ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Tristen Newton returns to Storrs for fifth year

Gee you think....( note to Borges, DH's motion offense doesn't rely on a true PG, it's ball movement based postionless BB/4 out-1 in.... DUH !...I wish fans/writers who watch them all year would understand this, but either way of fricken' course he's starting !

"will almost certainly be UConn's starting point guard once again, even though the Huskies have McDonald's All-American Stephon Castle joining the program among one of the nations's top recruiting classes."

Last edited:
Yeah there is no true point guard and what's interesting about it is we continually heard during the NCAA tournament that the lack of a true point guard was "UConn's one weakness." It does kind of overlook the offense UConn was using. And it didn't matter in the end.

That being said, TOs were a bit of a problem at times last year and Newton needs to improve in that area and continue the improvements of his shooting.

Yeah there is no true point guard and what's interesting about it is we continually heard during the NCAA tournament that the lack of a true point guard was "UConn's one weakness." It does kind of overlook the offense UConn was using. And it didn't matter in the end.

That being said, TOs were a bit of a problem at times last year
and Newton needs to improve in that area and continue the improvements of his shooting.
True he's mentioned it as something to work on. But as I said last pre-season, Tristen would be the one guy Uconn will need to be an end of shot clock/ off the dribble guy for the team to be successful, when the motion offense gets stalled.

That alone means sometimes he's forced into bad spots/TO's because no one else on the team had that skill set. A Castle and Newton back court allows for alot less pressure on one guy as the break down/off the dribble scorer. From all reports on Castle anyway.

That alone means sometimes he's forced into bad spots/TO's because no one else on the team had that skill set. A Castle and Newton back court allows for alot less pressure on one guy as the break down/off the dribble scorer. From all reports on Castle anyway.
his quote today on the 2 together...

“[Going through the process has helped] just noticing what I need to do to get to the level I want to be at,” Newton said. “Working on my shooting, playing off the ball – I think next year I’ll play on the ball and off the ball. Having a great point guard come in next season, it’ll be like an NBA system, honestly… I feel like we can both play on and off the ball, we’re not both ball dominant but we can both go score and play off the ball.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT