable, so I don't know exactly what component of the $185 monthly bill is Cable and what component is Internet. I am not exactly sure why this is the case but I am going to call and ask them to send me a bill that itemizes the charges. I am guessing it's like $110 cable/$75 internet- approximately. But the Internet is not sales taxed whereas the Cable is, so I do not understand why they can do this and whether I have been getting stuck with taxes I should not be paying.

Reactions: the Blades
Good luck and like Comcast I'm sure they'll send you to retention once you tell them...Also do some research on internet only prices, most of these companies lie to you regarding prices( double play, triple play deals etc.) so you have to be prepared to negotiate or walk away......and it sounds like they have you exactly where providers want all their customers...... unsure of what you are paying for.

I am gonna call and ask them how much of the bill is internet and how much is cable. Very simple question. I am also going to see what they say monthly internet service is on their website.

Since you mention it I do have some double
play deal, they do show Prime TV and Internet but they give a combined price for both......

Here is Frontier's own website which says their high speed internet is $34.99. If true I will go from $185 to $35 a month and then add the $50 for You Tube TV and it's $85 a month vs. the $185 I am paying now.
https://internet.frontier.com/d/plans-pricing.html

I'll be interested in how your live sports streaming is with 25 mbps. As I mentioned above it seems that the best speed you can get from Frontier (DSL ? ) is a
Max Download wired speeds as fast as 115 Mbps (Wi-Fi speeds may vary) @ $44.99/mo link- Frontier Internet

Where as Comcast (coaxial ) is up to 2000 mbps and plans like Blast! Pro ---250 Mbps $59.99/mo. or Gigabit 1,000 Mbps $89.99/mo

Here's a Speedtest link

I'll be interested in how your live sports streaming is with 25 mbps. As I mentioned above it seems that the best speed you can get from Frontier (DSL ? ) is a
Max Download wired speeds as fast as 115 Mbps (Wi-Fi speeds may vary) @ $44.99/mo link- Frontier Internet

I called Frontier and they confirmed that my current Internet speed is actually 45/6, not 25. So the question will be whether that will do the trick or if I need to pay $45 for the 115 mbps.

One other thing I can add I've recently bought a $30 Roku device to hook up to my TV for streaming and that's what I used for my HULU free trial.. worked great, plus the Roku serves as another TV cable box with out the cable. ( each channel gives you a streaming code for the Roku )

First, my internet service passed the test on the first half. It’s exactly like watching on cable.

Question on the Roku- I assume that DSL cable that runs into my cable box and the 2 Ethernet cables that run out will similarly run into and out of the Roku box?

How do the channels give you a code for the Roku? Do you mean channels on the smart TV when clicked will provide a code?

First, my internet service passed the test on the first half. It’s exactly like watching on cable.

Question on the Roku- I assume that DSL cable that runs into my cable box and the 2 Ethernet cables that run out will similarly run into and out of the Roku box?

How do the channels give you a code for the Roku? Do you mean channels on the smart TV when clicked will provide a code?
Roku is a wireless device from your wireless modem (internet). If you use it with cable service whatever channel you access on it, the Roku gives you a code and then it tells you what to do....go to the channels website/ activate and put in the code.....If you have a streaming service there is a interface in Roku for whatever one you get.. so it's already set -up for direct access to the channels provided by your streaming service. Also good news I had read Youtube ended ESPN3 access with their service...but

YouTube TV Re-Adds Support For ESPN3 - Cord Cutters News

ps. Hulu never dropped it

Well I have DSL service that comes in on a phone line. I assume there must be a port in the Roku for a DSL input and outputs for the Ethernet cables?

wow that sounds pre-historic.....But no...the Roku comes with a remote and the small box which connects to your tv through HDMI...wireless being the whole point

After I posted I realized or think I realize how this will work. Right now, the DSL Broadband wire comes in from the phone jack to the Modem. Two ethernet cables go out of the Modem, one to the Cable Set Top box and the other from the Modem to the TV. So when I pull the cable that goes from the Modem to the Cable Box, it will not need to be plugged into the Roku, and the HDMI cable that goes from the Cable Box to the TV will also no longer be needed. In effect, all the wires going into and out of the Cable Set Top Box will not be needed, if the Roku will work wirelessly.

sounds right, I have coaxial into my modem and one computer is wired to the modem ( which gives me a little stronger signal on it) but my modem still sends out a signal ( wireless) to other devices I have in my house, another computer, the Roku, a blue ray player, etc. I'd would think that your DSL modem would do the same thing (send out wireless signal)...correct ?

So I cancelled cable service but continued Internet service with Frontier. They are charging me $65/month plus another $10/month for a router so would be a total of $75/month for the internet service. They did offer me a $60/month rate ($5 per month savings) if I sign a one year contract rather than month to month.

Blades, what are you paying for Internet? Frontier told me the rates for Internet service on their website only apply for new customers, and if I were to cancel, I am not eligible for "new customer" status for 30 days post cancellation, meaning no internet 30 days. What is your deal on Internet with Comcast?

Thanks for the update K.....
I have a triple play package that retention bumped down to a $150 or so twice on 2 year deals after I told them I was done , but then they stick it to ya and sky rocket it well over 2 bills ( plus they always tax ya w/ new fees) as soon as the deal is done...this time I don't want to hear it..and i'm sure they don't want hear me....so no more phone or cable and streaming has got to be it. ( as i told you above phone #'s can be ported for $4/ month for those who don't want to lose a number)

So your internet is wrapped into that bundle and at this point they have you guessing at what you are paying for it? If you find out let me know. My base internet at 45 mbps is $65 plus there is a router fee of $10 for feeding WiFi to my other devices (laptop and iPhone).

So with YouTube TV and internet I will be paying $75 plus $50 = $125 which is still a $60 savings per month.

So with YouTube TV and internet I will be paying $75 plus $50 = $125 which is still a $60 savings per month.
That's the bottom line when you cut the cord...after that it's just internet speed/ levels of service. So I assume your streaming is working fine..

The only issue is on You Tube TV tonight I am getting all channels EXCEPT the Pittsurgh-Cleveland football game on Fox which I wanted to watch. I am getting some weird error message on this channel only: "Playback error" - "Try Back Later." Been trying since 8 pm and now having to settle for either Knicks basketball (almost like watching UConn now) or MSU-Seton Hall basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT