ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Boyle to transfer

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015

Earlier this week, Tim tweeted this. So the writing was on the wall.

Boyle was a three-star recruit out of Xavier High in CT who had originally committed to BC but ended up at UConn after a coaching change up there.

He was thrown into the fire as a true freshman behind a horrid offensive line and had the misfortune of facing some of the best teams on UConn's schedule. As a sophomore, Diaco tried to redshirt him, but Casey Cochran's untimely retirement forced Boyle back into the rotation with Chandler Whitmer.

This year Boyle was part of a competition with Bryant Shirreffs and Garrett Anderson for the starting QB job, which Shirreffs won. Boyle did enter the Houston game, helping lead UConn to an upset victory, and also started the regular season finalé this year at Temple.

Boyle has the size and arm strength to succeed as a starting quarterback somewhere. He's most likely going to go the FCS route so he doesn't have to sit a year. Best of luck to him at his next stop.

Reactions: UconNell
No surprise to me. I had actually thought he would have transferred before this season to get two years since he had a redshirt year to use.

He was thrown into the fire as a true freshman behind a horrid offensive line and had the misfortune of facing some of the best teams on UConn's schedule. As a sophomore, Diaco tried to redshirt him, but Casey Cochran's untimely retirement forced Boyle back into the rotation with Chandler Whitmer..

Very True, Pasqualoni ruined that kid forcing him out there a few month into his college career, with his and Deleone's putrid zone blocking schemes. I also remember some fans screaming to rush him out thinking he was gonna turn around the team for those 2 and save their jobs....and as always thinking just the QB was the problem. He deserved better than being a sacrificial lamb. I remember the OL even talking post PP of how they hated GDL's way and then how TJ Weist finally got them on the right track with "Casey at bat ".

Best of luck Tim and thanks for the best relief appearance since Mariano Rivera vs. Houston this year.

No surprise to me. I had actually thought he would have transferred before this season to get two years since he had a redshirt year to use.

True, have to like how Boyle ended up takin' one for the team in another regards this year, as the back up to Sherriffs, so they could save the redshirt of Tyler Davis as he learned the offense.

More from Jim Fuller: Quarterback Tim Boyle to transfer from UConn

"He thought he was going to compete, they were having him compete and it didn't work out one way or the other. After the Temple game they moved him down the depth chart (Garrett Anderson served as UConn's second-string quarterback during the practices in Clearwater, Fla. heading into the St. Petersburg Bowl) so the writing was on the wall. He is a competitor and he wants to play." "He has one year of eligibility and fortunately he still has the redshirt year so hopefully that will work out,"(his Xavier Coach) Marinan said. "You have to find a school to pay two (years) to get one.

Nice, hope he gets a shot at starting QB.... they may have 2 RS-SR's ahead of him looking at their roster, so even though he can play right away going to an FCS school, maybe they'll sit him for his RS year that he's never used..

ADVERTISEMENT